Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flying fly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flying fly

Returned from my months break in the Australian sunshine yesterday morning. At the moment I am waiting for my body clock to adjust itself and to the temperature change, left Aus. at 37% now in UK it is 1%.
    Perth is a great place to be, seeing all the sights or just relaxing in the garden with a cold drink or glass of wine. In the morning and evening the black parrots and some pinks come down for a drink from the water bowls.
    The flight from Perth to Dubai is 11 hours then a further 8 hours from Dubai to Manchester, can't really sleep because every time someone wants to go to the toilet you have to move to let them out. Fell asleep in the armchair early last night then woke up and went to bed.
    Had a few black coffees so far, when I get enough energy back it will be unpacking time and getting back to the old routines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flying fly

Welcome back Louis , it is a long old flight back to civilisation from Australia Anyone who says there is no need for a plane like the Concorde never did a lot of travelling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great to see you back Louis
    Yes must be a shock to the System mate, but the Body soon adjusts!

Glad you Enjoyed the Stay, just a pity that you never could make it to Sydney as well, would have been great to meet you!

Anyway now back in the Saddle and safe and sound!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad you enjoyed your stay in our great country Louis, WA is a great place, hope there were not to many Pommy Baswards thrown at you while you enjoyed a drink or three.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis, glad you came to see how us 'colonials' live.
    Sounds as if you had a good time in Pert, yes it is a great city and the worlds most isolated.

Jet lag can be removed, you just need to drink enough on the flight to put you to sleep.
    Wake refreshed and ready for the day.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My sister, her husband and children emigrated to Australia in 1997 a year later my elder brother, who was a heavy drinker, died of a heart attack while driving a crane on Liverpool docks. Because of this my parents decided to join the family in Aus.
    It was the best decision they all could have made. There were far more opportunities for a working couple and it also gave my parents added years of happy life. I didn't want to go because I was still enjoying my life at sea, also I would have been refused entry with Australian health rules being so strict, I had caught TB in the recent past.
    I firmly believe Australia is the best country on earth, there is a relaxed casual attitude and people are not judged by wealth or the car they drive. The scenery is fantastic wherever you go and the country is not plagued by gun violence as seen in the States.
    Fremantle and Perth were founded by Capt. Stirling RN and he became the first Governor General in WA. While exploring the Swan River he camped at Ellenbrook which he named after his wife. The oldest church in WA was built on this site. Ellenbrook is where I stayed on my trip.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6. I emigrated here in 1991 Louis , I too had shadows on my lungs . My doctor said everyone born in the TB arena area probably had shadows himself included. However I was accepted with the qualification that I reported in every year for the next 5 years for re-examination X rays. There were no changes appeared so I was free to go. With all the fees and air fares it just about skint me and arrived with barely $2000 to our name. Australia however at that time was kind to those willing to work and from nothing to speak of ,within 5 years I owned 2 houses with mortgages of course m but quite able to pay. Built our final house and paid cash for it , something which would be hard to do In the UK. I stuck to my long plan however and retired at 65 knowing I had enough to see us out and turned down all offers , however now more frail sometimes wished I had accepted. But knew that one last job would always be there if accepted . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th January 2023 at 11:49 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Louis
    you should have called on John S, He makes a great Barbie, just down the road from Perth.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was the plan Brian but when I arrived in Aus. I tested positive for Covid. Must have caught it at the airport or the flight out. My niece who lives near John has MS so we had to cancel the trip.

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis
    It looks like you really enjoyed your stay, seeing your family would have been great. and you did imbibe in some good beer, more memories for you.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast