Thread: Bells Drinks, Beers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bells Drinks, Beers

Vera Lynn-Roll Out The Barrel ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrwPE0Z07ug

Phylloxera changed much French vine wise, changed wine making etc unlike the potato blight nearer home that became the Great Famine also known as the Great Hunger.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#49 you werenít an arf and an arf man then Rodney , a half of whisky and a half of beer. Stayed with a friend in Aberdeen once with the wife and she got a rapid education about how the other half live her being a teetotler. Typical of fisherman families where the females curse as bad as the men. After about the 10 th arf and an arf my friend fell over into the fireplace , his wife picked him up by the back of his collar and his belt and ran him upstairs to bed , telling him he had had enough with the appropriate words. We may not have much money but we have seen life. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#48 They needed to be drunk....they were probably lined up for slaughter so you could eat that "tender" beef at your table. Poor things.

Now Chickens, my dad used to feed them a form of "mash" and it made the eggs very tasty and yellow.....until they stopped laying then it was out with the axe and like Alice in Wonderland... "off with their heads". Our white Samoyed dog had fun running around after these headless chickens that still thought there was some hope .....couldn't eat the roast chicken that night or any other time.
    I wasn't supposed to see the execution as I just a kid but always did as I hid in the coal bunker and dad didn't see me......put me off most meats for life.
    Last edited by Victoria Moss; 13th October 2021 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of years ago as a young lad I spent time on the Pig farm my step father was in partnership with.
    Once a week we went up to the London brewery to collect sludge.
    It was the remains of the mash after the grog had been made.
    It was mixed with other cooked swill and the pigs grew fat on it very fast.
    In those days the Pork was very juicy,, not like the dry stuff of today all fged on meal.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still talking booze and our preferences, i don't know if its a throw back from MN days, but i much prefer a pint at lunchtime, yes, i have sat on the stern pretty much every evening, chatting and quaffing cans, but these days, to go out in the evening for a pint, forget it, too bloody idol i suppose. But the lunch time pint is a joy, and even at sea, that preference cost money, nip ashore for a pint, 1300 hrs, sod it, stay in the pub and be logged. Just wonder how many guys in our old age prefer the lunchtime *wet*
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Still talking booze and our preferencesJust wonder how many guys in our old age prefer the lunchtime *wet*
    I used to enjoy a few after 12-4 in morning with 2nd mate, then get my head down about half five / quarter to six.
    I find now that I can only drink rum in the afternoon as I don't sleep well if I drink it at night, although it could be the caffeine in the coke?
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th October 2021 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #49 you weren’t an arf and an arf man then Rodney We may not have much money but we have seen life. JS
    In my experience of Aberdeen, that description must fit at least 70% of the female population. I spent at least a full week every month from 1990 to 2016 always stayed at the Cloverleaf in Bucksburn. I had many local friends there including locals and staff; There was one particular lady barmaid who could hold her own and keep control in bar which could get quite rowdy at times. Great lady!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th October 2021 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John. #51. Your post makes me laugh as i think about it — My Mum remarried in 1949 when i was too old to care so didn’t agree to changing my surname. Anyway, they started a Small Holding pig farm on the Wirral. Had just over two hundred pigs, breeders and in all stages of life. Had some Grey Hounds as well. They won a contract with Cunard and Canadian Pacific to be at the Pier Head for each ship’s arrival and were unloading the large bins of food waste through the “D” Deck side ports before the ship’s had finished tying up ! As 5th Mate on the “E OF BRITAIN” I was always on the bridge for arrival. Our Old Man Capt. Dobson called me to the wing and, pointing down to the landing stage said, “Look at that idiot, get down there and tell them to hold off until we are properly tied up “. Just at that time, my technically Step Father, dressed in his heavily Pig Swill soiled clothing, looked up, waved and called me out by name ! Fortunately we were far enough away to assume he was addressing some one else. At that same time a few of our stewards were exiting onto the camel as first ashore. Think Capt. Dobson just gave up any hope of a dignified arrival ! Cheers John, you have company ! Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Bells Drinks, Beers

Victoria # 53. Brings back memories for me too.Only for me it was turkeys.I was only little too,about 6 or 7 and we lived out in the country.Dad was a policeman and back in the late 1950's policemen's wages weren't that good,especially if you had three children to bring up.So Dad ,Sid the Sod,(as we called him behind his back),would,in the run up to Christmas take me with him to 'moonlight' at a job turkey-culling at a farm.Not in an abattoir, but heads snapped with a crow bar, real free-range turkeys,if you can call free -range being cooped up in a barn with thousands of other gobbling birds and fattened up for Christmas dinners.
    I was supposed to play with the tenant farmer's children but one time I wandered off to find Dad,went into the turkey barn through a side door and was immediately 'attacked' and chased by a couple of ugly panicking turkeys looking for an exit(let's face it,turkeys ARE ugly birds,are not they.-I should know,I've had a few ugly birds in my time but that's another story!-joke !) Anyway luckily one of the farm hand cullers ran to my rescue,not before my innocent little eyes witnessed a headless turkey running around,and a bucket full of turkey heads destined for the pigs.....
    Mentally scarred for life-post-traumatic stress disorder at 7 years old!
    I honestly can say I have never eaten turkey since that day back in 1958. Turkeys and Christmas for me are not synonymous.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My old man would never eat or have chicken on the table when he was there. He said you couldn’t tell the difference between chicken or rat. Whether he had had a bad experience when in the army , or when he was brought up in poverty during his younger days , never did find out. Cheers JS.

Watching friends who were farmers killing chickens by the score for the Xmas festivities all it took was a broom handle, they grabbed the chicken by the legs flopped its head on the ground , laid the broom shank over its neck , stood on the broom shank , and one quick jerk and he went to meet its ancestors. Fastest killing machine I’ve seen for so little outlay.
    Sailing with our eastern friends they had a more cruel and longer process they used to cut the birds neck and let it run around until it bled to death , where prayers were finally said , Time and motion wise it came second.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th October 2021 at 12:18 AM.
    R575129

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, Victoria Moss, Graham Shaw thanked for this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast