Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floating hotel Leith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floating hotel Leith

Passenger ship to be filled with ukranians in Leith,cannot think what local homeless think about that fellas

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Floating hotel Leith

For a moment Mo I thought of my old Ship the Dunnottar Castle which became the MV Victoria, i see this Ship that you mention is also MV Victoria, but apparently another? I cannot seem to find a Pic of it!
    Thank goodness it was not the Dunnottar! Whew!!
    Cheers

Got it now

Over 700 refugees to be housed on boat which will be docked in Leith (msn.com)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th July 2022 at 10:40 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, J Gowers liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mo
    Well someone is using their brains, I have asked before why they cannot use these laid up ships for the homeless, possibly inertia by the people in charge. Not all homeless people are drug or drink subjects, for example we have thousands of people homeless after the floods with no hope of any accommodation, in the near future.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes there were 2 victorias victory llyod.jpgTHE VICTORIA.jpgthe victoria x dunnattor castle.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ditto your comment - the problem comes with the expense of having such a facility - who carries the cost etc etc

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same thing over here , the city of Utrecht has announced that from now all council housing that becomes available will be given to assylum seekers , refugees etc.,etc. This
    when the waiting time for a council house for ordinary Dutch folk was about 11 years.

But the whole of Europe is changing. Dutch farmers are being forced off their land - the excuse being excess nitrogen being produced but in reality to make way for all the
    thousands of immigrants that are being encouraged to come here with all the free handouts they get. The Dutch government had reactivated an old law from 1953 which
    makes it obligatory for families to accept a refugee ( no matter what their nationality is ) for an unlimited time. The WEF is causing a world food shortage by purposely destroying
    food stocks world wide. Schwab has already said in his great reset that we will own nothing , be dependant on the state for everything and we will be happy !.

Many of the younger world leaders are products of the WEF ( Trudeau of Canada , Macron France, Our own Rutte , Arden in NZ ) and Schwab has proudly said how his disciples have
    " infiltrated " many countries . Look at the hard police reactions to protests around the globe.
    For once I'm glad to be over 75 years of age but I feel so very sorry for my grandkids . What sort of world they will have in another 30 years - I hate to think

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Four years ago our Grand daughter said to my wife ,"I will never get a house of my own." My wife said never think negative, think positive, Within twelve months she had saved enough of a deposit for her own home, albeit a cheap one on a big block of land but she has done it. Many here can only see the big house which they will struggle for years to obtain, then struggle to pay off.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des , when we arrived in Oz our total cash was about $2000 had a house in Uk with a mortgage still on it. Couldn’t get it sold so had to go back to sea which is another story in itself , within 3 years had 3 different houses with 3 mortgages going . If I still lived in England today I would still be struggling to pay of my mortgage. People born and brought up in Australia don’t really know what hardship is , they have always been better off than the rest of the world in my opinion. That is not to say the standard should drop back by any means . But for the past 31 years I have been better off here than I would ever have been in the UK. One of the many things I admire about Australia is the outspokenness of the people , apart from the other meaning, they call a spade a spade, as an international community there seemed to be no problems until the uninvited illegal immigrant entered the picture . Pensions are adequate compared with other countries and unless you choose otherwise the standard of living must be near the top somewhere. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th July 2022 at 01:46 AM.
    R575129

14. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    When the tin works that supplied my village with work closed down they sold the houses in the Village to the people who had rented them, asking price around 1957 150 pounds each, I told my brother to buy it and I would have the money as I was on the way home after twelve months away, he didn't.
    But on saying that as you say it was easier out here, we had three houses in NZ at different times, then since we came over here this is our fourth. Everyone up to 2000 could save to get a deposit, now with all the negative gearing for people with money it is really hard unless you have a high paying job or your wife works as well, or you move to the country, we bought this house in 2010 for 190$ thousand in 2010 it's now gone up to $400 thousand, and that's with no improvements.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 14th July 2022 at 01:59 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found in the uk the first 10 to 15 years you were just paying off the interest, out here the sum owing used to come down much faster as it was also taken off the capital owing after every payment. What I found missing here was your own house you weren’t allowed tax relief on ,but any rental properties you had you got tax credits. Think this suited whatever government was in as released the pressure on them to build public or council houses as we in the UK called them. Never really made any money as was too green to know any better , but in those days the bank where wages went into appointed you with a tax adviser. On starting work out here I was on three times what was on in uk , and never looked back. The only thing we ever bought on HP was a new car to get a credit rating , thereafter have had about 5 new ones and paid cash for them all . Hopefully will never have to borrow money again . Cappy will be coming with his begging bowl looking for his 3/9d if he reads this .So better shut up. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th July 2022 at 02:47 AM.
    R575129

18. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    That was the negative gearing I was talking about, people with tons of dough can buy up housing easily outbidding ordinary people, then renting the place out, I don't know exactly how it works but they get huge tax relief.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

20. Likes j.sabourn, Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast