Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tomatoes for sale

I loved turnips as a boy we grew heaps in the allotment, but they seemed to have got out of favour these days can't get them anywhere.
    When we lived in NZ we filled the freezer up one time with tomatoes we had that many in the garden, but when it came to eating them they turned to an unappetizing mush, they ended up with the kids throwing them into the bush, I often wonder it they generated anew .
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just before xmas 2021, I found some 'Carmelised Turnips' in the frozen section of an AldisThey were really tasty. Have searched the frozen section of Aldi, Woolies and Coles since, but have not found them aa second time.
    I often buy them from 'Earthworks' a green grocer at the Robina shopping centre.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always liked turnip and no problem getting them here. But seeing as the turnip has fallen out of favour for the pumpkin for Hollowen maybe they are not planted in the numbers they used to be.

Also Butternut Squash is easier to prepare and cooks quicker. I do not even peel it.

Another favourite is Potimarron or those down under may know it as Red Kuri Squash again easy to cook as no need to peel it eat skin as well. That seems to be difficult to find in the UK we call it Onion Squash. Looks like a small pumpkin.

Squash_(1351012634).jpg

Who usually ended up with their hands in shreds trying to carve out the centre of the turnip making a hollowen lantern?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just offhand on this , i love Baked Pumpkin with the Skin too, its delicious and Healthy! Yummy.

Made a Roast quite some time ago when my Daughter was here from Birmingham, and she said that she had never had Baked Pumpkin, she ate it like there was no Tomorrow! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only time pumpkin is really stock in the major super markets is Hollowen and they are rubbish. Ilove pumpkin roasted , steamed and pumpkin soup is great on a cold winter day

8. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turnip and parsnips are not at all popular as vegetables in the States, doesn't bother me because I don't like them. I got force-fed them while an evacuee in Yorkshire during the war, and I also hate cooked cabbage and cauliflower. Peas and carrots are ok though.

With twenty years or more in the food industry, including remote site feeding I've never come across turnips being served. We had two Canadian divisions, and I never saw turnips being served when I was visiting the camps there.

Nobody knew I hated the bloody things as it wasn't a conversational issue and never came up in my life. And come it think of it, in the larger camps we had to provide the client with a thirty day cycle menu in advance, I wasn't looking for them, but I would have remembered if I had seen them. I wouldn't have stopped them being served, just don't serve them to me.

Needless to say. my kids never saw a turnip neither. My late American wife would have never seen a turnip on a plate or gave them a thought. And I've never seen them for sale in a supermarket and I've lived in California, New York, Connecticut, South Carolina and Oklahoma. So it's fair to say that "The land of the free and the home of the brave" is turnip free too.

Cheers, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turnips are a very versatile vegetable as are pumpkins. Down to taste and budget. Here in the UK turnips are great value for money.
    I love all vegetables Parsnips , Carrots, Potatoes, Celeriac etc!! Greens like Cabbage (I would boil a cabbage to death and just drink the water, loads of pepper, but with me there certainly is a by product. Think the older I get I am eating more and more veg than meat. Love my soups, especially in winter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swede and Butternut Pumkin are popular here in Oz, but Turnips get fed to the animals.

I will make some Tomato Puree with all the left over ones this year, got a truck load.
    Cut up rough, into a pot with died onions, bit of garlic and some dried basil. Bring to boil ad simmer for some time.
    The force through a fine sieve into another pot.
    Bring back to boil and pour into glass bottles until full.
    Put lid back on and stand to one side.
    When the lid goes 'pop' it is sealed and will store for as long as I wish.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When visiting family in UK some years ago, we were driving up from Bognor to London when my wife (an OZZIE) saw a sign saying Queensland Blue pumpkin, so we diverted and bought one. When we got to my older sister's house, her family were quite shocked, as they thought only West Indians eat pumpkin.

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking of boiling cabbage, when i was at sea i went through a period of having boils, i think probably others have to. These things used to well up into a large lump full of puss until they developed a head and could be dealt with, used to just get rid of one, and another would start some where else, sometimes on my back where you could not treat them yourself. treated with a hot poultice usually. anyway, back to the vegetables, i was told drink the cabbage water after cooking the cabbage, this i did, and these things disappeared from that moment i started drinking the water.
    R689823

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast