Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympics Toykyo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Olympics Toykyo

Ok no one seems to have mentioned this elephant in the room.
    I think it should have been shunted to the next time i.e. 2024 rather than do what has been done.
    Yes heaps of money is involved and national pride I daresay.
    Maybe they needed the distraction but going from the protests and case numbers in Japan it seems to be irresponsible to have continued on at this point in time.
    Is the Olympics still relevant anymore??
    Waiting for incoming.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Olympics Toykyo

It’s not relevant to me Victoria , as I said as soon as they took the amateur status away that took away any interest I had. JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just my thoughts , is that Yes there is still a lot of interest in the Olympics this unfortunately cannot be seen in the Numbers this time round of course, but there is i am sure very much interest going on in Millions of Households on the wonderful wide World!
    I for one have been watching what and when i can, as there are many Sports that i really enjoy.
    The Number one like many many others to me though is the Swimming, and at least Aussie has achieved some Gold there already!
    A long way to go still, so am sure there will be more to follow.
    But as said just because their are no Spectators , its a National Pride for each Nation, and the best is brought out in each Athlete during these times, these Games make it even more difficult i feel with all Athletes having to put up with all the restrictions, and i again for one , applaud them one and all.
    Let the Games go on and on, and may they get bigger and better each time .
    Long live the Olympics!

Rant over LOL
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking to day at a list of 'sports' persons who made money from Olympics.
    Top ten with roger F at number 4 and $45 mil.
    But the greatest was way back in the 1980's when some tennis player made over 1 billion from his fame at the Olympics.
    Amature sport is the only true form.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amature Sport may be a good thing , that i will agree but heck if one works so hard to achieve ones Goal in life , so what paying the Guy or Gal for it. Not all Sports are bent!
    I say those that get paid for honesty for what they do, are worthy of whatever they get!
    I sure wouldnt like to work that hard and not see any gain, and it does for a fact make the sport better, as those that get paid work so much harder!
    My belief!
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Thanks Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard Brisbane has been awarded the 2032 Summer Olympics.Congrats! Flowers!.gif
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 26th July 2021 at 10:37 AM.

11. Likes Marian Gray, Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Uncle Ted [ Edmond] Aspinall, was a Gymnast for Britain in the Olympic Games at White City , London in 1908

He was chosen and told to be there. No Expenses or transport provided, He and another Gymnast had to walk all the 200 miles to London and back. took nearly a week both ways sleeping rough in haystacks etc,

He performed and when he returned he was Sacked from his job as a Spinner in the Cotton Mill for taking more than one weeks annual holiday off.

He always said he was glad it wasn't in Tokyo.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th July 2021 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not my cup of tea.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

14. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    Ok no one seems to have mentioned this elephant in the room.
    I think it should have been shunted to the next time i.e. 2024 rather than do what has been done.
    Yes heaps of money is involved and national pride I daresay.
    Maybe they needed the distraction but going from the protests and case numbers in Japan it seems to be irresponsible to have continued on at this point in time.
    Is the Olympics still relevant anymore??
    Waiting for incoming.
    You make a fair enough point about delaying until 2024. But put yourself in an Olympians position. You have trained hard now for the 2020 games only for them to be cancelled until 2021. You are at the top of your game but you are clocking up the years that you will have been at your peak. What drive or ambition would you have knowing that come 2024 you are well past your peak and best. There is a whole new upcoming generation coming through.
    If you want irresponsible just look at the live sporting events recently staged in England. European football final 60,000 official fans , gate crashed by a mob of allegedly 5000 more fans. Then there was the Wimbledon fort night closely followed by the British F1 Grand Prix 140,000 fans allowed to attend. To top that off we had the (British) Open Golf championship at Royal St George with large crows as well. Apparently all those who attended had to have Covid tests and also I believe had to have proof they had been double vaccinated. Ummmm!!!!! Irresponsible ? Well we will see the numbers in a few days. Although the Gov are saying that latest figures show the numbers of new Covid cases are dropping.

Northern Ireland now has the highest rate of cases per 100,000 of the UK population . I do not know what the travel regulations are between Northern Ireland & The Republic of Ireland. The amount of cars coming over from the South to the North is alarming. My village is a tourist hotspot as are most villages along this stretch of coast. My village is more or less heading back into lock down. We have two cafes/coffee shops, 3 pubs one that is a gastro pub , 3 fast food outlets . So the gastro pub is now shut and undergoing a deep clean due to an outbreak in Covid, the two Cafes closed for deep cleaning due to covid, 1 of the fast food outlets closed due to covid. The charity shop I work in has now been closed due to covid. A problem here is the 18-30 age group are being slow to get vaccinated. There are a couple of teens in ICU now on ventilators. Covid is not going away any time soon, by the looks of it.IMHO
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 26th July 2021 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3. You make a good point for the Olympics Vernon especially the national pride bit and most would agree.However the same as national soccer how long will it be before the same happens where foreign athletes are employed to represent countries they don’t belong to, Yorkshire years ago in the cricket world one had to be born and bred in the county to represent your county this is no longer in existence , what happened to the pride there. Was it replaced by monetary gain or What? I dont decry the Olympic Games they came about thousands of years ago and were good for society. However myself see no advantage in them nationally today apart from the money, that amateur athletes could also achieve probably with much more satisfaction to a lot of people . JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast