Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapse of nato

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Collapse of nato

For a little edification, after both the first and second world war end the British people were sick of war and deprivation and very close to a revolution of their own. It's obvious to me that some didn't live through it. Reading about it doesn't even bring it close.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 3rd May 2023 at 01:56 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know my father and his brothers who had all served during the war , had no time for Churchill as all said he was a warmonger. This I think was the general opinion of the working man, and think he only survived one term in office in the Peace. He was a man for the job during the war , but as the sea goer would say your only as good as your last job , and with no war there was nothing to refer back to, so to me what the media says does not match up with what I observed and is therefore incorrect news and statistics , the people who are now reporting on such were not even born then . Des’s post speaks sense and the truth and not starry eyed wishful thinking. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How easily people’s minds change , I can remember going to see Cossacks giving a horseman ship display in kingston on Thames football pitch, just before landing on the Beaches of Normandy, then they were our Brave Allies, the eyeties or better known as wops , and the yellow bandy legged midget Japanese were the enemies alongside the blond haired six foot blond Aryans with the Egyptian swastika the wrong way round tattooed on their wrists .A lot still alive today have no need to look for information about information of such taken from people’s imagination . One night in London during a blitzrieg would probably be enough for them , they might see war as it really is. JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Churchill, man for the war but little else.
    Had plans for the war to be still going in 1960 records in the Whitehall War rooms show.
    But after the war he was on a rail trip up north.
    Never got there, the train was stopped when a bomb was found on the line somewhere near Carlisle, not a German bomb!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have said it many times if it was not for a couple of Royal cousins falling out perhaps millions would not have perished in the trenches.

There is that old class and privilege term again, landed gentry.Kitch.jpg

The Christmas day truce , the game of football the Brits & Germans having a kick about and a few beers, maybe it did happen maybe it did not. But who brought the truce to an end the generals!!!they ordered hostilities to recommence. They did not want the troops having time to think about him over there in that trench is just the same as me, wht should I kill him or him kill me. The king & the Kaiser want to see who is top dog.
    I may not have first hand knowledge of the WW1&WW2 but my grand father and father certainly had, they seldom talked about it.

How many here have heard a shot being fired in anger? not many I suspect. certainly none from the WW1.
    Yes I know several say they have been bombed out during the Blitz. I am glad it was an experience I had to go through
    Anyone here old enough to have been in the MN or forces during WW2? I do remember Eric Fisher had sailed on the convoys, but sadly he seems to have passed on as Vernon tried to contact him not so long ago without success.

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trouble is, there will always be someone in charge, for the good or bad. I don't know any organisation, nation, religion or tribe, that doesn't have a leader. If people don't choose a leader, one will emerge anyway, and the rest will do as they're told in every case. It's gone on since the big bang.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The UN is now saying that reparations should be made to all countries where slaves were taken from , or countries that were taken over by another.
    Obviously not students of history as from what I and many others, know is that there is not a country on this planet that at some times has not been taken over, invaded or otherwise abused.

But those at the top as in NATO or UN do not concern themselves with such trivialities.
    As long as they are in power that is all that matters.

But in general they are fast becoming toothless and in many instance's irrelevant in todays world.
    They could well vanish and few would notice or care.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post

Yes I know several say they have been bombed out during the Blitz. I am glad it was an experience I had to go through
    Didn't know you were old enough. Personally I found nothing enjoyable about it

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the reparation for slavery could be a bit of a mistake for the people receiving it. A guy I knew at work, told me about his son who was doing his nut about slavery, they were West Indian people. He told his son to be grateful that their forefather had been taken as a slave, because if he hadn't, they would all be living a different life today. The son had a good job in the city, but was saying that he should be compensated, his dad told him not to shout too loud, or they might put things back to how his life would have been, and give him a few grand, along with a flight back to Africa.
    That guy I knew was a smashing bloke, who like me, was appreciative of what he had in life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#41 Agree with all the above, but his forefather wasn't taken as a slave, he was sold as a slave by his country men, and that's where they should be looking for reparations

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast