> CAMELS ON THE HORIZON:
    >
    >
    >
    > This is so true. Think about it.
    >
    >
    >
    > The founder of Dubai, Sheik Rashid, was asked about the future of his country, and he replied, "My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I ride a Mercedes, my son rides a Land Rover, and my grandson is going to ride a Land Rover…
    >
    > but my great-grandson is going to have to ride a camel again.
    >
    >
    >
    > “Why is that, he was asked?
    >
    >
    >
    > And his reply was, “Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times. Easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times.
    >
    >
    >
    > Many will not understand it, but you have to raise warriors, not parasites.”
    >
    >
    >
    > And add to that the historical reality that all great empires...the Persians, the Trojans, the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, and in later years, the British...all rose and perished within 240 years.
    >
    >
    >
    > They were not conquered by external enemies; they rotted from within.
    >
    >
    >
    > America has now passed that 240 year mark, and the rot is starting to be visible and is accelerating.
    >
    >
    >
    > We are past the Mercedes and Land Rover Years….the camels are on the horizon.
    >
    >
    >
    > The greatest generation consisted of 18 year old kids storming the beaches at “Normandy”.
    >
    >
    >
    > And now, two generations later, some 18-year-old kids want to hide in safe rooms when they hear words that hurt their feelings.
    >
    >
    >
    > They also want free stuff from the government because they think they are entitled to it.
    >
    >
    >
    > The "camels are on the horizon" for sure.
    >
    >
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Camels are a coming

When I was driving my girlfriend or mates somewhere I'd tell them to jump in the ol' flivver. It'll get us there, no wuckin' furries...............Auss.

Lost Words From Our Childhood

Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What’s a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! We went for a ride in the old bomb! You could take the old side banger for a spin around the block! She knew she was old ... but not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, carbon copy, you sound like a broken record, and hung out to dry. Took off like a blue arsed fly!

Back in the olden days we put on our best bib and tuck or your best bag of fruit. Crikey Dick!

Heavens to Betsy! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy Moley! Fair suck of the sauce bottle! Fair crack of the whip! Put a sock in it!

We were in like Flynn, out like Grout and living the life of Riley; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop, a dill or a pill. Not for all the tea in China! Well strike me roan!

Bloody oath; bludger

However, you could be accused of being a couple of shingles short in the roof; not the sharpest knife in the draw; a couple of stubbies short of a six pack; a few sheep short in the top paddock; about as bright as a blown light bulb; a sandwich short of a picnic, a stubbie short of a six pack, what’s the John Dory? Have a Captain Cook ..

We wake up from a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!" "

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. Where have all those great phrases gone? They were being used until political correctness was invented. So how smart were they??

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! I'll see you in the funny farm. Wake up and smell the roses. Struth! Blimey!

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator! See you later chip potata! See you in the dunny, honey! See you on the moon, baboon! just to mention a few.

Oki doki.

You'll notice they left out "Monkey Business"!!!

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 40’s and 50'S ... NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN .. WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS - LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

No worries mate … Give’m a fair go and Hoo Roo for now
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 40’s and 50'S ... NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN .. WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS - LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

[/QUOTE]

Well me old mucker, if getting bombed out three times in three different towns and shunted around as a refugee were the 'peaceful and comfortable times' I'm bluddy glad I didn't experience the bad times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah Gee Ivan, some guys are never happy are you.
    But know what you mean, I was moved around London and up to County Durham more times than I can recall.

At one point the front door was blown off and for six weeks no door until a new one could be found.

Then in those so wonderful years after the war the joys of rationing still lingered.
    Yes mate wonderful memories.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a couple more old and very Australian sayings. When talking about someone who isn't much good at anything. "He couldn't run a chocko vine over an outside dunny". And if you are wishing retribution on someone. "I hope your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny down."
    Now an explanation. A chocko is a totally tasteless vegitable that is very easy to grow. A dunny is an outside toilet back in the days before houses were sewered.

Bob

6. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. The title of this post , would have made it more controversial if had added to camels are coming or were the woodbines here first.? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It could well have been State express 555 or maybe a ships Woodbine.
    But for the gentry among us maybe Senior Service, or Capstan Full Stregth.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or for the horse racing community maybe Turf , and not to leave the Arab nations out, Pasha ? Or again for the Aussie gold miner Lucky Strike ? Or for the Japanese one of their own sweet tobacco cigarettes Peace. Could smell them a mile away. But would smoke anything in those days including tea leaves . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th January 2022 at 05:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But for real Men, it was always 'Men of the World" Smoke Max !! LOL
    Cheers

Max Ciggs.jpg
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never heard of him Vernon , but he isnt going to see much of the world sitting in an arm chair. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast