Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crisis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Crisis

Here in the UK we are experiencing a crisis situation in the labour market. HGV drivers, warehouse workers, food production, health care and other sectors. When we were in the EU many employers chose to hire foreign workers in preference over British. Some to take advantage of the fact that is was cheaper to employ from the EU, they could hire and fire them more easily. Brexit came along and thousands of EU workers returned to their home countries. Now these same employers are demanding government help because they cannot fill the vacancies left. If young British workers had been trained to do the jobs there would not be a crisis. One of my son's passed the HGV test years ago but no employers would give him a job because of the insurance cost of newly qualified drivers. He was told he needed two years driving experience but it was impossible to gain the experience if he couldn't get a job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crisis

Could not agree more, these problems are being manufactured to try to get access to the cheap labour in the EU. Transport companies have had a couple of years to solve the problem, how many haulage companies train their own drivers, very few. no good blaming the government, employ Brits and pay a decent wage, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is 1.6m unemployed in the UK, all sitting around getting paid for doing nothing.
    Those that are fit should be offered work and training, turn the work down no dole money.
    No doubt many will find that this is outrageous and possibly against H.R. etc, but we have developed a culture of expectation where being idle is seen as a status symbol.
    Before anyone jumps on their high horse, this was the system in the late 1960's take the job offered, no take , no dole.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 30th September 2021 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, free rehab, where?
    Free rehab in Scotland and the East Midlands is queuing up for your doze of Methadone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see Furlough end s today, thats been another bloody great fiddle in many cases. A young girl we know was furloughed, worked in another job for awhile, she has now applied to be a probation officer !!! would you believe, advising the fallen, kt
    R689823

6. Thanks N/A, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis, There is a lot more to add mate, Extortionate fuel prices in October for everyone yes its a global issue, £20 taken from the people that most need it, a big rise in N.I. Contributions for the low paid higher taxes, The haulage companies only have them selves to blame, As do poultry and fruit and veg farmers they cant get the eastern European to do the work and unless they increase the minimum wage massively no young brit is going to step forward for that job, £8.75p an hour for care workers is it a wonder they are throwing the towel in by the minutes. Has the illegal migrant given up crossing the Chanel like hell they have. The N.H.S. Has been underfunded for years. The lowest paid are facing the biggest hike in N.I. Contributions and taxes. Panic buying is causing mayhem at the fuel pumps, I could go on all day The truth is the Tory government dont give a monkeys as long as they are alright. B.J. Pleaded for us all to lend him our vote, He never got mine and never will i suspect there will be posts reminding me that we are going through a pandemic, More the reason to look after the people who work for next to nothing wages amongst it if this country is struck down with another variant of covid this winter the N.H.S. Will collapse And everyone on this forum with it Terry.
    {terry scouse}

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A shortage of qualified employees is not just a problem for UK.
    Here in Oz we too have a problem due mainly to border closures.
    Employment prior to the virus second wave was at a low of 4.2%, bit more now though.

But some tough rules here make kit harder to gain the dole, you must provide evidence of attempting to get at least an interview with 2 employers a week to get the money.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In reply to Marian. In the haulage industry the companies pay the insurance costs of their drivers. The insurance is higher for a newly qualified driver, after two years the costs reduce. I am not aware of any probation period or repaying employer.

In reply to Vic. You often quote questionable facts and figures to make your point which do not check out. We are a wealthy developed nation with employment rights of a third world country. Have you ever thought why some people are not rushing to take up job vacancies ? Zero hour contracts were a person does not know from week to week how much or little they will earn making it impossible to budget for rent, food, gas, electric and all other household expenses. Bogus self employment, a person works for a company but is not employed by the company. The worker is denied sick pay and paid holidays, they can be fired at a minutes notice. Long term agency work, once again a person works continuously for a company such as Sports Direct in their giant warehouses but their employer is the agency. The company avoids all responsibility for the workers.
    Would any site members have agreed to work in such circumstances ?

14. Thanks Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis, Questionable facts- I always check my facts before replying, not like some on here.
    Agency workers have the same rights as an employee after 10 weeks probation period- check your facts Louis.
    Zero hours contracts or as it was known in the past piece work, yes it has its problems, but a lot of people like the hours, students for one.
    So Louis check your facts please.
    Regards
    Vic

16. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast