Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ev costs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ev costs

There is much talk now about the EV vehicles coming onto the markets.
    So many varieties all claiming to be the best, longest distance, best add ons etc.

Looking at some costs associated with them here in Oz.

They start at around the $40,000 mark, then for a home installed charger there is a cost of some $2000 and about $1000 for a sparky to fit it.
    You can charge direct from the mains just as with your phone but that will take about 3 days to charge it.

Then there is the 2.5 cents per klm tax to compensate for lack of revenue from fuel sales.
    For my annual driving it would be about $1000.

Insurance I am informed is more than on an ICE vehicle and the task of finding where there may be some public charging stations.

So just maybe getting the push bike out again may be an alternative. might need a new bell though,
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ev costs

For me well excuse the Language but Stuff all that crap!

Even if i had the Money to waste, would not touch them, as said all the things one will ave to do, costs involved etc.

How about reliability not long on the Roads yet, so who knows really!

Just imagine the People who love to Travel here in Aus! Cripes! Sydney to Perth, or Darwin etc will never get there!

What they need to do is just sit and find a cleaner Fuel to burn, i am sure with all the Brainstrusts around there should be a few with great ideas!

For now though, i stick with the good old Petrol Engine so reliable these days and as far as i am concerned not a great expense either!

Happy Holidays! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yet again a minority persuaded those in authority electric was the way to go and we could all live in utopia if we all went clean electric, without thinking about the consequences on relying upon a single power motive. There is even now talk of power shortages and the majority of transport is still powered by fossil fuels. If we were to go full electric hackers either external or home grown miscreants could bring the whole electric transport system to a standstill; HGV's are mooted of being powered on motorways by overhead cables, much like the old trolley buses we had in the 40's and 50's, so that they have enough battery power to make deliveries off the motor way system to a central location where they will be reloaded onto smaller commercial battery powered vehicles. Dan Dare here we come.

Tesla has this month reduced the prices of all its passenger vehicles by £8000/9000 (depending on model), those who took delivery in November/December will not get a refund.According to Tesla this is to make their vehicles more competative, in reality it is because sales of electric vehicles are falling and purchasers are cancelling. The limitations of electric vehicles are coming to the fore, in the pre christmas period because of rail problems more cars than usual took to the roads, electric cars were waiting up to six hours to get to a charging point on the motorway system, it then takes them another 40/60 minutes to get enough charge to get to another charging system, makes for some long journies 'are we there yet' doesn't mean destination but the next charging point.

My humble petrol car gets me from Torquay to Whitby (340 miles) in six hours including coffee stop, with enough in the tank for another 160+ miles.

It is reported that people now living in flooded areas are wary about getting into their electric cars and driving through even the shallowest of flood water, three cheers for progress

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son has just purchase a Vauxhall Mokka ?, he is unable to have a charger installed at home, so is dependant on chargers else where. immediately i detect an anxiety in him, whenever we talk it always turns to charging points. The ones in supermarkets are slow charging, and are often occupied, the fast charges he tells me are expensive to use, and now with the cost of electric going through the roof, cost about the same to charge as it costs to fill a simple petrol car. In my mind i have given it 6 months before he is changing back to petrol. I suspect we have all been in a situation where we are running low on fuel, and looking for a filling station, you constantly look at the fuel gauge, until relief, there's a filling station, well , that seems to be the state he is in all the time with his EV.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    My son has just purchase a Vauxhall Mokka ?, he is unable to have a charger installed at home, so is dependant on chargers else where. immediately i detect an anxiety in him, whenever we talk it always turns to charging points. The ones in supermarkets are slow charging, and are often occupied, the fast charges he tells me are expensive to use, and now with the cost of electric going through the roof, cost about the same to charge as it costs to fill a simple petrol car. In my mind i have given it 6 months before he is changing back to petrol. I suspect we have all been in a situation where we are running low on fuel, and looking for a filling station, you constantly look at the fuel gauge, until relief, there's a filling station, well , that seems to be the state he is in all the time with his EV.
    I had a petrol Mokka loan car for a couple of weeks a while back and although it was quite good interior I found it awful to drive; I suspect the 19" wheels had something to do with it, but based on that experience I wouldn't buy one.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Read somewhere recently that if you are using a fast charger for your E.V. you should only charge the battery to 80%. Above 80 with a fast charger dames the battery.
    Vic
    R879855

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a Hyundia Kona EV on facebook market place for £11790 it is a 2021 model . The same model new starts at £32450. So much for residual values.
    A Hyundia salesman told me last month EV cars are the biggest con on the market in the car industry today. He knew I was not in the market for a new car as I was just waiting on mine being serviced.

Best value cars on the market today are Dacia. They are not everyones cup of tea and early models were not overly reliable and build quality issues.
    In a recent survey

Dacia
    Reliability average score: 9.68
    If you have high expectations from low-cost cars then Dacia will be your perfect match. Renault's budget brand has a strong reputation for build quality, with its average score of 9.68 putting some of Dacia's pricier rivals to shame. The latest Duster was rated as one of the UK's most reliable cars, while the Sandero also performs strongly. Dacia came 4th just behind Toyota. Dacia is the only EU car in the top 10.

Dacia is owned by the Renault group. A Dacia Sandero Stepway is £5900 cheaper than the equvilant Renault Captur. I will be in the market for a new car later in the year. I reckon Dacia will get my business. I mentioned residual values, yes Dacia drop a fare amount as well. Just found a 2022 Sandero Stepway 250 miles ex demo £2500 below new price.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/guides/...le-car-brands/
    Last edited by James Curry; 17th January 2023 at 12:21 PM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told some time ago by a car salesman the second hand value of EV will be very poor.
    No guarantee on battery life as continuous recharging damages the cells.
    Any rechargeable battery, like all batteries, has a limited shelf life.
    Mobile phones are a good example, each time you recharge the total usage drops by a small amount.

Maybe in a few years time when some of the current anomalies have been resolved they may be worth considering for short journeys.

Heer in Oz as in USA SUV are very popular, they can carry a large family with a lot of gear such as camping and fishing.
    One gut said they will be gone in 3 years as they are not aerodynamic.

Well tell that to the makers of London Taxis or buses, from what I have seen of EV most are nothing more thana shopping basket style, good for around the town but certainly not for distance or large amounts of luggage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wondering, not as said that i will ever Buy an EV, but why do they not use Gel Batteries in place of the Normal.
    Gel Batteries have a longer lasting Charge will take the Car a lot father, and the Gel Batteries have a much longer Shelf Life as well??
    As said just wondering!

EG: My Golf Buggy Ride on has two Gel Batteries and lasts a lot longer than other Guys i have spoken with who have the Normal Batteries fitted!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My oldest son works for Toyota, we were discussing cost of replacement EV batteries, ie one cell goes pack is knackered and has t be replaced.
    He said no it doesn't Toyota have apparently developed kit that wiil detect replacement and its only this faulty cell requires replacement.
    Asked why it hasn't been rolled out? reply, garages won't invest in the technology.
    As far as garages go, it's easier to replace the complete pack.
    Vic
    R879855

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast