Thread: Good and old 1 percent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good and old 1 percent

THE BEST OF TIMES
    The 1% Age Group
    This special group was born between 1930 & 1946 = 16 years.

In 2022, the age range is between 76 & 92.

Are you, or do you know, someone "still here?"

Interesting Facts For You . . .

You are the smallest group of children born since the early 1900's.

You are the last generation, climbing out of the depression, who can remember the winds of war and the impact of a world at war that rattled the structure of our daily lives for years.

You are the last to remember ration books for everything from gas to sugar to shoes to stoves.

You saved tin foil and poured fried meat fat into tin cans.

You can remember milk being delivered to your house early in the morning and placed in the "milk box" on the porch.

You are the last generation who spent childhood without television; instead, you "imagined" what you heard on the radio.

With no TV until the 1950s, you spent your childhood "playing outside." There was no Little League.

There was no city playground for kids.

The lack of television in your early years meant that you had little real understanding of what the world was like

Telephones were one to a house, often shared (party lines), and hung on the wall in the kitchen (no cares about privacy).

Computers were called calculators; they were hand-cranked.

Typewriters were driven by pounding fingers, throwing the carriage, and changing the ribbon.

'INTERNET' and 'GOOGLE' were words that did not exist.

Newspapers and magazines were written for adults and the news was broadcast on your radio in the evening.

New highways would bring jobs and mobility.

The radio network expanded from 3 stations to thousands.

Your parents were suddenly free from the confines of the depression and the war, and they threw themselves into working hard to make a living for their families.

You weren't neglected, but you weren't today's all-consuming family focus.

They were glad you played by yourselves.

They were busy discovering the postwar world.

You entered a world of overflowing plenty and opportunity; a world where you were welcomed and felt secure in your future although the depression poverty was deeply remembered.

Polio was still a crippler.

You came of age in the '50s and '60.

You are the last generation to experience an interlude when there were no threats to our homeland.

The second world war was over and the cold war, terrorism, global warming, and perpetual economic insecurity had yet to haunt life with unease.

Only your generation can remember both a time of great war and a time when our world was secure and full of bright promise and plenty

You grew up at the best possible time, a time when the world was getting better...

You are The 1% Age Group
    More than 99% of you are retired, and you feel privileged to have "lived in the best of times!"
    It's great being part of the 1% Special Group!

Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Good and old 1 percent

One memory that has never left me John was my mother’s Co-Op number 8765 maybe it was too easy to remember. I still like bread and dripping but hard to find the correct dripping ,there are plenty . of people who drip all the time about life in general , but that is tasteless especially when against the British lifestyle which they take every opportunity they have to decry. Maybe they should return to where they originated from, and let the world spin freely on its axis. We did live in better and healthier times, obeyed the rule of law and order more closer , had more morals, and expect Nowt for owt. And still managed to survive in this wonderful world warts and all. cheers JS
    PS Today with electric toasters make that dripping on toast, I”ll put the salt on myself JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th January 2023 at 06:44 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mums COOP divie (dividend) number was 2798
    We still get milk delivered to the door in milk bottles, the bottles look strange in a really cold winters day when the milk freezes and pushes off the top.
    I am 6 years short of the 1% though.

UK003715

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Co-Op number was probably the only number we had to use in those days, how well I remember ours. We would be sent up the shops to buy things, and told to "give the number to the lady in the Co-Op".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mothers coop number was 141 and my clocking on number on starting work on 1st Jan 1950 was the same. Den
    R708736

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John
    Born 1932, was small enough to fit into a pint jug, had all the experiences you mention.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I reckon it was the salt that had the nutritional value Des , maybe thats what drew us to the sea . Maybe why always felt happy in the Bitter Lakes ? Either that or George Robeys choice of literature . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or maybe the little blue salt bit in the crips that gave us a taste of salty seas.

The good old co-op counting out all those tin 'coins' to see how much we would get for them.
    Money, odd coins such as the three penny piece, the farthing which at one time was at the end of very price.
    Recall going to Woolwich market in south London and buying a shoulder of lamb for 1/6.

But did we have a great childhood, bloody oath we did the best ever.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post