Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: happier days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default happier days

Well, that its , xmas all over, i expect i am the only person on the site that does not like xmas. So today is the best day, because its as far away from next xmas as i can possibly get. every xmas bar one in my time at sea, was actually at sea, which suited me, tot from the skipper, and carry on watch as normal, so at the moment a miserable old b****** is very happy,
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: happier days

One more day tomorrow for the happy holiday to be over here Keith , then the mad rush of spending over. Many probably putting themselves into debt . Two of my compatriots dying over this period of gladness and joy. One funeral to go to the day before New Year and one 3 days after. People still die and are born during celebrations but for some they aren’t really celebrations . Already the hot cross buns are on sale here. The yacht race from Sydney to Hobart already underway and 30 % of which returns to port for bad weather which makes some of us older ones think of mice and men , with the odd poseur thrown in. What is normal today ? The world is changing all the time and people don’t make it any better. I think Graham’s idea of Isolation is the best way of life today especially with a glass of whiskey and a mince pie soaked in rum , that hasn’t been distorted in its shape into a human form that one can stick pins into. Happy New Year if it ever gets here , Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th December 2021 at 11:01 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: happier days

Re prev.posts #1 and 2'Keith and JS.
    Keith,you can be sure you won't be the only one aboard here.who doesn't like Christmas,and the more I grow older the more I hate it.
    JS- My condolences about those 'passed' during this season.I too lost my sister-in-law suddenly.at the end of November aged 70.It must have been a very low-key Christmas for the children (my brother,the one to whom I donated my blood stem cells to had already died two years ago with leukaemia )so the youngest of their children still in her early twenties will never see her parents at her wedding or her future children..My life,although not without it's troubles seems so fortunate and normal compared with their young lives...

Well.as regards those words I posted in a previous post,yes during this Merryneum -period 'twixt Christmas and New Year-they are appropriate ones..As an occasional apanthropist-one who longs for nothing more than their own company-I often actively seek my phrontistery-a quiet place for one's own contemplation.Maybe,harking back to another post,that could be the castella-toilet in Hindi Down the Pan.gif. But first I'll demolish the last of those squashed rum-soaked mince pies,knock up somehow that post-Christmas staple of turkey bits and sprouts-bubble and squeak...and doze off dreaming of that glorious few days of Christmas ashore in Colombo back in 1972... Sunbathe.gif,or ditto in Mombasa in 1977 or......

Xmas PC (2).gif

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or the Rose Bar in Osaka. .? JS
    R575129

6. Likes Graham Shaw, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi keith #1
    good afternoon, my wife constantly reminds me, if we do not celebrate xmass and all that it entails, then those that want to ban it and give praise to other religions and their prophets will have beaten us and won.
    tom

8. Likes vic mcclymont, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Or the Rose Bar in Osaka. .? JS

No way! I always went to Church,or the Seamen's Flying Tabnab in Japan--I was a good boy,well.not quite a cherry boy ,more of a prune really.

.......Where I went afterwards was my business-call it my 'phrontistery' if you like .It was a very uplifting experience though.Boobs !.gif

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean you went for a Turkish Bath and had a wax treatment ? Followed by the currants soaked in rum JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th December 2021 at 02:52 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #2
    good afternoon, as you state the sydney to hobart race with over a third of non starters or those turning back because of the weather in the bight , and a maxi called black jack in lead position, by the ( ais ) positions on the internet,
    sadly the only real tangibile fact that matters is the loss of your old friends,i too suffered the loss of a family member this year, and when it comes right down to it, those are the facts that are the most important in our lives, ie family and friends.
    tom

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Thomas 5, my wife loves Christmas, and she spend hours decorating, getting ivy and holly from the garden etc, we have come nearest to divorce in 57 years , always at Christmas, i,m just pleased to see the back of it. It did have some enjoyment when the kids were small, but that went many years ago, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi keith #9
    good evening, i was only gently chiding you, as your correct as the children are the benificiaries
    all the best for new year,
    ps my wife calls me the grinch
    tom

16. Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast