Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scare tactics

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Scare tactics

Many of the younger generation do not learn history as we did, it is no longer a curriculum subject here in Oz.
    So they learn from either Fake book, or some other form of social media.

There are those out there who know this and use it to attempt to gain the minds of the younger generation in order to get their ideas across.

The latest was on the net Saturday regarding what many call the 'Doomsday Glacier'

According to one source salt water is slowly eroding this away and if it continues the earth will see sea levels rise by over two meters??

This glacier is according to the report sitting in sea water so if that is correct some 4/5th is under water.
    As I am sure our James will tell us, he is a fountain of knowledge at times, that when water freezes it expands.
    It then follows that should it melt it will take up no more room than it does in a frozen state.

But already we have children as young as 6 here suffering from what doctors climate change concerns.

Then a beauty, according to them man has to date mined some 700 million tons of copper from the earth since mining of such began many moons ago.
    But if we ae to save the planet with EV and the like then we must mine the same amount in the next decade!!!!!!

Little wonder the kids are going off their heads with worry.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Scare tactics

[QUOTE=happy daze john in oz;415212

The latest was on the net Saturday regarding what many call the 'Doomsday Glacier'

According to one source salt water is slowly eroding this away and if it continues the earth will see sea levels rise by over two meters??

This glacier is according to the report sitting in sea water so if that is correct some 4/5th is under water.
    As I am sure our James will tell us, he is a fountain of knowledge at times, that when water freezes it expands.
    It then follows that should it melt it will take up no more room than it does in a frozen state.

Little wonder the kids are going off their heads with worry[/QUOTE]

John

Glaciers are land bound, so if they melt into the sea they increase the sea's volume

Icebergs float, if they melt then they have no effect on water levels, as Archimedes principle applies

Perhaps some one should teach little Johnny this then they could worry less.

No doubt if I 'm wrong, I will be corrected, I've been wrong many times before

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I definatly recall that John explained this in one of his posts a while back, that the water levels are not rising in the Pacific but the islands are sinking. Still waiting after all this time for confirmation of this but coming from an ex uni man he must be right. Wonder if any of the scientists have thought of getting in touch with him lol
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

6. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les, that theory was put forward by an English guy by the name of Bellamy many years ago.

He was laughed at by many, but last year the UN put out a statement confirming his findings.

Ivan, yes the galciers do melt, then refreeze.

In Iceland and Norway last year I went to a center for the environment, very interesting.

As the person there explained, glacier, from the French for frozen water.

Look around he said and see the glaciers now on land, many have very little snow or ice on them.
    In May the melt begins filling all the rivers and much flowing out to sea.
    But come October the freeze comes back with all the snow, the glaciers reform.

Seeing the country side as it was then I had no reason to doubt him, as there are phots there to back up his comments.

As he told us, the media use the melt to scare people.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John its all schoolboy physics and makes one wonder at some people’s intelligence. Especially as some are now grown up and take ice with their martini’s or whiskey , just ask them why their glass doesn’t overflow when the ice melts . JS A subtle answer would be because I drink it before it does ? Wrong. JS

That is David Bellamy I believe you are quoting ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th April 2023 at 07:59 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think I will believe what I read about the science explanation as to the cause of sea levels increase . Sea levels are rising due to sea temperatures increasing , as the earth is warming up because of Greenhouse gases.
    Earth’s global sea levels are rising – and are doing so at an accelerating rate. Waters in the ocean are expanding as they absorb massive amounts of heat trapped by greenhouse gases in Earth’s atmosphere. Glaciers and ice sheets are adding hundreds of gigatons of meltwater into the oceans each year. The land surface along the coasts is also creeping up and down, affecting relative sea level rise. People are feeling the impacts, as seemingly small increments of sea level rise become big problems along coastlines worldwide.

With satellites, airborne missions, shipboard measurements, and supercomputers, NASA has been investigating sea level rise for decades. Together with our international and interagency partners, we’re monitoring the causes of sea level rise with high accuracy and precision. Global sea level is rising approximately 0.13 inches (3.3 millimeters) a year. That’s 30% more than when NASA launched its first satellite mission to measure ocean heights in 1992.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea about the causes, but on visiting several places in the gulf of St Lawrence recently, I asked several people about the sea freezing over during the winter. They all said the same, that it doesn't freeze up any more, and hasn't for some years. They said they don't get the icebergs either. All of them seemed to agree that it was the environment causing it. I can remember breaking the ice for several days heading for the seaway on a Beaver boat.
    Oh yes, they also mentioned the seal killing is finished, due to no ice.

11. Thanks j.sabourn, James Curry thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, as said before, come to Melbourne and see that sea levels are no different to that of some 60 years ago.
    Yes there has been some coastal corrosion caused by continuous tidal movements.

But timbers on Station Pier show the same high tide mark they have for more than 150 years, no change there.

Put the media aside and look for your self is the only way to find the truth.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Likes Colin Wood, j.sabourn, N/A, vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Depth of all seas and oceans is calculated on the projection of the survey but is usual the height of tide upon mean Low Water Spring Tides is the height of the Sea Level , Anyone care to Quantify how this can be done at the drop of a hat ? e.g. what is the height of this initial tide above the sea bed ? Someone could just as equally come up Ith his version improvised reply and say the sea bed has fallen into a hole caused by taken too much ore or oil out of the earth. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th April 2023 at 08:54 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I will stick with modern explanations , if water is heated it expands, as it cools it contracts until it reaches 4 degs celsius after that it expands again slightly until it reaches freezing point. being 0 dgrs for fresh and approx -1.8 dgrs for sea water.
    As the worlds oceans are warming up sea levels rise fact!!!
    I don't think standing looking at some stick in Melbourne is an exact science.

I live 10 minutes from this place. It is now privately owned.

Earth Tides and Ocean Tide Loading – Bidston Observatory in retrospect

A couple of interesting videos worth a watch, just click past the adverts.

https://youtu.be/_95KS6qkzX0

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/64521/ https://youtu.be/w6Wrzs-5T5s
    Last edited by James Curry; 13th April 2023 at 10:44 AM.

16. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast