Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australia

Interesting that bit of info.
    It says some 750,000 when the white man came, yet most studies at the time of arrival in the early days shows maybe somewhere in the order of 300,000.

Yes some were taken from families, and even today should in some cases still be.
    The manner in which kids ad mothers in some country areas are treated is appaling.

Yes many did die from disease, quite common then, but so did thousands on white people as well.
    Diptheria, small pox, measles, cholera, yellow fever, scarlet fever and many more.
    Look around the old gfrave yards and see the age of some children both black and white.

I agree no 'invader' was squeaky clean but when you see all the benefits the Aboriginals have had over the years and see how some still live!!!
    When the white man came here he found Stone Age man.

The land mass is so big that those living in WA would not have known Victoria or NSW existed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Colin Wood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The woke mob, white not black, are pushing for an aboriginal voice to parliament. I thought they had a voice to parliament the same as I , ie a vote.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21 Think I now understand why there might be a relutance to teach History in Australia.

https://theconversation.com/explaine...genocide-86828

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree no 'invader' was squeaky clean but when you see all the benefits the Aboriginals have had over the years and see how some still live!!!
    When the white man came here he found Stone Age man.

Now that statement really sums up attitudes of quite a few here in Oz. Did anyone ask them if this is how they wanted their lives altered by the invaders. Bit like telling those homeless people that at least we have warm dry shelters under our bridges for you to stay. The double standards all round are in full swing. I did not like the fact that aboriginals got so much media about the stolen generation but it suited politicians and media to run with it. What should have been done was a real scrutiny into the subject and included everyone who had a baby or child taken from them as both white a black mothers suffered the same indignity and not forgetting the amount of kids shipped here from the UK to populate this country. Oh well think I might get of my soap box and join the rest of those with their heads in the sand. Than again I might not as I grew up with compassion thanks to my mother that kept all of us even though it was looking like we where going to be shipped here because she had no husband.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

7. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, white women had their babies taken from them.
    Good friend of ours had her son taken from her in 1972, not sure if taking children from their mothers at any time is the right way to go.
    But now we have an Attorney General who wants to change the law regarding care of children after a divorce.
    Currently both can if they wish have a 50/50 agreement.
    If the new law gets up it is possible if the court agrees the husband may only get 5% care.

There are many Aboriginals who have done very well, work have families and fir in with society.
    Then those who would prefer to live a bush style life.
    If that is what they want then let them, no harm in that.

But how many true Aboriginals are there in some of the protests?
    There are some only 1/32nd of one and I was told by an elder that if the tribe liked you they could make you an honory one.
    Then at many rallies we have 'rent a mob', many are students paid to join in, when at the Uni I saw this so many times.

Yes many have had the rough end of the stick, but so much money has been poured in to them over the years.
    My brother in law worked for the tax department often having to visit some of the townships.
    Many looked after the place, but just as many trashed it.

Good and bad on both sides.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like the *abbo*, despised by so many in Australia, is going to get a little recognition now, and about time to,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64493849
    R689823

11. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is sadly not a rare event that parents have children taken into care. What is sadder is when Social Services fail to remove vulnerable children from abusive parents. To often we hear on the news that some child has been battered to death by parents or the mothers new boy friend. The first words we will hear from some social worker LESSONS WILL BE LEARNT it would appear they never are learnt. I am not saying social services on a whole do not do a good job but all to often they miss the obvious. I am sure it is not just a UK problem.

A lot of times the first reports of child abuse come from a local hospital because little johnny has had nearly every bone in his body broken. Hospital informs the police, who inform social services,who visit the home and somehow the abusers are allowed to keep the child. Next time is little Johnny is on the news because he has been battered to death, a lot of times the parents are drug addicts.
    They should be jailed for life, which thankfully in prison is short as some lifer will give them a good hidding and batter them to death.

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Observations, The Catholic Church had some of the worst child abuse in modern history, it carried on in Aus when they were sending unaccompanied kids here and Canada. But it was the govt policy to take Aboriginal kids away from their families, housing them in both Catholic and Church of England homes where again abuse took place. We owe the present generation of aboriginal kids not to make the same mistake again, then I saw on the TV that six kids had been taken from their homes in Alice Springs over this booze debacle.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

15. Thanks Les Woodard thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to admit that I agree with John about the amount of money that is thrown at the aboriginal problem as it seems to be doled out to the south eastern mobs and the ones in need see bugger all of it. That is one of the reasons I will be voting for the Voice as maybe then this charade of throwing money at a problem that only makes it worse may come to an end with them being able to have a say in where it goes. That has always the problem with politics they seem to think that if they chuck money at it then any problem can be slotted into the fixed basket.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les, not sure how it will go but latest from PM is that the rules of how it will work will not be announced until next year!!

James, the lady I spoke of was an unmarried lady of 19 years at the time.
    She was not able to see him again until he was 21.
    But James I agree social services very often get it so wrong.
    'We must learn from this is the cry' obviously slow learners.
    The concept of the Aboriginals having a voice sounds good in practice but as is always the case with such concepts every time there is a change of gov so the rules change.

I fear that this matter will not be resolved by the voice or any other gov intervention.
    It can be better resolved by local communities where some live, a ons size fits all solution will not work with the Aboriginals, each tribe and the elders of such will have their own ideas on what is best for them.

A tribal people who still hold tribal values each has their own.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 3rd February 2023 at 05:51 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

18. Likes john walker, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast