Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Would you pay this much for your coffee?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Would you pay this much for your coffee?

I did hear that our mate Cappy was going for a coffee.
    He thought he still had some of the very old fivers, size of a handkerchief in his wallet.
    Poor bugger, he opened it and after the moths had flown found all he had was some hankies with black marks on them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Bill Morrison, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

them white fivers were our security...plenty beer money in white fivers ....and a good roof over your head for a week or so .....when it got down to ten bob ...it was down to the pool......stand outside ask what was going if you fancied one go in ....by 62 the tramps were not as many in shields ...there was plenty british tankers ......usually the gulf ....shell tankers down BA venezuela west indies ....but the ore carriers where much sort after on the shields pool....short trips much overtime great feeders ....a different lifestyle .....although i was very happy at sea at that time .....there was not a great future for crew in general ....i signed on a british tanker ....went to a party that lasted alnight with my now wife .....then went down to shields pier to watch the british faith go .... i was sad seeing her out the pier i had a good woman ....a motorbike ...and at twenty four was wanting to get a new start ...no more wild times.. no more in trouble .....no more carrying on alarmingly ...jumping ship .....local jails for the night ......solid ground under my feet ....and here i am 60 years later still thinking of raucus nights...foriegn climes ....sunny weather ....and all that goes with it ....i wouldnt call the king my uncle then .....it was a great insight into life ....but im a better person for coming ashore .....lucky to see two lifestyles ...and now a big strong family around me...such is life ...cappy R683532 PS ah nostalgia as good as a large single malt or two......or more lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#22 As have said in a previous post a long time ago After first trip of 6 months had 26 pounds payoff and 2 days at home . Gave 4 x 5 white fivers to my mother.
    Went to a cafe for a cup of coffee costing three pence and to impress the girl waiter pulled out the remaining Fiver . Caused such a flurry in the shop. Manager came across and I had to write my name and address on back of same. The back of these fivers was blank if you remember, maybe that was the reason.? JS. This was in 1953.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a cup of coffee at 10am then another at around 3pm, but mostly drink tea, Australian grown Nerada good strong tea, don't remember ever buying a coffee from a coffee shop. As for those big white fivers, I remember coming home one trip and finding that my mother had all the allotment money I had left under her pillow, all those big white fivers, she didn't want any of my payoff money.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The truth of the matter, Cappy only had 3/9 on him and the coffee was 4/2.
    But could be worse if he had paid the 3/9 back where it should go.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3