Thread: Beer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beer

We had a thread recently regarding foods around the world but a subject closer to much of our hearts is beer. My days of heavy drinking are now long gone. Very rarely go to pubs these days but if I do it's a pint of John smiths for me, unfortunately last time I over imbibed and went ass over tit a bust my collar bone in 4 places.
    Now if you speak to a Belgium they will tell you they brew the best beers in the world.......debatable.
    I'm not really a fan of these so called real ales, find them a bit flat and taste not to my liking.
    Thinking of beers around the world that we have imbibed in, what have you enjoyed?
    Holland.... Amstel
    Germany ...hansa
    USA... Schlitz, Budweiser
    France...Stella Artois
    Mexico....Corona, dos equis
    Brazil.. brhama chop
    Japan...Kirin
    Aus...tooheys, castle Maine xxx
    Canada... Molson's and labbatts
    But I have come across beers you would not expect to see in some places.
    In British Columbia McEwan's export and Newcastle brown were readily available and walking down a street in a port in Sulawesi was amazed to see mackeson and Guinness on sale.
    Rgds
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beer

John I think there are not many countries around the world that do not sell Guinness unless they are dry states, even so called dry states including the Yemen, Saudi Arabia and the Sudan in the U.K. embassy clubs guiness was on sale normally bottled .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like you JA
    I too was a real heavy drinker in my days, and if i told how much i really consumed a day at times of my life some would say Rubbish! But its all true!
    Yes i too besides the hard Tac , liked my Beer and have also had many a good one around the various places i have been to.

I used to love the Bitter in England , as well as the old Black and Tan, other types i did not get into after tasting some.

One i did love a lot of course was the famous old Castle Lager in South Africa, seemed to me to be one of the better Lagers around.

There are some good German Beers too, so its hard to say which is the best all round!
    As i am not completely off Alcohol these days, funnily enough about a Year back now i found a Non Alcoholic Beer called Clausthaler , there is the Original Type and the Unfiltered one. I like the taste of the Unfiltered , it seems to be almost the same taste as real Beer! Without the after Headache! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I drink a midi of beer here called Great Northern, the only beer I drink now and only one when I'm driving. At home I drink a Cream Sherry smooth as.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, if you broke your collar bone in four places may I suggest you stay away from them in future,

When we owned the pubs in UK I was never a real fan of the so called 'Real Beer', too warm and yeasty for me, preferred the colder beers such as Calsburg.

In Singapore Lion beer is still good, and yes the Castle and Lion in Southa Africa were good.

I find most continental beers too sweet and yeasty for my palate.

Beer here in Oz is good, always ice cold in the bars with the glasses chilled in most places.
    We have a range of 'Dry' beers which i find more to my taste.

Yes Des, Great Northern is great mid strength brew a s is Castlemaine Gold,
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know when I worked in the middle of nowhere in the desert in the Yemen I would have loved an ice cold beer of any description, unfortunately if caught with alcohol it was instant dismissal. So never bothered smuggling any in. Today I drink weak lager like Fosters and Carlsberg and stay well away from strong lagers like Stella Artois which are known as wife beaters.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post #6. For you John. I hope it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYKeeTz7Yw

8. Thanks john walker, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Re: Beer

I can remember looking forward to and enjoying similar experiences quite a few times over my working life. I think the first time was on leaving Saudi Arabia after 1 year with about 6 days outside the country in that year. I had booked a short flight from Dhahran in the eastern province of the country, to Manama in Bahrain. (This was before they built a causway joining the two countries) It was December the 23rd. I was worried I might be bumped of the flight (Not unusual for a non believer) so I had booked a business class ticket and similar for an onward flight with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, with the logic that non believers would be bounced down to tourist class and tourist class would be bounced off before business class. The result of this was I had arrived in Manama at about 8.30 in the morning with a connection at midnight. Consequently Cathy paid for hotel accommodation in the Diplomat hotel in down town Manana. After booking into the hotel I went down to the restaurant for some breakfast, I remember ordering something like a pint of lager, a large gin and tonic 4 rashers of bacon, 2 pork sausages and 2 fried eggs. The Indian waiter was not impressed and chastised me for drinking alcohol at breakfast, my response 'Just serve it'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Signing off in Jeddah after having been on a dry ship for 4 months great run Jeddah to Ras Tanura (Petromin tankers) Flying home on the 31st December, great. Company only ever flew us British Airways or KLM.
    Really looking forward to wheels up and fasten seat belt sign to be turned off. Flight details arrive Jeddah/ Heathrow.
    Saudi Airways wow !!!! some asshole in the Jeddah office must have been pi-sing himself laughing.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Six O'clock swill, something very different way back then.

Get as many down your neck as fast as you can in one hour.

Tried Fosters once when in London, awful bloody stuff.
    Nothing like the real thing, judging by the color the brewer must have used Tames water to brew it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller