Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nhs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nhs

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #10 Think there are discrepancy’s somewhere between the two Vernon . I am at moment aware of two friends a married elderly couple who were married 3 years ago for convenience as one was the carer of the other. One is now blind and the other incapacitated with a bad back . The blind one needs full time supervision costing over $3000 a month , because it is means tested the husband has to pay the full amount which will vastly reduce his savings in the interim. The only way out for him is divorce and the wheels are in motion. To set this in action. if you have money of any description in Australia , luxury of what is considered out of the way medical treatment is not free unless you are on the bones of your ass. Which I assume most illegal immigrants paper wise are . JS
    It is the same here John, be careful all your life and save for the future and the authorities will have it all, but if you don't do that during your life you will get a free ride. I saw all that some years back when we had to find a care home for my father as my mother (85 at the time) couldnt cope with him anymore. She was allowed to keep the house but they took all his pension as my mother had a very small pension from her years as a nurse (so small it was paid quarterly).
    It was very frustrating to discover that there was a couple of guys from the same village in there who were well known in the village as being heavy drinkers and spent most of their time between the pub and the club, so were totally skint when they went into care; which cost them nothing.
    Maybe there was some logic to their way of life, enjoy life to the full and to hell with the future because someone will always end up picking your tab.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The NHS was set up on the assumption that over time the cost would reduce as everyone became so healthy! We all know how that worked out...a bottomless pit that all parties insist on throwing more and more money into.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey fellas, never forget Indian and Pakistani medical people saved the NHS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If and when it is time for me to go into a care home I hope the law has been changed and I am offered the option of Care home and bankrupt your family or euthanasia. I will choose euthanasia. I have already a letter to that effect,my wife has a copy as does my solicitor. My good lady has not signed up for that yet.

Also anyone with any sense and a few quid should seriously think about gifting your children and grand children before the tax man gets his hands on it. I have a son and two grand children. I buy premium bonds monthly for my grand children. My aim is to max out for the grand kids and re invest any wins in more bonds until maxed out. Also they are not aware they have them, my son is also co signature as a guardian for the bonds.
    I have been doing this since the first one was born 9 years ago and again for the youngest one 5 years ago. My son will inherit the family home when we both pay off. He says he will hang onto it and rent it out. He will be taxed on the income gained. If he sells it straight away likely he will pay 18% Capital gains tax?
    Last edited by James Curry; 7th October 2022 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We both have also arranged through our Trust that all of our Worth, will be given Equally between our Children!
    Just makes sense doesnt it!
    Cheers

As for the pegging out side, well i have always said no one knows when how or where, so let Nature do its thing!

Whatever way i dont think anyone really knows much when it happens!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gifting to others here in Oz is at a set limit of how much you can gift each year.
    Works for most as we have no death taxes...........yet!!!!

Speaking with our financial advisor and he told me that if one of us had to go into a home little would change as far as pensions go.
    State will fund the position of one if the other stays in the house, if the sick one is not yet ready for a home and they stay at home a carers allowance is paid.,

The policy of feral gov here is for all of us to stay in our own homes as long as possible.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I had a spare £100,000 I can buy the my Grand daughters Premium Bonds straight away and no tax penalty involved to either parties. As a gift I can gift a total of £3000 a year this can be a lump sum to one family member or divided among family.

Premium Bonds do not pay or gain interest as such. You hold the bonds for as long as you like and cash in anytime you want. Each month they go into a lottery with the chance of winning up to a £1 million and other prizes on a sliding scale. They have recently added more money to the prize fund. On average if you hold the max amount you should see a return which works out at about 2.2%
    Oh just to mention your bond value stays the same it is a free lottery.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was 60, did not expect to see 70. Now 86 and living alone in my own home, so have to provide for living to 90 or may be more. What was survivors pot of gold is being happily usedd.

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#28 Hope your pot of gold is big enough Colin. The longer one lives the quicker it goes down. I find the biggest worry is not being able or fit enough to be able to go out to work and start again to replenish it in part. Not doing too bad though, there is always others worse off than oneself. JS.
    PS the recent rises in interest rates is a boon to some , it’s only those who borrow over the top that it hurts. 0ne mans meat another mans poison. I can’t find it in my heart to commiserate wth them , no one mentioned the old pensioners and their punitive savings with .01 interest. The higher they go the better as far as I’m concerned now. There are plenty of bleeding hearts to agitate for them, i’ve got no blood to waste on such. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th October 2022 at 08:53 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Our interest in the banks over the last ten years would allow us to buy two loaves of bread instead of one, no, not that bad, but if I only had the interest that you have had all those years from Cappy's money I would be happy.
    As you said, while the young ones could borrow as much as a king they couldn't care less that pensioners where getting nothing on their little bit of savings. Maybe I will get the Ace this week.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast