Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Australia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australia

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post

BBC reporter Laura Trevelyan and her family announced the restitution to establish a community fund for economic development on the island nation of Grenada, where their ancestors owned six sugar plantations.

Yes Ivan, Caucasians may well have invented what you say. You cannot deny the fact that those countries that became the possesions of various empires down the years had and still have their resources stolen or plundered. Companies like Shell BP and many others are still at it today.

Shell is to pay tax in the UK this year for the first time in 5 years. Shell along with BP have said earlier in the year that they may no longer invest in the UK & EU if they have a windfall tax imposed on them. They make record profits while people are trying to stay warm this winter.

Wake up and smell the coffee,.
    As usual you veer off course to suit your own agenda, that is your right in a country that allows free speech.

Just because someone makes reparations to salve their conscience of the perceived wrongs of their forbears, that is their perogative, it doesn't make our forbears wrong in what they did at that time in history. However what I do notice in other lands full of Afro-Caribbeans, Afro Americans, Afro Sud Americanos etc etc, not many of them seem to be in a hurry to get back to their roots to rejoin the tribes that their forbears were so cruelly torn from, but they are probably well aware that all that glitters is not gold and they will not be welcomed as princes or princesses in their lost tribes, that's if they are welcomed at all. They are quick to castigate the people who transported them, but conveniently forget it was their fellow countrymen who enslaved and sold them in the first place.

As for Shell and the others, I am well aware of what goes on in that particular sphere of the world, Corporates have always influenced the world and its rulers and thus it will probably remain, you and I are not going to change that even though we have a vote to change our representatives who increasingly think they are our rulers rather than our servants. Yes obscene profits are being made and should be taxed accordingly and no one will argue with that, but companies whether large or small exploit tax loopholes and it is up to to the relevant authorities to close those loopholes, however everything is not as simple as that, and by closing a loophole you may well shoot yourself in the foot. The Netherlands tried it with Shell (formerly Royal Dutch Shell) and all Shell did was close down their HQ in Holland and moved their HQ to London and Holland HM Revenue was millions of Euros less fortunate.

Before you ask, No I am not going to quote my sources, I do still have original thoughts whether they be right or wrong is others perogative to decide, I don't need to quote people I've never heard of just because its convenient to do so

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, sometimes it is good to think outside the box and view things from a different perspective.

So do you think it was okay for Slave owners to get compensated by the Government when Slavery was abolished?

Shell!!!Shell's chief executive, Ben van Beurden, will relocate to the UK. The company's chief financial officer, Jessica Uhl, will also move, alongside seven other senior employees. So they are moving a brass plaque to a London address

Business and Energy Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng welcomed Shell's announcement, tweeting that it was "a clear vote of confidence in the British economy" really a vote in confidence in the British economy really , good old Kwasi Kwarteng. I wonder what he is doing these days.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ANOTHER OPINION ON THE YES - NO REFERENDUM!

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 at 21:33
    Subject: Australia Day!

When I look and see the list of events WE provide the Aboriginal people every year in this country and all I want is one day to celebrate as an Australian, they are offended by this and say we are being racist towards them and offending their culture.

* Well let me say that I知 offended that they are entitled to 22 days, which is paid for by the Australian taxpayer.

* Let me say that I知 also offended that the Australian taxpayer contributes over $30 billion, YES billion every year through Centrelink for them.

* Let me say that I'm tired of hearing every day that we invaded this country.

* Let me say that I知 tired of being told that this is their country by the politicians, media and so on, could you please imagine what this country would like.

* I知 totally offended that there is NO recognition of the early settler痴 whom came to this country and built the infrastructure that developed it into the powerhouse nation that all people living in this country have benefited from and enjoy the lifestyle that exists today.

* I知 also offended by Welcome to Country ceremonies that are being held every day somewhere in this country, which again is being paid for by the Australian taxpayer.

* I知 also offended that the Australian and State Governments that have forced upon ANZAC DAY this Welcome to Country, if it had not been for our Diggers past and present, they would not be in any position to force this on the Australian Military.

*I知 also offended that our police forces Australia wide have been placed in a position by the media and State Governments that they are the guilty party if they dare arrest an Aboriginal person.

Last but NOT least we can celebrate in this country Halloween, Chinese New Year and many other cultural events, BUT we are being forced by the Greens, the Left-wing politicians, the WOKE society which many are NOT of Aboriginal decent and the media to abandon Australia Day.

It will be a SAD day for this country if it happens and once, they have achieved this, THE next plan will be to change the Australian Flag and probably give this country an Aboriginal name.

[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/birem/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/l4vngrj9.default-release/Mail/pop3.ozemail.com.au/Inbox?number=135&part=1.2.2&filename=image 001.jpeg[/IMG]
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well John, you could always go walk about like this fella Crocodile Dundee 1.jpg

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post

So do you think it was okay for Slave owners to get compensated by the Government when Slavery was abolished?
    Yep, of course

9. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#55 looks like the 6'oclock swill in Cleos Bar Fremantle.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately the Aboriginals like all citizens in most countries had local tribal councils who handled the money given by the various Govts to help them, many spent the money, but not on the Aboriginals but themselves and family or tribal members, Billions were spent but did nothing the change the
    way of life for the majority. As Les would say that was the way the cookie crumbled.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To bring the Stone Age into the 19 th century under normal circumstance would take generations and centurys to bring to modern living standards of civilisation. The fast moving and the only moving progress that has so far been made is by the whiners in society who see evil intent that is never there but make it appear to be so, and make the situation worse by showering the so called victims by them, the underpriviliged with money and goods and a roof above their heads. Before the advent of colonisation they to didn’t even know what money was , but they fast learned how to use. If they as a nation as they call themselves want to
    live as they normally did , there is nothing stopping them , most of Australia is berefit of settlers , so they have a choice of two worlds, the outside s...t stirrers can Go and join them if Australians are stupid enough to let them into the country..JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th February 2023 at 01:20 AM.
    R575129

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AS to Shell and similar companies, it does not matter what any gov says about them paying tax.
    These companies can afford to employ the smartest accountants going, person who will find legal ways to avoid tax, ways govs have not even though of.

Asto current generations paying for the events of previous, I see that as nothing more than extortion.
    Current family members cannot be held in account for the actions of fore bearers.

We had a gov here who wanted to apologie for actions of the early settlers against the locals at the time.
    Not possible he was informed to say such on behalf of the nation, so had to reduce it to 'on behalf of the gov'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shell & business avoiding tax because they have smart accountants does not make it right. It will never be stopped especially when there is some lobbyists and MP's who are as bent as nine bob note.

17. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast