Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Get Lost!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Get Lost!

Why do some people have a terrible sense of direction?
    Why we are so bad at navigation has been a mystery for centuries. The mechanism for the brain's GPS is just starting to be understood.
    What we are talking about is a sense of direction, your ability to get to a destination as quickly and efficiently as possible without getting lost.
    Some people are better at this than others. There is a stereotype of men as better navigators than women.,
    Humans seem poorer at navigation compared to other animals. We don't generally undertake long migrations, our survival hasn't been dependent on doing so. Animals become super navigators because they must.
    Super navigators such as migratory birds can sense the earth's magnetic field. They probably have senses unavailable to us that give them compass of information we lack.
    Girls and boys from country areas have a better sense of direction that children from the cities.
    Good navigators tend to have a superior sense of smell and posture. Women tend to be more cautious than men when navigating being less inclined in taking short cuts.
    On average males are faster and cover less ground in reaching their target.
    Research has found that our navigation abilities have less to do with whether we are male or female and more to do with environmental factors and personal experience. eg. men who drive more giving them more experience in navigation.
    Your brain's GPS is a sophisticated piece of kit that helps you to navigate your world.
    Satnav and phone apps maps may be undermining our natural navigation abilities.
    People with better sense of direction are more likely to explore an environment rather than rely on known routes or technology. This helps build their cognitive maps and improves their sense of direction.
    Thought this an interesting article ( abrieviated) given some posts on this topic. Cheers
    Reference New Scientist Dec 2018

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Get Lost!

Most men can sniff out a pub in any strange surroundings Victoria by just following their nose. They can also sniff out a rat , maybe because most men have the instincts of a dog be it a mongrel or otherwise. Women are usually good at knowing how much money a man has in his pocket, and knows immediately when hes had the same pair of socks on for more than 2 days. My mother used to read tealeaves and used to scare me how accurate she was. My grandmother was a medium and used to scare the bejesus out of me and used to dream of ghosts , until I learned ghosts cant hurt you. ESP is alive and well some have more than others. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with you on the Sat Nav thing, our own ability to find our way around without the Sat nav /Phone nav app is definitely not what it was My wife is the navigator in the McColl house hold. As soon as we move off if heading on a road trip even before we get to the bottom of the road she starts. Jane the Sat nav Girl says turn right, Karen the mental road map girl says turn left. They are both correct but Karen prefers the left turn as she thinks it is quicker but it is longer, and so it begins lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Learned to drive in London, great experience esp on navigation and more, will prob add more later,
    Initially, did much on foot, found certain land marks got much oUt of maps, later a few cabbies and
    cockneys gave me some great tips.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

5. Likes Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When i am over there in England driving, my wife always has the chart on her lap, even though the satnav is on as well, saves her arguing with me, and its arguing with the satnav for once she has no chance of winning !!!,
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    When i am over there in England driving, my wife always has the chart on her lap, even though the satnav is on as well, saves her arguing with me, and its arguing with the satnav for once she has no chance of winning !!!,
    Only cos she's talking to another woman Keith , cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria.
    We used to go to a place called Foster up the NSW coast for holidays, when there we used the local RSL club, every time we came out I would turn right to go back to our motel, and every time my wife would say it's left, and we would argue, until one day she said nothing and I soon found out I was going the wrong way. These days I always listen to my wife while driving.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des our children always found an excuse not to come on any car rallies with us.
    I was navigator only to be disputed by the driver about the direction...he going the way he wanted etc.
    Only when we were going in the opposite direction to the others on the rally ( seen going past us in the opposite direction and hooting their horns
    did hwmo relent and listen to the directions I gave from the instructions that had been given at the start of the rally!
    We always came in last with our children laughing at us.
    They had taken lifts from other members of the group so had arrived well before us.
    Apparently women actually read maps differently from men, holding them upside down to what men do......funny isn't it??

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Satnav like pocket calculators, the net and many other aspects of life are destroying the ability for many to think for them selves.
    All the modern gadgets are great when they work as they should, but the smallest glitch and you are in deep do, do.
    Relying on such is in my opinion destroying the ability for people to navigate their way through any problem in life.
    The brain is a complex object which needs stimulation to keep it active. A case of use it or lose it.

But in general animals are are smarted than the average person and when the last man leaves the planet there will still be some very savvy animals left.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8: Remember years ago, a report from Italy.

Sat Nav, was not going down to well and the
    voice had to be changed to male as the Italians
    were not happy with women telling them what to do. LOL.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

13. Likes Victoria Moss liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast