Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: People i have met

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default People i have met

I first met Eddy through my best mate who was at sea the same time asI, we had grown up together.
    My mate was secondchef at a Whitbreads pub where Eddy was the head chef, we later wereall to work for some time at the same establishment.

Eddy was a bloodygood chef, he had done his apprentice time at the Savoy in London anda first class hotel in Paris working under one of the countries topchefs there.

Having done his timeit was not long before he was called up for conscription and servedsome of his two years in the Military Police he informed me.

Once out he wentback working as a chef in Coventry where he married a local girl.
    It did not last toolong and he left her, but before leaving bought a new car on HPterms.

Being somewhatresourceful he went north to a small town outside of Coventry wherehe found an unlocked car, from there he removed the number plates andrego disc replacing them with the ones from his car. He was to dothis on six further years before getting rid of the car.
    Also used a similarmethod to get new tyres.

Back to London hesaw an add in the paper for a chef to do some in house catering at aprivate house. He answered the add and ventured out to the house.
    There he was met byReg and Ronnie Cray, a homicidal maniac and a homosexual psychotickiller.
    They wanted some oneto do some special catering for their mother’s birthday party.
    He did so well hewas asked to do another six over the next couple of years.

I was with Eddie onemorning in Lyons Corner House in Oxford Street London when who shouldwalk in But Ronnie. Wearing a very nice top coat of very goodquality.
    Eddie laterexplained that at the back of the lapels were stitched in a number ofrazor blades, grab him by the lapels and find out. He also had aspecial pocket inside the coat in which he carried a half billiardcue.

‘Good morning MrWest, I trust all is well with you, we have another party coming upsoon, will give you the details later. And who is your friend heasked.

Eddie introduced meand Ronnie shook hands with me.

Just then a guywalked in and began going down the stai rs to the toilet, must gosaid Ronnie, just seen a man I need to speak with.
    We left just afterthat.

Next day in thepapers, ‘Body of a man found in Lyons Corner house toilet, headbeaten in with a blunt instrament.

Never went into thatplace for coffee ever again, it is long gone now.
    Funny the people youmeet as you go through life.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: People i have met

in my working life i met many people one fella worked for marconi he had retired and the begged him to come back he told us lads working in his house during the war he worked on the first radar down south and the could not work out all the dead birds around the tower they seemed to be half cooked?? at that time they were working on micro waves just think how the micro wave cookers in every kitchen yet they were found buy accident during the war? in his working life with maconi he was the head of the department people made up little boxes not nowing what they did but he was the person that fixed them boxes together most for the government i have many stories of interesting people you meet along the passing of time most have long time passed.. jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    My wife and I believe that the Micro Wave ovens are the reason behind most of the Breast cancer cases, the reason, they put three big ones in the local hospital and within a few months three of the women cooks had breast cancer. I worked on a construction job that had one in the mess room, it was leaking through the door, the electrician came and took it away, I told him not to bring the bloody thing back.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was 1967 in the Lancaster gate Hotel in London that I saw the first Micro wave oven in the main galley there.

But very different from the ones today, the chef put a cup of baked beans in, and set the time.
    When done he said take the cup out,.
    The contents were boiling but the cup was still cold enough to handle without a cloth!!

Then micro meals became the go, made up meals for shift workers, on plastic trays with a small plastic stick on top.
    The stick was placed in a slot and it timed the heat required for each dish depending on what it was.

They have come a long way since then but now often being replaced by the Air Fryer.
    Thye are very versatile and cheaper to use in power costs.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    We must be doing something right with our power, our latest bill our power usage had dropped by 21% /
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, you sure you got the correct account?
    Have you been tapping into next door? LOL
    Mine is due in a couple of days, it will be fun to see after all the air con we had on during 'summer'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in hospital a few years ago talking to the fella in the next bed he had come home from the states due to health reasons talking about work life he worked for general electrics in america and was what we call head hunted by NASA anyway he finished up working on the first space shuttle you could tell he new what he was talking about? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Travelling back and forwards to Dampier in NW Australia every 6 weeks from Perth , used to fly into Karatha and hence taxi to Dampier . One trip flying home Peter Kay was on the flight and he’s as funny off the little screen as he is on .Think I have posted before. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was about 14 going home acar pulled up and asked me the way to litherland town hall as the car turned around there is a poster in the back window saying the jerry dorsy trio jerry dorsy is englbert humperdink? jp

13. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've met some right famous people, to me anyway. Until about 10 years ago I had a blues band, played with all kinds of blues men (music that is). I was always into music, and saw so many different people all over the world while at sea when younger. In the UK it was usually supporting top blues bands, and some not-so-top bands at festivals or gigs.
    All those year I never turned pro, always stayed semi pro, due to having a very good proper job for 36 years.
    Of course these people I met, may have been unheard of by many, some were just like old mates. Most are pretty old now, many are gone.
    I've often been to watch a gig in London and met old players also watching. I'd shake hands with them and catch up on things, then those with me would say "who was that then?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast