Thread: Koeberg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Koeberg

Just on Nuclear not the Subs , but have just been reading about the Nuclear Power Station in Cape Town " Koeberg" the only Nuclear Station in SAfrica, or i believe Africa!

This plant has been operating for many Years now, and supplies the Power for the Entire Cape Area, my late Brother in Law worked there, and i had the opportunity to go in and take a look at one stage! Oh Boy! what a place it was, my Eyes boggled at the workings in this massive plant!

Anyway as reading on it now, seems that they have reached almost capacity of their Nuclear Waste Facility , and wont be long before they will have to come up with an alternative dump site!

There was as i recall talking Years ago, of Transporting to either Johannesburg, or Free State to use the old unused Gold Mine Shafts, as these are really deep, but as yet have not heard anymore on it!

So wonder now what will be done with the waste in the near future!
    As the Plant is not all that far from Cape Town Centre, it i feel allready poses some risk to the Community, both in and around Cape Town, so where from here?
    Its a Big Question , and a terrible decision for the future of Cape Town and Surrounds!

There have been as still is a lot of Load Shedding going on there with many Blackouts each and every day, so even that is getting worse, as reported to me by my dear Sister

Without the "Koeberg" Power Plant, Cape Town and all surrounds will become a living Hell.

No Electricity at all??
    Shite! Its scary!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd March 2023 at 03:51 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Koeberg

Vernon, from information my brother in law gave me when working for the tax office such waste is put inlead boxes.
    Radiation cannot leak from them so safe to dispose of in a suitable spot.
    Heer inOz a lot is disposed of deep underground in the outback, way out back'
    Deep now unused gold mines would on that premise be very suitable.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then that leaves the question any future gold mined and turned into money , will it burn a hole in your pocket , tra la la , JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think they have Earthquakes in South Africa that I can recall, but just think of what would happen if one went happened in that spot
    Where they buried that stuff. They should fire it into outer space, they stuffed everything else why not space.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 24th March 2023 at 12:46 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget