Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tomatoes for sale

Both my lads are some distance away on the mainland, so its me and my wife, we share everything, all money in joint names, we share housework, we have visitors on Saturday, so its blitz the house, so i,m hoovering and dusting, cooking breakfast etc, while my wife cleans the bathrooms, later she is baking and i am mowing the lawns, so later tonight it will be TV on, armchair, and in seconds fast asleep til bedtime. but at 82 and 78 we are just pleased to be here still.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Both my lads are some distance away on the mainland, so its me and my wife, we share everything, all money in joint names, we share housework, we have visitors on Saturday, so its blitz the house, so i,m hoovering and dusting, cooking breakfast etc, while my wife cleans the bathrooms, later she is baking and i am mowing the lawns, so later tonight it will be TV on, armchair, and in seconds fast asleep til bedtime. but at 82 and 78 we are just pleased to be here still.
    Aye Keith, always good to wake up in the morning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just going back to the Tomato issue and the crop of John, mate why not go into Jam making, Tomato Jam is delicious and around here pretty hard to get, Its quite a Popular Jam here too.
    Not at all hard to make either , and with a little practice you will soon be a Fundi!!

Dont forget to ship a few Bottles here! LOL

I absolutely love it!

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Vernon, never heard of it.
    When I have a surplus I make tomato puree to use later in the year in cooking.
    Terri does not cook, never had to as I always did it, being hospitality all my life, not even sure if she can.
    But can make a great cake or apple pie.

But we share every thing else, it works well for us even when we at times disagree.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bleedin Heck!! Tomato Jam never heard of it and in the Catering for so many Years! I cannot believe that mate! As said easy to make very Popular here in NSW and was always one of the most popular in South Africa!

Give it a try mate you will be surprised! Some good recipes on the Net!

Cheers

All you need

Tomatoes, Lemon, Sugar, Pectin. The Jar and Airtight Lids!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 3rd March 2023 at 06:32 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must admit never heard of tomato jam, tomato chutney looking at the ingredients for both not sure if they are not more or less the same thing?
    I used to make my own Passata when I had a glut of tomatoes. Come the end of the growing season it was also a good way to use up any tomatoes that were still a bit green.
    Easiest thing in the world to make, Tomato, Garlic, Olive oil, caster sugar. I would sometimes add dried herbs as well.
    Most important thing was always make sure the jars were sterilised. Make the passata (sometimes I would skin the tomatoes) either blend them or rough chop them when cooked. I never used an aluminum pan always stainless steel. Fill the jars as full as possible and loosely fit the lids and place in a pot of hot water and slowly bring to a simmer/boil for maybe 10 minutes. This is to displace any air remaining in the jar and this will keep the contents free from bacteria. Tighten the lid and store in the larder. Or just simply put tupperwareand place in the freezer.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are still using last years tomatoes, my wife oven dries them, and then freezes them down, also pulps them, strains them and freezes down. last year also made our own tomato sauce, delicious. Must confess never heard of tomato jam, must look and ask the man who knows all, google.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just been looking up tomato jam, and yes, it is mainly savoury , but slightly sweet, akin to our chutney, but sweeter.
    R689823

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dropping back to the posts on who's doing the cooking:

I first went into the kitchen at 15, along the front in Southend-on-Sea. next was galley boy at 16. From these lowly beginnings I ended up* with a Master Craftsman's designation from the UK Craft*Guild of Chefs and Master Chef from the U.S. Culinary Federation of America.

My last*Chef's position, I started as Executive Chef of a large Hotel, the first one outside of Los Angeles Airport.* Three months later, my boss, the Food and Beverage Director*got caught, embarrassingly, with a female cocktail waitress.* He was fired.* The President of the hotel asked me if I wanted to be the new F.B. Director. Off came My chefs hat,*and on came a*business suit, I hired a new Executive. Chef and let the swinging kitchen door hit me in the ass on the way out of the kitchen. That was my end of cooking.

I had an interesting career, ending up the president and c.e.o. of the parent company.

My late wife loved cooking and I loved eating it and stayed out of HER kitchen.

Well life seems to be a wheel, now I am back in the kitchen but cooking for one, me.* *I spend a couple of days cooking up a storm.* I make a large pot of spaghetti*sauce,*beef stew, chicken stew, chili con carne, and I portion pack them in 1 meal size*sandwich bags.* I got approx. 8-9 meals out of each dish.* I barbecue 4 racks of pork ribs. which I again portion. I cook a pork roast, cut it and shred it, and continue cooking in the BBQ sauce I made for the ribs, again I portion pack it in sandwich bags, enough to heap on a hamburger*bun, I get a good 8 servings*of each out of the roast and the BBQ.* Now all these meals I lay*flat in the sealed sandwich bag and*in the freezer. When frozen I stack them. I've got 8 weeks of food stashed.

I write myself*a*weekly*menu and post it on my fridge door,*and every afternoon*I take*a*sandwich bag out to*defrost in*the lower fridge for*tomorrow's*dinner.* Oh! I cook a*large*pot of rice and I portion pack that*too.* I buy*frozen*french fries.

I also dice and slice up*Yellow and green*squash,*red*and yellow*peppers,spring*onions, radishes, cherry tomatoes, and buy already shredded carrots and mix them up, I make enough to last five days.* I use fresh spinach as a base, top it with a good handful of my vegetable mix and that's my salad, topped with ceasar dressing and soda crackers crunched up. I buy single person pre-baked assorted fruit pies and freeze them for my daily desert*or have ice cream.

I also buy fresh*preformed hamburgers and freeze them. I can put one on the*stove in a small frying pan, low heat.* While I'm dishing up my salad etc..* About 10*mins tops.* My hamburger is cooking*on one side.* *I turn it over and sit down for my salad, by the time I'm finished, the burger is cooked, warm the bun in the microwave, put some potato chips (crisps) on the side.* Voila!* That's my biggest*weekly cooking event.

* Friday's I have fish, not that I'm religious, I'm not. It's a custom, I buy frozen breaded fish, for fish and chips, and breaded shrimp cos I like them. All I have to do is take the fish out of the freezer, stick it in the oven with the french fries and by the time I've got my salad dished up and eaten, and my pie or ice cream ready, the fish and chips are done.

I also make ten days of fruit salad for lunch, out of apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries, and peaches. I peel and dice what can be, and I boil*them individually to a half-cooked stage and then mix them together and freeze half in a large freezer bag. the other half I keep in the fridge and a portion of fruit for lunch topped*with a handful of mixed nuts, Thar's my lunch for ten days.

*When I got this idea, I didn't like the idea of using water to boil the fruit in, and at the first time I didn't have any fruit juice, so I used Gatorade*(the green one) it's only*lemon and lime flavor and with the fruit, it tasted great, so that's what I use.
    For breakfast I have Raisin Bran, two heaped tablespoons of plain yogurt, a sliced banana, and milk. and decaf coffee.

Oh. I have a glass of white wine with my dinner and two bourbons after dinner.

You will notice I have all the food recommendations*covered. cereal, meat/fish, vegetables, milk, alcohol etc. and other than my prep days, I doubt if I spend a half hour, total a day, in the kitchen for my three meals.

Cheers, Rodney, the lazy chef.

Rinse the dishes and in the dishwasher which I run about once a week.

Cheers. Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    One thing I do admire in Asain families, they certainly seem to have a built in attitude in respect of (it is always about family)
    At least as far as I know we Caucasians don't do 'Honour Killings' for family! just an observation.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast