Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Election explanation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default U.S. Election explanation

For your information.

Before our election for President, Senator, or Congressperson, we have primaries. Both of our two parties allow people to register as nominees for the respective positions. Usually, a sitting president, if popular, can be the second term representative of his party unopposed, but people can run against him. However, it's not cheap to get in and to win you have to have an organization in each of the 50 states, but it's not limited to Democrats or Republicans, a third party can and has been formed and run. Even a communist has and can and has run for election. No hope of winning though, just got a handful of votes.
    Some democrats could say that Pres. Biden is too old and run against him. He/she would have to register in each state and run for election to*win delegates to a party convention to*pick their*candidate. Each state has so many delegates, based on the size of the individual states' districts*and voting population. *The winner in this Primary*Delegate Election goes on to face the winner in the opposing party. It's still too early to say that nobody will run against Biden, but close as they must put a campaign organization together in every state to win.

So far Trump has a sitting fan base of 41%, 12 others are registered to challenge him for the nomination. So 13 so far are running with*Trump the*favorite.* *

The Convention of each party is made up of an allotted*number of delegates based on a state's population.* Candidates are awarded a state's party delegates*based on winning them in a state election.* Each party goes to a convention and a bargaining and voting takes place to decide who will represent that state. the winner of a majority of 51% of the delegates becomes the party nominee. and faces off against the opposing candidate.* If nobody challenges*Pres. Biden, he will be the Democratic candidate.

On the Republican side, as it stands, Trump will be the favorite and say Desantos is the other leader, they will horse trade with delegates to pick up their candidate's delegates until one of*them has more than 50%.*

The longest ballet was in 1924 it went from June24th to July 9th, 103 ballots, that's non stop, no days off.

Cheers Rodney*

P.s Sorry about the typo in the title. perhaps somebody can edit the S out for me.
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 6th June 2023 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo, in the title
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: U.S. Election explanation

Now Rodders, thanks for that bit, not unlike the Chimpanzee tea Party at London Zoo.

But as to our Donald.
    He is currently the center piece in a case regarding the outcome of the last feral erection there.

If convicted he could face gaol, so not able to stand, Correct?

But if found guilty with no incarceration process what then?

But if he was to be able to run how would the public feel about it, would it all depend on the other side candidate?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 Is that rule about the communist member still in force Rodney ? As seamen everytime in the states that was the first question asked by immigration, “ Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party ?”. If the answer was yes you weren’t allowed ashore to breed anymore little Red Devils Maybe ? There used to be a communist party in the UK but they also disappeared over the years . Think the Raving Luney Party May still be in existence though ? . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JSW. This is the current status..

President Eisenhower passed the Communist Control*act on Aug. 24th 1954 at the height of the Cold War.* It is still in effect, but not enforced.* The Communist Party of the US was formed in 1919,* The reason the enforcement died is because communism in the US died over the years that followed*the introduction of the bill shifting the US further to the right.* The strange thing*is facism is fully legal.* Periodically a few nut cases,complete with swastika arm bands and black shirts parade along with some totally non fascist parade,* But both Fascism and Communism are strictly fringe nut case organizations here. So I guess the 1954 anti communism bill did its job.

I have travelled in and out of the States by plane both as a legal immigrant on my British passport and then as *a US citizen with my US passport and never seen that paper, however I did see the papers you described*too, as a Brit MN seaman docking in Galveston*and later in New Orleans.* There was no mention of it when I applied to enter the US as an*immigrant or asked or questioned when I applied for entry as an immigrant in 1962. So I guess it faded somewhere between mid 1950s to 1960s

The few votes the communists get in the elections are by voters writing in the name of the head of the US Communist party.* As writing in a candidate for public office is legal and a line is available for write]in candidates on a ballot slip in addition to Republican and Democrats.

I must repeat the Republican party is further to the right of your Conservative* Party and the Democrat party*is more to the right than your Labor or Liberal parties are.

I am politically quite comfortable with the US system of government.* It filters down to city and state, even to nonpolitical offices like school board members and local council members.* We can tell which party the candidate privately votes for, by the way he/she answer*certain hot button questions like sex education at part of every level of education, say from grade one through to high school. Left is for it, right is opposed, so gotcha! The candidate is identified as to his/her*party preference, and people*will vote for or against technically a nonpartisan candidate running*for a nonpartisan position according to their political leanings.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers, Rodney
    R602188 Gravesend

5. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnno. Trump has over 20 cases filed against him. He was officially booked in one of them last week, a photo and a number the whole nine yards and released on bail to await trial. At least 4 of his legal team have abandoned him, due to them giving advice, like telling him to keep his mouth shut and then he goes and issues a press release and digs his legal hole deeper. He's collected millions from his loyal supporters, so keeps postponing the inevitable facing of trial, but he is running out of excuses and judges in a lot of his cases have been dumping on his lawyers and demanded firm dates of trials. If he is found guilty of just one and is a convicted criminal, even if it's a month in prison he cannot become president.

Cheers, Rodney
    R602188 Gravesend

7. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnno. I just searched the can Mr. Trump be president if convicted of a crime and spent time in jail...I am shocked as I always had heard it was No. Legally there is nothing to stop him, Legal experts say there is nothing in the Constitution to stop a convicted person from serving as president!

The chance though of a convicted person winning or getting on the ballot are slim and none. There has been a pole taken of republican voters and only 23% said they would still vote for him.

Shocked, Rodney
    R602188 Gravesend

9. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney, I suspect the Republican presidential nominations may get messy and some horse trading will take place.

Is anyone likely to run for the Democratic Nomination ? I believe it is unusual to run against a sitting President. Surely someone in the Democratic hierarchy must have a word and persuade President Biden to gracefully step aside?
    Sorry but to hold the office of the supposed to be most powerful man in he world Joe Biden is well past his sell by date.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James. Remember, the election is roughly 18 months away and a lot of water can flow under that bridge. I too think he is too old. I'm very fit for my age, I work out every day and have done since I was 27years old and realized I was fat. How many on this site can do 50 plus pushups and follow it by 50 sit ups?, I did it four months ago on a dare from a friend. My normal exercise is a 2 mile plus a bit walk over 2 bridges. 10 floor exercises which includes 35 pushuos and 35 sit ups time 3 times. I will be 87 in September. There is no way I could handle the job of President of the USA. I'm wore out at 9pm. and looking at the clock with lust to get to bed at 9.30pm. I'd kill the s.o.b. that woke up at 10pm to tell me the Russians had bombed Upwhateverstan and took the country over and what should we do about it?

I personally think the age to run should be 60 max. that means whoever wins two elections is out by 68.

I think there are a lot of Democratic senators and congressmen, state governors, even mayors of large cities watching every move Pres. Biden makes and
    ready to jump in if Pres. Biden jumps or falls out..

Cheers, Rodney
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Rodders, but a crim as president???
    But then again look around the world at some countries, and even our gov many would say act like crims at times.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnno.

The founding fathers when they wrote our constitution never in their wildest dreams considered a convicted felon running for office of the President, neither has the congress in the following years thought of putting and/or amendment to the Constitution forbidding a convict from becoming eligible for President. Neither is a lunatic forbidden, but how can a lunatic and a convict win a national election?

Only the looney tunes make the headlines in the Free press of UK, USA, and the rest of the sensibly run governments of the Western World. The Newspapers only delight about the outrageous. The person that goes to work every day, brings the pay check home to feed and shelter and cloth the
    family is not news, neither is the Congressperson or M.P. who never misses a vote or garners a scandal...Boring.

The only convict I know of was Hitler who was elected to high political office.

Cheers, Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 9th June 2023 at 04:54 PM.
    R602188 Gravesend

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast