Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tomatoes for sale

Yes red wine should be drunk at room temperature, but that rule was formulated in the 15th/16th centuries when you would be lucky to get a room 12/15 C unless you sat on top of the fire. Anyway drink wine how you like it and not how someone else thinks you should drink it, there is a lot of pretentious nonsense about wine we don't all have the same palate and a bunged up nose ain't going give you any bouquet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you are sitting in a 40 deg heated room like last summer in some places in the UK think the redwine needs a chill in the fridge. Even the beer glass needs a chill. Cannot get my head round the need to put a beer glass in the deep freezer.
    Beers are kept to cold now , well a lot of draught beers. A pint of good Bitter served to cold is spoils it for me. But it is down to indivduals choice.

3. Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    So you are sitting in a 40 deg heated room like last summer in some places in the UK think the redwine needs a chill in the fridge. Even the beer glass needs a chill. Cannot get my head round the need to put a beer glass in the deep freezer.
    Beers are kept to cold now , well a lot of draught beers. A pint of good Bitter served to cold is spoils it for me. But it is down to indivduals choice.
    All beers have a recommended optimum drinking temperature to ensure the best and most refreshing flavour from that particular brew.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    I wanted to make a steak & kidney pie the other day. treid several supermarkets, could not get any kidney or liver. Asked why they had no offal. Answer no one buys it. Me being Mr happy said if you don't stock it you cannot buy it. We sell ready made pies in the chill section. Stick your ready made pies mate.

We were out for a drive the other day and stopped in a village as I spotted a butchers. Got the kidneys and as you said Tony there was all sorts of cuts of meats & offal you very rarely see in supermarkets here in the UK. Thankfully we have a good big market in Birkenhead. You pay a bit more but at least you can get what you want.
    Let's get back to the days of high street shopping, let's support our local traders and Tesco can shove (their every little helps)
    Watch how prices jump on anything that airs on these celebrity chef programs, Oxtail, for instance is getting more expensive since a program before Christmas. I bought some ox cheek a few weeks back, delicious and very reasonable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All our supermarkets had a butchers department then the call came for one way plastic bags to be banned.
    Out went the butchers, all meats now cone in plastic trays that need an angle grinder to open.
    But wet fish is still sold in the deli along with cooked meats.
    Lambs fry, (liver to you ) is sometimes there but most goes to pet food now.
    But in many bush towns there will be a butcher where you can buy all the bits you will not see now in the cities and big towns.
    Can still buy a side of Lamb for a much cheaper price than the supermarket packages rate.
    Got one last month for just $79 already cut up into chops, legs etc.
    Supermarket fruit and veg is bought by them long before even planted, contracted buying they call it.
    But nothing beats the taste of home grown.

As to the ban on one way plastic bags, it is estimated that the savings to retail along with the money they get from selling 'green' bags and others here in Oz is worth about $3 billion a year.

See some mad MP suggests you eat Turnips while there is a tomato and fruit shortage.

Got the taste for cold beer when going to sea, never took to the warm stuff after that.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 25th February 2023 at 05:24 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

See some mad MP suggests you eat Turnips while there is a tomato and fruit shortage.

What she said is that the public have become used to non seasonal fruit and veg being available all year round and there very good alternatives available to make a meal such as turnips, which was immediately turned into a 'one liner'

Personally I do like roast turnip slices and parsnip chips, but now I'm on my own I don't bother doing them, but I do remember during the war eating raw turnip slices on a farm when they used to chip them for cattle feed using a chipper driven by an old steam roller with a power take-off belt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are up against it with lots of people who have no knowledge of Veg in general, they no longer teach cooking in most schools, and a lot of homes survive on ping cooking in the microwave. We were in the Farmers market veg shop a couple of years ago, and in front of us was a women with her daughter, and the daughter pointed and asked , what are those Mum, and what she was pointing at was Parsnips, the mother did know the answer fortunately.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meant to say in the above, the daughter was approx 14-15 years of age. Turnips are very useful, did we not make an England football manager out of one ?, name i think was Turner?.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, it was Graham Taylor. The Sun posted a a photo of him 728339f9cddb31c75bfdef630f83f03a.jpg. He was actually not a bad manager. Think he died in 2017 he was 72.

11. Thanks Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problem now is that many housewives do not know how to cook.
    Look at the supermarket shelves at all vegies ready cut, salad ready made, the ready to eat food, much cooked just reheat.
    Then they complain about the cost of living.
    So if mum cannot cook then daughter will have no idea, marry some guy and they spend their life living at take aways.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Johnny Kieran, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do most of the cooking in our house, reason? I am retired I enjoy cooking. Anyway we call it sharing household duties. My wife does the washing , cleaning and ironing and looks after me and has done for the last 40 years + again we call it sharing as I look after her and have done for the last 40 years +. I don't care what anyone says a wife gets the rough end of the stick. A wife never retires and sadly more than likely will be left to struggle on on her own for years after her soulmate has departed.
    Yes there are children who may help look after aging parents, again there are children the only time you see them is when they want something.
    One thing I do admire in Asain families, they certainly seem to have a built in attitude in respect of (it is always about family)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast