Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixed Memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mixed Memories

This a.m. I heard of the tragic murder of Sir David Amiss M.P..* What shocked me even more than his death was where this murder took place, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex..

Among the many places I lived as a child and youth in England was Leigh-on-Sea, and my favorite.* Though it was only for a short time I remember it fondly.* I lived in Grange Road.

On a Sunday my step-father would take me with him to a pub. I think it was called "The Ship".* I would stay by the door with a biscuit and a lemonade while he had his couple of beers and a yarn with his mates.* The pub was right next to the "cockle sheds'.* The boats left Leigh on the tide, went out to the cockle banks and using*a large rake gathered cockles and brought them back to Leigh on the next tide.* They cooked them in the sheds and shipped them fresh daily to London.

After his beer, we would walk along the dozen sheds and finally he would buy a couple of pints and we took them home and that would be Sunday afternoon tea.

Leigh-on-Sea, was such a charming little town. I would play around Hadley Castle. And run the streets with never a worry.

How the world has changed in those 60 years...It makes me glad I was born in 1937 and not in 2011, and be 10 years old today. whether in the USA, England or wherever.

Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mixed Memories

Indeed a very shocking Incident, in such as you say was then a quiet Town.
    But with the times there has been huge changes in both the places and the People and sadly for the worse i would say!

But hold on to your good Memories, as those are the ones that keep one sane!

Mindless Murder! Oh what is happening in the World of Today!
    Yes to be Born in those times i feel was a lot better in many ways, but for the War Years! Many unfortunately have those Horrible memories to bare!

Take Care
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the Taliban taking over Afghanistan has opened Pandora's box for these idiots. they should bring back hanging when they catch the bloke on the job, no possibility of dodging the drop by saying I was bullied by the police.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Rodders as you say it was a lovely place back then.
    I recall as a young lad the family going there for a holiday staying in a B&B where you had to be out by 100 hours each day.
    But I do remember a bit of a beach there, great times as a youngster.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Off the subject of murder but still in the theme of Southend. When I was fifteen, impatiently awaiting sixteen when I could go into the Merch., I worked in a place called the Regency Grill Bar, next door to the Ivy House pub. I worked my way up from spud peeler to chip fryer out on the fish fryers at the front of the shop.

On Coronation day, I fried and dished up for take away two and a half tons of chips. There were two fish fry cooks along side me and it was non stop. The busiest guy was the owner emptying the cash register.

Southend used to be jammed packed during the summer from 1946 to about 1956. People would come down for the Kursal amusement park and to see the lights. For those that don't know what the lights mean its bulbs set in a framework and making an illuminating moving picture show and thousands strung from posts down and across the street. It wouldn't be much of a big deal today with all the entertainment options, but back then in a more simpler world it was a pretty big deal.

Johnno, mentioned having to be out of the B and B by 10a.m. on his weeks holiday, if you lucked out and got a weeks sunshine it could be grand, but if if rained, which it often did, it was pure misery.

The end to Southend's prosperity came due to cheap holiday packets in Spain, My guess that's what put the end to Butlin's Holiday camps too. Why not go to Spain, sunshine garanteed, beats being jammed under a shelter along with hundreds of others, dying to go the toilet ,but afraid to move and lose your spot out of the rain.

Adios Amigos, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Summer 1947 Southend was my first time at the seaside, after war torn London it was a wonderland, the Kursaal with its huge array of amusements
    and paddling in the sea, sadly the amusement park at the rear of the Kursaal shut down in the early 70s and is now a housing estate, the Kursaal
    Ballroom closed in the mid 80s but the building is still there. The best time I had at Southend was summer 58, aboard Shaw Savills Waiwera returning
    from aus for payoff in London we had to anchor off southend pier for six weeks as the docks were on strike, had a great time there, even slept under
    the pier after missing the boat and caught the mail boat back in the morning, cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wrote to the Prime Minister tellinh him that we need to bring back capital punishment AS THERE IS NO DETERRENT TO STOP MURDERS.
    NO ANSwER YET The killer will be back on thr street before he is 40 years old ready to kill again.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th October 2021 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although i do agree with that Capt for all Countries, it seems though that even the Re Introduction will not stop the Killings.
    It is something in bred in many now and they dont care what happens to them after they have committed the Crime.
    Its a no Win situation i feel! And what a real shame !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've thought for many years that the death penalty should be restored in England, also think that if the death penalty is not seen as a deterrent
    that's not not fearlessness but more likely to do with drugs, when capital punishment ended in the mid 60s the population in this country was vastly
    different to what it is now, and with all these "migrants" crossing the channel, who knows what to expect next, it's unbelievable what has been allowed
    to happen to this once Green and Pleasant Land, I feel sorry for the kids of today, as a id in the post war years it was pretty safe to get on your bike and go fishing or play in the street without being abducted or having a knife stuck in you, not anymore it seems, cheers.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

In earlier times few would know, gossip in time may have got from village to village but,
    nothing like today. Such is life now.

K.

12. Likes Keith Adams, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast