Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cromwell and Rosslyn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cromwell and Rosslyn.

John S. It was in another thread, on the Knight Templers that free masonry was discussed. My father and grandfather were lodge members but not for me. I tend to be rather parochial and read the history of my area. This is extracts form another local historian W Thom published in 1811 on his thoughts of free masonry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To everyone,

Scotland's Freemasons have admitted its future may be in jeopardy by the rise in atheism.

The 1960-70 period saw the start of the decline of Freemasonry.
    After the World War Two Generation a younger Generation collide with mainstream ideals. (In other words they prefer individualism).
    When you look into the immediate problem, the simple answer is, people are just not interested in what the Masons represent anymore.

Regards from
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26. Thanks Bill can’t read it due to eyes. However have good idea what it might say. I have nothing against those who prefer to keep clear of masonry it is purely up to the individual. What I am against is false premises put out about it. By people reading newspaper clippings written by people also having no idea about the principles of the Orders . I have said all I have to say about it in the hope others may be corrected about some of the gumf put out about it. The first masons were those who built the pyramids and the later ones took up their ways as rituals for the foundation of the present Freemasons who are not operative masons. My father was a builder but not a Freemason . Cheers JS

#27. The only stipulation as regards religion ,unless has been changed is that one must admit to the belief of a supreme being. This can be in Any Religion. I know many non Christian Freemasons of every faith and hue. Alien religions in a Christian Lodge simply take any obligations required on their own sacred law. Believe the Hindu faith their Deighty maybe the cow. JS .

#24 As to being invited to join there is a bit more to it than that. The lodge members will help to decide that and all it takes is one dissenter and your application will be turned down. Also at least 3 members of the Lodge will pay you a visit at time and place of your choosing to discuss membership with yourself and partner , be it male or female in these days of sexual equality , to see if he or she is in agreeance and will not force you into penury .These will make their report back to the Lodge members on your suitability. Subject then to no life of crime , the members will then decide . Any signs of one being liable to cause dissention and the breaking of harmony in the lodgeroom and there will probably be more than one vote against suitability. Democracy in this dying world ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd August 2021 at 01:30 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Fouro, Bill Morrison, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To everyone,
    Here is a very important report of history you should all enjoy reading.
    Click html below to read it.

https://heatonhistorygroup.org/tag/merchant-navy/

Regards from
    Fouro.

6. Thanks j.sabourn, Bill Morrison, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#29 Well Fouro it's a small world. As said before I like local history and as a member of the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS there are some fascinating stories that come to light. This was the story of the S.S Rubislaw and the POW camp Ruhleben.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks Fouro, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was asked a few years ago to join but declined.

I spend three days a week assisting as a volunteer at the local community health center, supervising the men's shed and assisting in the day center.
    this section runs daily groups of citizens of all ages, most haver some underlying health condition, stroke, Parkinson's, aquired brain injury, early stage dementia to mention just a few.
    But they are all happy groups who are doing their best to enjoy what life they have, it is very rewarding just to see what my input can do to make their day a bit better.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    #29 Well Fouro it's a small world. As said before I like local history and as a member of the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS there are some fascinating stories that come to light. This was the story of the S.S Rubislaw and the POW camp Ruhleben.
    And after Ruhleben read this sad story of what happened to the SS Rubislaw and most of her crew.
    Click on html below.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...world-war/amp/

Regards from
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your cutting from the Press and Journal Fouro. Although not my favourite newspaper by any means shows probably the basics of the story in general. I know you are genuine in your sympathy’s when it comes to looking for the truth when it comes to nautical disasters as such, bythe information I have been able to glean from your posts on the likes of the Piper Alpha and the early deaths of some of the survivors who are not always those from the stricken vessel. The likes of the coxn of the Silver Pits frc and the one survivor from the Sandhaven frc.
    The early death of the one in charge of the Tharos , and the early deaths themselves of some of those who survived the inferno on the Piper Alpha itself. Many that I and others will never know. There are many survivors after a disaster and a lot of these are rescuers themselves and depending on their strength to survive trauma, will be victims themselves . Newspapers don’t follow up with these stories , as no one except those involved want to know and help if possible. I doubt very much if a newspaper could explain adequately in any case. The story you have presented although probably as near to the truth as one is going to get is probably only half the story , the anguish and regrets of family and friends can never really be shown. The best that can be achieved is that ordinary people like those who have written books about the facts can keep the memories of those lost alive. It is good that people like yourself and Bill take an interest in history and make it known to all in general. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th August 2021 at 12:45 AM.
    R575129

13. Thanks Bill Morrison, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As aid many time before John, the media of any sort only tell their version of the truth.
    Make it as astounding as possible in order to sell copy.

Daily here in Melbourne the Dictator holds a press conference to explain the current Virus situation.
    Daily the same reporters ask the same dumb questions then go to print or screen with their version of what they consider to be the answer given.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post

Recall also an Holy Grail link ?

K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post