Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sampson Boat Co.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sampson Boat Co.

I came across a YouTube channel recently called Sampson Boat Co. It chronicles the restoration of a1910 English gaff cutter called Tally Ho, by a young guy in his twenties. He bought it 3 years ago for a $1 as it was in a state.
    The skill and craftsmanship that goes into the project is amazing. The first few videos are short but later they are a bit longer. Anyone interested in boat building will probably find this absorbing, I guess I have spent hours watching the progress, hence why I haven't been on this site regularly. Warning there are 116 videos upto now but I skipped a few of them.
    Regards Michael

2. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sampson Boat Co.

I have been following that site for some time Michael, as i am interested in woodwork. Him and his mates who change from time to time, do a fantastic job, and so skilled. The tools he has available are incredible, and what cost the timber !!!. Also enjoy watching that parrot !!!, kt
    R689823

4. Likes N/A, Michael Black, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    I came across a YouTube channel recently called Sampson Boat Co. It chronicles the restoration of a1910 English gaff cutter called Tally Ho, by a young guy in his twenties. He bought it 3 years ago for a $1 as it was in a state.
    The skill and craftsmanship that goes into the project is amazing. The first few videos are short but later they are a bit longer. Anyone interested in boat building will probably find this absorbing, I guess I have spent hours watching the progress, hence why I haven't been on this site regularly. Warning there are 116 videos upto now but I skipped a few of them.
    Regards Michael
    interesting michael .....i may look some time in the future as i appear to have a few irons in the fire not getting the attention they should ...but as a matter of interest i did in the mid nineties buy a boat fromflorida which had slight flying bridge damage and a few other small probs .....it was indeed a good buy ......not talking megga bucks buut inc delivery about 17000 quid sadly businness took to much time to enjoy it fully ..and dear son with his buddy and two birds caused a damaging situation which helped me solve the situation.....plus beloved was complaining between boat and businness about lack of seeing me so solved a few probs at once.....any way it was another period of life .......like the name tally ho ......mine was named harbour lights.......cappy

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Michael Black, Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith #2 that bird gets through some wood, funny how it uses its mouth to climb around.
    #4 Marian thanks for putting a link on, I struggle to do such things.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 cappy was your boat named after a certain pub in Shields
    Regards Michael

9. Likes N/A, j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 cappy was your boat named after a certain pub in Shields
    Regards Michael
    well thats interesting micheal i was at one time on a wee coastal tanker running mainly from shields to teeside and odd runs elswhwere.....one of everards the allurity ...in the tyne by 6 in the evening a great crowd and happy ship ...our evenings were up on the law top and drinking round that area .....the harbour lights being one of those good bars .......so on naming my boat harbour lights was the reason as it fitted the bill and i liked the name .......must admit never got her off the ouse but a good story against me .......i had 2 mates from shields down a full load odf booze and a lumpof cooked beef big enough to feed an army .....we were just outside york fishing .....tied up to an old tree when along comes a cocky litttle bleeder ...reminded me of myself in my youth .....effin hell mate i wuldnt tie up there .....thinking quiclly i i thought there cant be a prob im above the locks it summer the river is wide ....why i said give is a ciggy and a beer and i will tell you ....eff of you cheeky little twat .....so he effed off .....as it was our second day we had broached the booze to say the least.....and decided to spend the evening off up to york center in the tender and do a few bars ...coming back off to kip ....next morn ...effin boat high and dry ....woken by cocky kid shouting i bleedin told you didnt i ......not in the best of moods ....after the night before i told him to scarper for i kicked his ass .....then with the help of my two mates i worked out ......before we had tied up there had been one big rainfall up in the dales hence the water high above the locks ....we tied up overnite the water drained away ....we werehigh and dry ......louis will be pleased to hear this bit ....AS I PEELED THE SPUDS......ha ha a kedge is what i need .....so summoning my buddy to take a line and swing her ass out into the river .....we got afloat him up to his waist in mud and shite.....me calling you can do it .....any way i was the vessels MASTER... and i had the key to the beer locker ....ah the power i feel giddy thinking about it .....happy days.....cappy tatty peeler extrordinaire ........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Michael the only pub in Shields that Cappy visited was the Mechanics ,with the rare visit to the Ferry Inn when he was held back to touch up the paintwork on the ferry he caused . He was banned from the Jungle on the other side for causing disturbances . Cheers JS
    You just got that yarn in a minute before me Cappy. Very interesting and told in a seamanlike manner. only one query before Graham spots it “ so summoning my buddy to take a line and swing her ass out into the river” , was that Mary ? Cheers have you hit the ginger wine yet ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd December 2021 at 12:46 PM.
    R575129

12. Likes cappy, Michael Black, N/A, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, barred from the Jungle must take some doing!
    Had a few in there myself then up the bank to the Ballarat after been to Shields pool. Happy days
    Regards Michael
    Last edited by Michael Black; 23rd December 2021 at 01:44 PM.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Keith Tindell, N/A, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Were you ever on the North Shields pool. Right next door to the jungle. It disappeared about 1954 or thereabouts Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, barred from the Jungle must take some doing!
    Had a few in there myself then up the bank to the Ballarat after been to Shuelds pool. Happy days
    Regards Michael
    remember the ballarat proper old time pub .....only went into the jungle threetimes twice to get JS out after he kept turning his pint glass upside down and shouting any takers lads...after the ensuing fracas i found him under a table fighting with big bella.....his head clamped between her ample brust ......couldnt see his hands ...she was fiddling as well ...he promised me three shillings and ninepence to keep quiet about it....promised me plenty overtime on the ore carriers.........still havnt seen the cash......cappyR683532

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast