Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australia

John , as has been said you are always commenting about what is going on here in the UK. You mention you have relatives here. Well guess what I have also got family in Australia. To be honest they fit the bill as being whinging poms perhaps you know them
    Like me all you do is bitch about poli's.
    Last edited by James Curry; 8th February 2023 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may find this of interest if you are so interested in life here in Oz.
    I may well make comment about events in UK, but I do not insult any replies from members.

Subject: FW: What I learnt from an Aboriginal Elder

Interesting…from one of the “MOB”

The following article is by Steven Tripp, Spectator Australia, 13 December 2022

Recently, I sat down to interview an Aboriginal Elder from South Australia for the ExCandidates podcast, of which I am a host. Her name is Kerry White, a former nurse and diabetes educator from the Narungga people. The aim of the interview was to determine her views regarding the Indigenous Voice to Parliament.

It was a fascinating interview because it completely deconstructed many fundamental aspects of the current ‘narrative’ surrounding the Aboriginal people. say ‘Aboriginal’ because even during the pre-interview phone call I had with Kerry, I made the mistake of using the term ‘Indigenous’

With no hint of hesitation, Kerry quickly corrected my error and informed me that Aboriginal people prefer to be called Aborigines.

I asked her to expand on this during the interview.

Kerry explained that Indigenous were ‘…anyone native to Australia including flora and fauna. If you’re born in Australia, you’re Indigenous.’

The other term that they use for us is First Nations,’ Kerry went on to say. ‘First Nations – that’s Canadian. We are not Canadian. We are Aboriginal. We are from Australia and the Torres Strait.’

Why did we move away from the term Aborigines in the first place? Was it a fear of political correctness? Obviously, we were not listening to Elders such as Kerry White. Instead, we have chosen to listen to Woke activists, university lecturers, and inner city elites.

Kerry then went on to explain the divide between Aboriginal ‘mobs’ in rural/remote areas, compared to mobs in city areas.

‘When it comes to Aboriginal people, we have two separate lots,’ she began, educating us again. ‘We have a lot of Aboriginal mobs. Not tribes, not clans. Mobs. That’s an Aboriginal term. [The mobs] are divided into two. And that is rural and remote, and that is separate from the city-ites.’

Could this explain the clear difference in message between Senators Jacinta Nampijinpa Price and Lidia Thorpe, who grew up in Alice Springs and Melbourne respectively?

How will an Indigenous Voice to Parliament adequately represent the concerns of this divide?

Kerry went on to teach us another Aboriginal term – ‘tick-a-boxers’. These represented the people who claimed to be Aboriginal when it is clear they are not. Recent census data points to this.

Since the 1971 census, the number of people identifying as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander has risen from 116,000 to over 800,000 – a 590 per cent increase.

Even from 2016 to 2021, the national population increased by 8 per cent, but the Indigenous population increased by 23 per cent.

There should be some form of identification. Proof that these people claiming to be Aboriginal are actually Aboriginal,’ Kerry began, before recalling how almost twenty years ago, the government scrapped the need for someone to obtain proof that they were Aboriginal.

So, if you want to be Aboriginal, all you had to do is tick the box.’

Kerry pointed out that the word Indigenous is included in the official wording of the proposal – the ‘Indigenous Voice to Parliament’. Therefore, one wonders, would simply ‘ticking a box’ to indicate you were Indigenous suffice to be recognised by the new body? What can of worms would that unleash?

It must be frustrating for an Elder like Kerry. How many times have true Aboriginal Elders been asked to comment or contribute to the debate on The Voice? According to Kerry, it is yet to happen for anyone in her community.

For Kerry, her feelings on the Voice to Parliament are clear.

‘It’s a no from me. I say no to The Voice. I don’t want it,’ she replied pointedly. ‘We, the Aboriginal people from rural and remote Australia do not want it.

‘A bit over two hundred years ago, they rounded Aboriginal people up and locked them on missions. So Aboriginal people were segregated from White society. Then we come forward to now – “The Voice” – and they’re segregating us again. They’re taking us back two hundred years. ‘You’re dividing the country again, it’s back to segregation. And frankly, it’s racist towards our White brothers and sisters that live in this land with us.’

Furthermore, Kerry makes the argument that Aborigines are already over-represented in Parliament, thus nullifying the need for a new body such as the Voice. ‘We have eleven Aboriginal members in Parliament, in the Upper and Lower house.’ Kerry begins. ‘That equates to 4.9 per cent representation, Aboriginal representation in Parliament. For 3.2 per cent of the population. With that, we actually have over-representation in Parliament. So why would we need a Voice? Unless they’re saying that our Parliamentary members are not doing their job.’

Does Kerry reflect the thoughts and feelings of all Aboriginal people? Should her statements and explanations concerning Aboriginal people be taken as gospel? Of course not. But that is the point. Can a ‘Voice’ to Parliament represent all the varying ‘voices’ of Aboriginal Australia?

More importantly, is the debate on the Voice taking the focus off the true needs of Aboriginal people? As a nurse, Kerry is well-versed in the issues facing Aboriginal people, especially in remote communities.

‘With Aboriginal people, it’s mostly linked to diabetes. We have a high rate of diabetes amongst Aboriginal people.’ Kerry explains.

‘Heart problems. That began to rise about fifteen years ago. They don’t have access to medical care out there. They don’t have health centres and doctors and all that. They don’t have it. They’ve got to travel sometimes 3-4 hours to get to a doctor, or medical treatment if something should happen out there.’

Kerry White joins Senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price, along with Senator Pauline Hanson of One Nation, in speaking out against the Voice to Parliament. Their message also stresses the need to unify the Nation, not to divide it along the lines of race. You would think that a study of history would compel anyone to agree.

We already have Parliaments at local, state, and federal levels the attempt to address all the ‘voices’ of society.

According to Kerry White, Senator Price, and surely many other Aboriginal people, this is the way it should remain.

For me, the lesson was that it is always best to go straight to the source and avoid the mainstream ‘narrative’.

Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#42, Well I read that, what am I supposed to think about it? I have just read this attached article
    https://www.spectator.com.au/2022/08...-of-the-voice/.

As I have intimated, the benefit is likely to be largely illusory. Already we have the Albanese government ignoring advice from prominent elected Indigenous representatives against removing alcohol bans and the cashless welfare card, on the grounds of ‘empowering’ Indigenous people. If empowering Indigenous people were the answer why not just repeal Section 51(xxvi)?

The above paragraph is from the attached link.

Section 51(xxvi) of the Constitution of Australia.

I have just finished reading this Section 51(xxvi) maybe it is time to reform such an out dated piece of the Constitution. Perhaps if that took place the VOICE may not be so pro active.

Just remember John how this conversation started. Sorry but you tried to put across that the Aborigines had a good life and were not discriminated against.
    Anywhere the white man has gone the local indigenous population has been put down or kept down. History is full of attrocities be it the Spanish , French, British other brands are available.
    Last edited by James Curry; 9th February 2023 at 03:57 PM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Anywhere the white man has gone the local indigenous population has been put down or kept down. History is full of attrocities be it the Spanish , French, British other brands are available.
    Well thank god our forbears, be they English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, Spanish etc etc had the courage to leave their own shores and venture into the very very unknown and discover materials, soils, natural resources etc and such that the countries who had them but didn't know what they were and would still be in the ground if it hadn't been for the merchant adventurers and which these people who had sitting on them now benefit from them. There are always two sides to a coin, but you prefer your own jaundiced view of evolution and the benefits now enjoyed by all, if some now choose to mismanage their natural resources either through incompetence or corruption this mismanagement can hardly be laid at the feet of those adventurers or present day Caucasian countries. With independence comes responsibility both fiscal and moral and those of us who have travelled the world have seen this in short supply in many countries we have visited.

Many countries in the world, including your so called exploited countries have benefitted, and still do, from the dastardly Caucasians, which African/Asian countries invented, the steam engine, diesel engine, petrol engine, jet engine, electric generators, electric (or even gas) light, Coal fired power stations, oil fired, nuclear power stations, submersible pumps, hot air balloons, aircraft, steamship, motor ship, aircraft carriers, locomotives, radar, radio, GPS, x-ray machines (medical and industrial) television, drydocks, DNA, anti-biotics, hospitals, the list goes on, world wide web.

As for slavery more white people were enslaved than black people taken to America. The first recorded slave owner in America was a black there was a black man. In 1830 there were 3775 reported black slave owners. All slaves brought to America were purchased from Black or Arab slave owners. Native Americans owned thousands of slaves.

White people were the first to outlaw slavery. In the 1800's Britain used 40% of its national budget to free all its slaves in the Empire. The Lord Chief Justice declaring that as soon as a negro comes to England, he is a free man, one may be a serf in England, but not a slave.

I do not feel guilty for what my forbears may or may not have done, but I admire their courage for stepping into the unknown to find out what lay beyond their limited horizon whether it be seen from the seashore or atop a mountain.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A word that should not be heard but will be if???

Report from Sky News!

Sky News host Andrew Bolt says Australians shouldn't be “fooled” by Labor’s plan for a Voice to Parliament as the government is pushing Australians towards “apartheid”.

Mr Bolt said Prime Minister Anthony Albanese “solemnly promised” to implement the Uluru Statement from the Heart in full, which is a “blueprint for apartheid”.
    “We've got to get the message out. The Voice is not the start of reconciliation. It is the start of apartheid,” he said.

I thought that the word would never be used again. After the South African Past , now here in Australia, this is not good!!
    I left my beloved Country for a better life without any hatred of others, and have enjoyed such so far, God Forbid that this may happen here .

The World Turns!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks James Curry, Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan , merchant adventurers really

This was only on the TV this week.

A British family who owned more than 1,000 slaves in the 19th century in Grenada has pledged to pay $120,000 in reparations. BBC reporter Laura Trevelyan and her family announced the restitution to establish a community fund for economic development on the island nation of Grenada, where their ancestors owned six sugar plantations.

The Trevelyans were reportedly awarded $32,000 in compensation from the government for the “loss” of their forced laborers. That sum would be equal to at least $3 million today, according to the article. Newly freed slaves did not receive any compensation.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/06/bbc-re...y-reparations/

Yes Ivan, Caucasians may well have invented what you say. You cannot deny the fact that those countries that became the possesions of various empires down the years had and still have their resources stolen or plundered. Companies like Shell BP and many others are still at it today.

Shell is to pay tax in the UK this year for the first time in 5 years. Shell along with BP have said earlier in the year that they may no longer invest in the UK & EU if they have a windfall tax imposed on them. They make record profits while people are trying to stay warm this winter.
    Wake up and smell the coffee, big corporations are ripping us all off. Shell are simply stealing oil & Gas from the likes of Nigeria, they bribe the so called Nigerian government and have been doing it for years.
    Big corporations buy and own governments just look at the lobbying that goes on in the UK & USA and other countries.
    Last edited by James Curry; 9th February 2023 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or the original astronauts who couldn’t fly. To go where no man before has gone, to seek out new worlds etc. etc. just look Round and see all the Spock’s in the world today. Plus all the Spicks and Specks. JS
    PS one thing I can’t get my head round is when people refer to black and white , they are not colours never have been and never will unless legislation is brought in to.make them so. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th February 2023 at 10:46 PM.
    R575129

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andrew Bolt, Extreme right wing commentator, who's views are mainly his own.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

13. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its like the eternal circle Des, he’s a right wing commentator to make him money to enable him to be a right wing agitator , and like the decadent Foo-Foo bird will fly faster and faster to make more cash and make him more right wing until finally the inevitable and he disappears up his own rear end. Rhetoric and all his theories all gone and only kept him happy. The old Bull in the background laughing his head off saying at least I get rid of it , it’s much easier. JS
    R575129

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, had it been the Spanish or even the Russian who took over Oz there would have been a much different out come.
    What happened in the early days of colonization was at times rough on both sides, but nothing new there,
    Little is said about it now apart from those who claim to be originals from birthrights but are not prepared to work for it.

Over the past century the amount of money and assistance offered to the Aboriginals is enormous, but as said the majority have fitted in and done well.

As the article says it is the 'box tickers' who are doing all the damage to the image of the 'Mob'.

Like Vernon, and many others, I feel the concept of the Voice will do nothing to improve the conditions of the 'Mob' but may well cause a split in the population similar to that once seen in South Africa.
    As is often the case in any mixed society there are those who will forever fight against the rules governing the majority.

There are as said more than enough in power to deal with this, why do we need more regulations?

Part of the statement of great interest for many is the percentage increase in numbers of Aboriginals compared with the rest of the population.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 10th February 2023 at 06:02 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast