Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: So who is getting old then

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: So who is getting old then

I seem to recall reading that some learned folks advised that exercising in the gym DOES extend your lifespan - by exactly the amount of time you've spent exercising in the gym ( It might have been the same folks who claimed that it has been proven statistically that 80% of statistics are lies).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do 10 different exercises with 3 sets, one is 50 push-ups i.e. 150 total and I walk 3 miles a day. I only miss the walk if it's rainy or there's ice, say 20 days a year max.

I have had a valve job and 2 stents, but no heart attacks (fingers crossed), the docs found the need before it got too bad and inserted the stuff.

At my last check up with the cardiologist, I asked him if I could still do my exercises. He looked at my chart (I guess he was checking my birth age) and said, "That's what got you to 85, the answers a yes."

I'm 5'10' shrunk from 5'11 3/4" and weigh between 150lbs to 155lbs starkers. Five days ago, I stepped on the scales and was 155.2 lbs. I went immediately on my diet. I eat well, meaning correctly, I just cut out any unnecessary calories, in my case, I love a cookie with my coffee, I have a large glass of white wine with dinner and two bourbons after dessert, cancel the lot until I'm 150lbs, at today's weigh-in I'm 152.4lbs. I should be there in time for my 86th birthday.

Cheers from a clear eyed and non-furry tonged Rodney.

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney
    Sounds as if you are pretty fit mate, thats good and to keep the Weight down is excellent as well.
    However just s word on the Heart matters, as you may recall i had a massive Heart attack about 2 Years back now, and at that time was also still feeling fit i had also had Stents put in about 4 Years prior to that.

Now although they say that the Stents last quite some time, they do have a time limit, and at that time i did not know. (About 15 Years possibly longer)

Apparently they can and some do start to deteriorate after time, although Stainless Steel. So the reason not only of that but also that other Ateries in my Body were starting to clog up/

So just to say Rodney that i do hope you will always be as you are Fit and well, but always go and have a checkup, every at least two Years and make sure that other Ateries are all open and working in Top condition!

The Heart Attack i had was really unforseen, and came as a really Big blow to me and my Family! Things happen so fast mate!

Cheers Keep smiling and Stay safe !
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th September 2022 at 09:23 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, I see my cardiologist twice a year, once to see how I'm doing and a couple of tests. The other one is the full bore, stress walking, blood tests, all the x-rays and stuff. I also see my G.P. every three months, so as far as doctors go I'm good. My biggest problem is I live alone.
    My only rellie is my son and he lives about 150 miles away, and not very reliable I'm afraid. So, I suppose its grin and bear it.

Cheers, Rodney

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: So who is getting old then

Well glad to hear that at least you do all those things Rodney, it sure is something that more of us shoud do. Even myself not being one for Doctor Visits, have sort of neglected a wee bit, must i guess start a new Page again LOL

Must be quite difficult alone Rodney, and with the Son so far away too!

I hope and am sure that there should be a few good Friends and Neighbours around though that i case of Emergency would rally round mate!

Mean time you keep going the way you are and Stay Safe!
    All the Best
    Doc

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keping physically fit and eating a good diet are part of it. good exercise also thought it does not always need to be strenuous.
    A 7 kilometer walk yesterday morning along the sea front was good.

But just as important is mental health, keeping the brain active is just as important as the body.
    It may be as simple as the daily cross word, or as it is for me three mornings as a volunteer at the local community health center.

What ever it may be just do as much as you can, will improve your out look on life if not life itself.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc.

I live in an apartment complex of about 200 apartments. Not much luck in the making friends, most seem to be young working couples with a child and probably saving up for a down payment on a house.

I do have two friends. The female is an old family friend of 58 years. She was a friend of both my wives and me. Her husband is a real nice person too and they were the reason I moved from South Carolina to Oklahoma.

I go for lunch once a week with her and fly fishing with him. I like it here and have a lovely apartment, so I'm not whinging.

I'm looking into a security system, that should I fall or get an attack, the gadget senses it and calls an ambulance. So, with that system involved, I'll feel a little more secure, I think.

Cheers, and all of you out there stay well, Rodney

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only exercise I have done in my life is work, the tough jobs I have had gave me all the exercise I needed, now the most I do is take the bins out, and lift a knife and fork, and my wife still says I should do some more exercise?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    The only exercise I have done in my life is work, the tough jobs I have had gave me all the exercise I needed, now the most I do is take the bins out, and lift a knife and fork, and my wife still says I should do some more exercise?
    Des
    Well Des
    I reckon i can say i was similar in that hard work and hard Jobs helped me in keeping Fit! I did a little Boxing in my days , and done some Weights as well, but nothing too serious!
    So it was mainly the Jobs that i had (And they were many) that stood me in good stead!
    Like you these days dont do much, except the odd day on the Golf Course which i have cut down on a lot of late as well!
    Cheers

R697530

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Des
    When I was junior eng, a chief cook asked if if I had done a Charles Atlas course, it took him a few minutes to cotton on when I replied, no, I did the Joe Shell one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast