Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Interest rates

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Interest rates

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    Des in shields when slater was the seamans union guy .........i was on about 28 quid a month......slater comes into the eagle vaults a good seamans pub .....if we get a breakaway union .......i promise the sky is the limit for wages ....200 quid a week .......we have all seen the result .....noships no shipbuilding ......no seamen ...where was slater a few years latyer .....fancy london offices .......chauffer driven jaguar......gold plated pension ......where were the shipowners.....gone .....why ....because every third world country bought an old banger or two filled them with any body daft enough to go on them .....where was the seamans union .......gone with all the funds amalgamated into some other union in the 50s and 60s the worlds seaports were filled with red dusters ......by 1970 there where flags of landlocked bleedin countries filling the seas ......every month ships in shields fromrussia poland india ......no food aboard .....no wages paid ...ships being fed by shields folk .....its the seamans mission going round begging for food for them .....its called economics ......get it right wonderful ...get it wrong disaster .....we had in the uk hundreds of shipping companies .....why did they disapear .....answer no return on capital ....great example the old avonmoor rotten through ....sold to the chinese run on a handfull of rice ......how can anyone compete with that .....while the seamans union callled for strike after strike .along with the other lefty unions .....well they have all gone now .......sadly ........R683532 .....HAVNT HEARD FROM LOUIS LATELY ......I CAN HEAR HIM SPLUTTERING HERE IN YORKSHIRE LOL
    vessel registered in Mongolia, anchored in Tees Bay last week, theres one there this week, Vanuatu, Marshall Islands common now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the ships working on bareboat charter in the offshore industry were. Re-registered in Vanuatu Tony. I should know because I was on a lot of them in Australia. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th November 2022 at 01:36 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#30 However in Cappys case is slightly different he wants them both at the same time. He NEEDS the bullet proof vest to keep off angry debtors , and he WANTS the gold in it to stop the bullets . That’s his story anyway . He would give the judge one of his teeth to rule in his favour. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th November 2022 at 12:08 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Cappy.
    Don't know what was really happening in the British seamen's union when it went tits up, I was enjoying life on ships who's union was within hands reach, where; if they tried anything funny and it happened once in Auckland they were out on their ar^% I remember Tom Yates retired with a Knighthood to Tasmania, far enough away from anyone to take the money off him. But not only in the unions where there problems for the working people but what little they saved was ripped off by business people think Maxwell and many others, who robbed the poor; but whom the law protected.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

5. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brenda, you are spot on with that comment.

Do remember the 50 quid only going overseas, had some special undies made to carry the rest.

But here in Oz back in the 1980's the most you could borrow on a mortgage was $50,000, set by the gov of the day under Hawke.
    If you needed more the only way was with a personal loan, and many did that.

For the greater majority of mortgage owners here there is not too much of a problem, most during the lock downs were able to pay off some extra, no where else to spend it.

The hardest hit are those who bought at the top of the market at that time when rates were so low.
    Now the chooks have come home to roost.

A combination of stupid buyers, unethical builders and banks willing to loan knowing that at some time rates would go up again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn, Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1992 in W.A. I could only get a mortgage from the bank for 15 years due to my age which was 55 then. I could not even hire a new tv ,had to be a second hand one , as had no credit rating . When money started building in the bank the gloves came off and could just about get what asked for . They appointed a monetary advisor to look after my affairs who I sacked after a couple of years when I changed banks as was selling my rental properties and reinvesting the money elsewhere on his own initiative . In the uk I worked through building society’s which have yet to see out here and has always been with banks . Bank charges have always been a bug bear with me , but see today the bank charges are almost disappearing not before time. They kept at me for years to Increase my credit rating limit and I still say no ! I will approach them if I want it increased. I owe the bank nothing and will continue to do so for as long as possible . I hope this year the interest rate for savers goes up and makes it worthwhile to keep in bank otherwise it goes under the mattress . There is a bank in India which gives treble the Australian rates at present , but consider that a bit risky. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you look around you can get 4.6% on investments from £1000 to £20000 absolutely risk free or 4.51% if you want your interest paid monthly.

10. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest today from some financial guy.
    If house prices continue at the current rate than by 2030, only 8 years off, the median price of a house in Melbourne will be about $2 million.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Housing market is on the point of collapse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith #1, we have a similar situation here in Oz, jobs going begging while we still have unemployed yet we are taking in migrants.
    One reason, a lack of suitably qualified persons to fill some of the jobs.
    Then the all too easy to obtain unemployment benefits.
    Yet the economy is strong.

In my opinion there may well be a recession in Uk but it will not last for two years.
    If it was that bad the whole country totally stuffed.

But of course the media love to spell out doom to all whnh ever they can.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast