Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ducking out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ducking out

Post 6, Dempsey one of the RMT negotiators quoted last week "we have reached agreement and it is the best offer we will get".
    RMT board rejected offer outright, other rail unions have accepted, the offer.
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Christie View Post
    A Anyone who was unable to travel due to strike action can claim a full refund on their tickets or use them moved on an alternative date.

Not everything is about money, not everyone can take advantage of alternative dates, not everyone will see another Christmas, not everyone through no fault of their own is as comfortable as you are.

Dramatic flair No! compassion Yes! alas in some it seems the latter is sadly lacking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The amount train drivers earn depends on the company they work for and their experience. ONS figures showed that for 2021, the median average salary for train and tram drivers was £59,189. The pay scale can range from around £24,000 for a starter to £65,000 for experienced drivers.( Read this from a quote by the SUN so must be true

Pay offer 9% over 2 years being back dated to Jan 22.
    Can someone post a link showing these £100,000 train driver pay scales?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been on strike only once in my lifetime, and that was the firemen strike in 1977, believe me we were driven to it, the previous year they had promised a pay review, and on the eve of the review they cancelled it. At the end of the strike we did achieve a pay formula , and the first year we had a 25 % pay rise, this was due to that formula, which was that we were to be paid at the rate of the upper quarter of manual workers pay, so every year we were paid what number 25 on the manual pay list achieved. That kept the peace for the rest of my time in the service. I really don't think anyone goes on strike for the fun of it, i know in my case it cause huge problems with my mortgage, my son at university, my car was taken off the road, and my wife must have used minced beef in just about every combination possible, and my credit card maxed out. So would like to talk to the members of these different factions, and find the truth, not just what the media pump at us. In 1977 we were amazed what lies were told in the media about us.Just my experience of time.
    R689823

5. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

keith i realise i am a one off where unions and strikes are part of lifes structure .....i had to join a union to go to sea.....i have always more than strongly felt i need no one to look after me or mine ......i was ripped of twice by the seamans union on long trips abroard.......injury and crew shortage promised shorthand money worked till i found the money wasnt in my account ......after skinning out and doing my time in HMP Adelaide .....and that was in the 50s not these days i had a commitee with the union in shields and others to get my book back ......the union man was more interested whether i was banging the bird in wallaroo or not etc......i am freeborn and stay such ......the only member of my tribe in a union is my grandson .....who played rugby for his country ......but had to join a union to play ....good enough to play for england but forced to join a union ....still never got recompense for long extra hours at sea but again had to pay union dues to go back to sea.......PSthe union man in shields was a snidy shady hanger on never been deep sea ......a fireman on acoal burner collier ......yet became president of theNUS ........SLATER OF COURSE..DONT NEED ANY MAN TO LOOK AFTER ME AND MINE......look at p and o R683532

7. Thanks Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take your point there Cappy, seaman's union was a complete waste of time, as we both know as we were at sea the same time. the problem when you work for a national organisation is that you would get nix, without someone to represent you. I hate the closed shop idea, and also the block vote system. The fire brigades union had a political donation as part of its dues, needless to say, myself and many others opted out of this payment, but little could be done about the block vote. I can see in the situation we are in now, the Gov cannot give in, it would do none of us any good, just stand by for difficult times in the next couple of years, a Labour gov without doubt next time, and that usually hits the currency market immediately, as nationalisation rears its head.
    R689823

9. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Post 6, Dempsey one of the RMT negotiators quoted last week "we have reached agreement and it is the best offer we will get".
    RMT board rejected offer outright, other rail unions have accepted, the offer.
    He wasn't quoted at all.
    The alleged comment came from "a source" which was printed in the comic known as the Mail on Sunday (a bitterly anti union publication). The supposed source wasn't identified and the union has denied he said that at all.
    I don't personally believe he would have said that, particularly since RMT have gained much better deals for their members in other areas of the rail and shipping industry.
    The Mail is about as trustworthy a news source as Pravda was in the days of the CCCP.

11. Likes James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Christie View Post
    He wasn't quoted at all.
    The alleged comment came from "a source" which was printed in the comic known as the Mail on Sunday (a bitterly anti union publication). The supposed source wasn't identified and the union has denied he said that at all.
    I don't personally believe he would have said that, particularly since RMT have gained much better deals for their members in other areas of the rail and shipping industry.
    The Mail is about as trustworthy a news source as Pravda was in the days of the CCCP.
    Shipping industry .......what shipping industry.......R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Not everything is about money, not everyone can take advantage of alternative dates, not everyone will see another Christmas, not everyone through no fault of their own is as comfortable as you are.

Dramatic flair No! compassion Yes! alas in some it seems the latter is sadly lacking
    All I see is you trying to manufacture injustice where there clearly isn't any, just to suit a narrative.

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Daily Mail and there un named source. Become a common term that now from the Mail. No doubt hoping it will keep them out of court. A certain Royal took them for a few quid not so long ago.

So the term source is used a lot now when they are printing what is possibly fake news.

16. Likes Jim R Christie liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast