Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so smart meter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Not so smart meter

Are there other site members experiencing problems with smart meters?

I am now on my third smart meter and none of them have worked. I was with British Gas for many years submitting meter readings manually through the p.c then after persuading from them I had a smart meter fitted. This was a mistake because after this all my energy usage bills were estimated. This new technology all energy companies were recommending to take away the need for meter readings and save money on bills was completely useless. After a long time of, trying and failing,
    to get British Gas to fix the problem I switched to Octopus Energy. It seemed my problem was solved, they replaced my electric and gas meters and gave me a new smart meter. This soon decided to pack in and now the third one has gone the same way. Came downstairs one morning to a blank screen.

Remember the good old days when a man came every month to take meter readings? Easy and hassle free.
    Man was replaced with machine, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not so smart meter

Louis, I have an ongoing dispute with EonNext. They based energy billing on estimates, which were miles out.
    I supplied them with readings showing their error, suddenly they said the smart meter miraculously started work in.
    I don't trust smart meters, waste of time and money.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

woudnt have a smartmeter in my house .....friends constantly have probs with them ....any estimated bills i get i check the outside meter .....it is often wrong but never on my side ....funilly enough the gas bill arrived today ...the hot weather has meant the boiler has not really been on .....and is only half of last years price .......but i have put 3 boilers in properties in the last 3 years and the savings although the price of gas has gone up is massive.....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Changing your boiler was a good idea. You must have been well and truly fed up getting your Sunday go to church suit covered in coal dust.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    Changing your boiler was a good idea. You must have been well and truly fed up getting your Sunday go to church suit covered in coal dust.
    Well now it wasnt that much of a problem as i had nicked the leather bucket and handy billy to bring up from the cellar ......funny though when i think of it the peggy whose job it should have been,,,, was called louis same as you .....but it couldnt have been you you wernt at sea till a lot lot later by your discharge number and probably never saw a coal burning galley range ....lol cappy R683532.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Louis
    Here is Aussie, we too of course have the Smart Meters, of which like yours there give many problems as far as i know.

I have been offered a few times to change but have so far refused.

The little Man comes every quater to read the Gas Meter (Another for the Electricity) so still on the good old Method!

I do though also take regular readings myself to keep check, but thus far since 1980 have not had one issue with incorrect Bills!

This Quater being that we have had a long and cold Winter, the Gas is a lot higher than normal, and i too got a new Gas Ducted Heater fitted about 18 Months back, works really well.

So my Bill this Quater for Gas heating will be quite a lot higher than normal, but all well worth keeping Warm! LOL
    cHEERS
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th August 2022 at 09:24 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The electric smart meter was developed by a guy in UK.
    He tried to sell it to the companies but no one wanted it.
    He sold it to companies in Oz.
    When the UK companies saw how good it was they decided to use it after all.

Here in Victoria we have smart electric meters and you get no choice, smart gas meters are being put in place.
    A smart water meter has been developed and is currently in use in some parts of Victoria.

The cry was, this will save you money as we no longer need to employ people to read meters.
    What they failed to tell you was that with a smart meter they can charge you by the 15 minute section of use.
    The power companies are able to see your usage and charge you top dollar for your peak usage.

Same will apply to all smart meters.
    So tell the companies, hey mate don't get smart with me!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

anything that imposes on my privacy i avoid ....constant requests to agree to terms on information sought i try to blow out ...but find this more and more difficult .....the BIG BROTHER IS HERE NOW .....watching many things you do .....pumping folk with this or that and always requesting permission to do this or that .....THE SO CALLED SMART METER MUCH HERALDED BY THE GAS AND ELECTRIC COMPANIES IS NO MORE SMART THAN TO GAIN MORE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU ......NOT FOR YOUR GOOD BUT FOR THERE GOOD .....FOLKS WHO FALL FOR THIS CON IE LOUIS THE FLY ARE JUST MEAT IN THE GRIST OF THE PERSONAL INFO HE GIVES AWAY ....this is my view others will surely have there own views but if we keep giving info we will all just end up without any freedoms and become just numbers like the prisoner in the french bastille number whatever he was ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Count of Monte Christo ? NB// I have spelt Count right. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    The Count of Monte Christo ? NB// I have spelt Count right. JS
    yes john i couldnt remember his name just prisoner number whatever it was .....yes you have spelt count write ......dont know were this ifo comes from ...guess just reading so much at sea ....thanks from one old count to another lol .....regards cappy R683532

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast