Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter, 1982

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Winter, 1982

Last week I watched a documentary on the winter of 1982, the whole country was blanketed in snow feet deep causing everything to grind to a halt and some of the lowest ever temperature being recorded. The cold weather and snow lasted for well over a month, fortunately I was sunning myself the whole time on a product tanker running up and down the Pacific coast of Mexico.
    One of the weather experts said that up till that winter the u.k (world?) Average temperature had been falling.
    Jump forward 40 years and the u.k has recorded it's highest ever yearly average temperature, yet we no longer use coal in the main, to generate electricity or heat our homes, wind power, natural gas and wood chip pellets provide most of our electricity generation and home heating, cars and trucks emmit far less pollution now, electric car sales are on the rise, the hole in the ozone layer is closing, so how come our average temperature is rising. We here in the u.k seem to be doing our bit to combat global warming, yet in the 40 years since 1982 we have seen the likes of china, India become industrial using coal as it's main source of power, even the USA still uses coal to generate electricity.
    Also in these same 40 years the world's population has increased massively demanding all sorts of manufactured goods, food etc.
    So would it not be better to look at ways of reducing world population growth as a means of slowing global temperature?
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Winter, 1982

Great post, just about says it all John. I wonder if certain counties have already started looking at ways to cut world population.
    Last edited by Johnny Kieran; 14th January 2023 at 04:41 PM.

3. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post #2, Johnny, looks like Russia has head start on that......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking more China, Covid? But every little helps Stan.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The WEF together with Mr.Gates have been busy with plans to reduce world population for quite some time now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
    The WEF together with Mr.Gates have been busy with plans to reduce world population for quite some time now.
    I wonder if they are paying Putin a retainer for his efforts.

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks as if Sunack and his crowd are doing their bit. Let's really run the NHS into the ground, we have got the nurses to strike,the ambulance drivers and the Para medics to strike, by just simply doing nothing, Kept them under paid for years they have no option now but to strike. Next move is let's privatise it and even more prople will die because they cannot afford private health care.

11. Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Looks as if Sunack and his crowd are doing their bit. Let's really run the NHS into the ground, we have got the nurses to strike,the ambulance drivers and the Para medics to strike, by just simply doing nothing, Kept them under paid for years they have no option now but to strike. Next move is let's privatise it and even more prople will die because they cannot afford private health care.
    They have been doing that for years, underfunding and bringing in private outfits.

13. Thanks Johnny Kieran, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Johnny Kieran, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting posting.
    Last Friday on our radio a professor from a very large Uni here, he lectures in environmental studies.

In his opinion the sun, moon, tides and upper atmosphere activity are the reason for some of the current weather patterns. There have been some very violent sun surface activities over the past couple of years.
    Tides as we know are effected by the moon cycles.
    He claims that much of the information put out is not from scientists but from those with most to gain from that.

He called it the new age industrial revolution, and pointed out that according to the media scientists are using information on global temperatures based on the industrial revolution of 1850 to 1900.
    For any one with even a small understanding of the industrial revolution will say it went from 1750 to 1950.

As to temperatures taken from space to measure global warming. he pointed out that NASA only began that in the very late 1950's.

Until 1948 there was no global standard for the recording of weather, it was up to each country how they did it.

But like me for believing in what he says I am classified as a climate denier, no I have a different opinion.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 16th January 2023 at 05:00 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a very good mate who worked for some 40 years in the Melbourne weather bureau, he was the facts and figures man who had the task of keeping all the records in order.
    He is also a very keen environmentalist.

We hear so much about the pre industrial temperature level and how we are now heating the planet beyond that and another 1.5 degrees will spell disaster.
    He tells me he has attempted to determine what figure those who speak of this pre industrial level is, so far he has been unable to find it.
    So what is the base level at which we need to find, does any one know?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast