Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: BBC News

Like Keith T

I well recall most all the Smokes i bought on board were at 10 Shillings a Carton of 200. that was in 1958 Senior Service, Players , and the likes!

Cannot recall however if there used to be a limit on how many one could buy at a time ? But know that all of Lads on Board always had quite enough Fags! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Like you I packed up smoking, but at around 37-8, I think the dearest product in the Supermarkets now are a carton of cigarettes, no people queing there like there used to be.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des although I stopped smoking professionally mainly because of the wife I had the occasional slip when in bad company . Think the last slip was sometime in the 90s when working out of Port Lincoln . My opposite number from Fremantle was an ex ships carpenter a Norwegian who had jumped ship in Darwin decades ago. He always relieved me with a bottle in his hand after spending the previous night in a hotel. Then expected me to sit and drink it with him while he discussed what he termed ships business. He also brought on board to this sumptuous handover cigars. Normally it was ok if there was time in hand , forto catch flights etc.this particular time however we were on a lay by berth and would have to shift onto the working berth in a couple of hours , he asked me to do the shift for him as knew he was to much under the weather , so While the rest of the crowd went to the airport I stayed back to help a friend you might say , so I filled the time in smoking his cigars , was careful when finally got home to give the wife a wide berth in case she smelt them on my breath. My oppo the party skipper is now a long time dead but was a good seaman , and he died with the usual big C. Died sitting behind the wheel of his own car in his garage, sadly missed by a lot of us that knew him. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of us at some time smoked, I began with roll ups made of grass, then graduated to tea leaves.
    But became for a while w very heavy smoker, 60 to 80 Chesterfields a day when at sea.
    Packed up when I got a dose of the Flu, only time ever I got it.

Exchanged Senior Service for Chesterfield in Las Palmas, 200 would get you 300 Chesterfield.
    But a silver Tea pot was worth about 400 then.

AS to fish and chips, we mainly get Gummy Shark here in our fish shops, sold as Flake and is tasty.
    But the best chippies here in Melbourne are all run by Greeks.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 19th October 2022 at 05:18 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Port Lincoln; what can I say about it, was there on the Union Co Karatane in April 58, We were having the last drinks before sailing, I went back aboard, the Mate asked me to go and fetch the lads When I got to the pub the boss was kicking them out said they had broken up some chairs to keep the fire going, it was bloody freezing. Then the skipper decided to take the route in the Southern Ocean below Tassie for Timaru, jees it was cold.
    Last time there we called in around 1998 as our son was a bank manager there.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cold Des, remember the winter of 63, it began to snow while we were in Durban.
    Docked in Southampton and the snow was not too bad, but as we journeyed to London it got deeper and deeper.
    Got home to what looked like an Igloo there was so much of the stuff, and it was freezing cold.
    Five days home just in front of the fire was enough, so back to the ship.
    That was in January, came home again in March and some of it was still there, and no warmer.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think the one in 1947 was one of the worse in the NE Think it was also the year the Zephros the Greek freighter went ashore in Cullercoats . Think Graham will have in his list of casualties . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, That was in Browns Bay, I went straight from school to see it. It lay for a few years before it was cut up for scrap, as there was no roads down ,the
    scrap was winched up the cliffs on cables, for years all that remained was the main engine crankshaft on the rocks, then after another storm it vanished.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was at Rockliff school then Colin we used to climb down those cliffs . Wish I could still do it today. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: BBC News

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Think the one in 1947 was one of the worse in the NE Think it was also the year the Zephyros the Greek freighter went ashore in Cullercoats . Think Graham will have in his list of casualties . JS

Right John- yes,ZEPHYROS was/is an old favourite for Tynesiders to reminisce about.

built in 1909 by C.Connell & Co. Ltd.,Glasgow as DUNEDIN (ON 125496)for Dunedin SS Co.Ltd(Henderson & McIntosh ,Leith.Sold 1919 to Nautilus Shipping( F.W. Ritson), Sunderland ,renamed CHERRY BRANCH.
    1931 sold to A.Lusi,(London-but registered Argostoli Greece,renamed ZEPHYROS.
    1938 owners restyled Zephyros S.S. Co Ltd,(Athens),reg’d Argostoli.

[Zephyros was a 4796 gross tons cargo steamship owned by A.Lusi of Argostoli Greece.The ship was
    wrecked 26 Feb. 1947 ,off Brown Point,North of Cullercoats wireless station,Tyne Roads, whilst inward bound from Rouen to the Tyne in ballast
    The wreck lay stranded for several years, slowly disintegrating. Eventually she was broken-up by several scrap merchants]

ZEPHYROS .jpgZEPHYROS O.N. 125496.jpg

Graham

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast