Thread: Nuclear

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nuclear

Lot of talk just now about the new Subs for Oz, nuclear powered ones.

They will be docked in a couple of Oz ports at times with maintenance done there.
    But we do not have nuclear power, we are trying to build a system of wind and solar, nothing else.

Dangerous we are told, too expensive, use too much water, cannot dispose of the waste and other such actions.

Yet there are many countries with nuclear power and we supply the yellow cake for them to use.

UK is to build a number of new ones, Germany we hear is considering as they intend to keep their cola fired power stations going for longer than expected.

Yet here in Oz we take nuclear waste from a number of countries and it is stored in lead containers way up in the deserts somewhere.

We can at times be a very hypocritical nation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nuclear

John.
    I will have a talk to Albanese see what can be done about it, he is due to take a trip to China he may be able to persuade them to build one here . they have in the UK.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think that you will find that if we take in nuclear waste it is because it is a by product of the yellow cake that we sold them and not everyones waste. I for one am dead against going nuclear in power or bloody death trap subs. All this talk of them being a detterent is much like me debating something with the next door neigbour with a six gun strapped to my waist is it not. When is logic going to kick in after all these centuries of conflicts to realise we all share the one planet but like when we where at sea accept each and everyones differences and it worked did it not. Then again John maybe you are putting your hand up for a nuclear power plant close to your house and still I would oppose it.
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 21st March 2023 at 04:48 AM.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The push to nuclear reactors for power is not new, is it safe we are certainly lead to think it is.
    The alternative, renewable power, may be fine but at again what cost.
    We are told we must protect the environment in all aspects but in Queensland they plan to remove native forests to put wind farms there.
    Where is the logic?

As to nuclear waste, it was my brother in law who worked at the tax office explained it to me.
    I got the impression that not just waste from yellow cake we sold to our customers, but also from a couple of other countries, all for a fee of course.
    As we all know the most powerful weapon today is the almighty dollar.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. For a good few years now John the Americans have been bringing in their subs diesel and nuclear I suppose but don’t really know if that one is true. They sometimes come in for routine docking and a friend of mine is the skipper on the floating drydock at Garden Island Fremantle the naval base. However the work on such subs mainly is done by technicians flown in from the states . So all the statements about bringing in work for the locals , think it best we wait and see. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are so correct there John, any USA sub will only allow USA technicians.

But of course our gov may not be aware of that bit.
    I doubt at the end of the day if even 15% of the jobs promised come to fruition here for locals.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be a politician these days you need an open mouth not a brain; else our Defence Minister would not have talked about Port Kembla as a submarine base. I was in that port many times and whenever there was a big storm coming up from the Southern Ocean we had to sail, leaving men in the pubs ashore whatever, just go and head for Sydney, one time in Sydney for a week, the men left behind came up by train. The big Southerly swells used to come straight into the Port and would have smashed any ship still there.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget