Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bouncy stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bouncy stuff

This brings recycling to new heights no doubt and with added benefits.
    Fall from a tall building and you may well bounce on landing.

Engineers in Melbourne have finally found a way to use rubber from discarded tyres to replace 100 per cent of the conventional components in concrete, like gravel and crushed rock. The recycled tyre rubber concrete also meets building codes and promises to boost the circular economy.

According to the team from RMIT University, the concrete will be greener and lighter than conventional mixtures and will significantly reduce manufacturing and transportation costs.

The rubber concrete is basically killing two birds with one stone in regards to sustainability. Not only are they repurposing rubber tyres that would just end up in landfill but they're also finding a way to make concrete without having to create new materials. A win-win, really.

Up until now, efforts to replace a majority of the aggregates of concrete with rubber have produced weaker mixtures that failed to meet the required standards. That was until the team at RMIT University found a way to replace 100 per cent of it with rubber.

Whilst small amounts of rubber particles from tyres have already been used to replace some gravel and rock elements, this is the first time it's been done on this scale.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bouncy stuff

They use a lot of reconstituted tyre rubber in and around public walk ways and childrens play grounds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lot of recycled plastic here in park benches, fencing etc.
    Used inroads as well but this is something new.
    Makes good use of old tires, many of which went to land fill.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Lot of recycled plastic here in park benches, fencing etc.
    Used inroads as well but this is something new.
    Makes good use of old tires, many of which went to land fill.
    Lots here John as well, tho the plastic is usually chucked under or behind park benches.
    Roads also, usually chucked on the verges
    Old tyres, dumped anywhere they can get away with.

- - - Updated - - -

This brings recycling to new heights no doubt and with added benefits.
    Fall from a tall building and you may well bounce on landing.

Whilst small amounts of rubber particles from tyres have already been used to replace some gravel and rock elements, this is the first time it's been done on this scale.
    I know a few candidates for that jump test John
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th August 2022 at 06:21 AM.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of park benches are made from recycled plastics, also in Picnic areas tables and benches as they need replacing are replaced with recycled plastics. Sadly yes, road sides seem to be a popular depository for plastic bottles and fast food packaging.
    My wife and me have joined a group to litter pick a local park. The council provides us with litter pickers and collection bags. fill the bags and leave beside litter bins and the council picks them up. We also have bins for picking up used needles from those who use drugs. Sadly the number seems to be on the increase.
    I believe that there is a scheme for fishermen on there layup days to go out and trawl for plastics. I know they have been doing this now in many areas around the coasts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have clean up day Australia once a year, people with very good intentions, but there is more plastic and rubbish being thrown away that people can collect. Watched a programme about markets in so called poor country's I noticed that they used paper bags, it's the so called modern advanced Countries that are mostly to blame for our plastic waste.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plastic bottles and cans in some states here have a deposit scheme attached too them,10 cents per item.
    But even that does not stop some being dumped all over the place.

One thing i noticed in our recent travels, Singapore, Southampton central, Norway, Iceland Ireland and London are clean places, no sign of litter anywhere.
    I was very impressed with London central, not so sure about the suburbs, but the main area is very clean.

Sadly cannot say the same about Melbourne, it has got very dirty of late.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes as fr the Recycle Bottles etc , we have two old Black Council Bins we brought here with us Years ago from Penrith, so we use those to store our Recycle Bottles and other Items that one can exchange for 10cents each. There are plenrt of Machines all over , but here in the Mountains we dont have many at all, nearest one is about 35km away, so once a Month my Daughter comes along with her Hubby's truck and picks them all up, cashes them in at her place of deposit, and the proceeds of that goes to the Smith Family!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plastic bottles and cans in some states here have a deposit scheme attached too them,10 cents per item.
    But even that does not stop some being dumped all over the place.

One thing i noticed in our recent travels, Singapore, Southampton central, Norway, Iceland Ireland and London are clean places, no sign of litter anywhere.
    I was very impressed with London central, not so sure about the suburbs, but the main area is very clean.

Sadly cannot say the same about Melbourne, it has got very dirty of late.
    John they have had that system in Germany for many years and it is very innovative and effective. The shops that sell drinks have a machine which identifies the bottles and gives the appropriate deposit back, so you can feed in a range of single items via a hole in the top and it identifies the bottle and the required return, if you buy by the crate, then you place your crate of empties on a small conveyor at the bottom and it takes the crate in and identifies the bottles, which can be mixed. The machine then prints you a refund receipt which you present at the till for refund or to be deducted from your new purchase. You rarely see any type of bottle lying around, in fact the problem is characters with fishing rods trying to hook bottles out of communal bins by blocks of flats , I have even seen them in airports raking thro waste bins looking for bottles.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to take my brown ale bottles back over 50 years ago and got tuppence a bottle back. It’s certainly not new,
    That’s why Cappy thinks I owe him 3/9d for the bottles he reckons I took from him . He forgets he broke them when drunk. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th August 2022 at 01:01 PM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast