Thread: "Just WHAT did they Say We Do with these Austins?! .... No ! ..... Really? "

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post "Just WHAT did they Say We Do with these Austins?! .... No ! ..... Really? "

Here's one for both shiplovers and classic car buffs, but maybe not one for the environmentalists-you can look away now !

For those interested,the ship concerned was the 1929-built m.v.Dongedyk, a 10,942 grt cargo ship of the Nederlandse Amerikaansche Stoomvaart company.After the fire in 1952 she was rebuilt,and lengthened and continued trading. She was sold in 1966 to Taiwanese interests and scrapped that year in Kaohsiung.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 9th July 2021 at 06:18 AM.

Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Just WHAT did they Say We Do with these Austins?! .... No ! ..... Really? "

A true story of how attitudes change over the years.
    I notice no one suggested draining the oil from these cars...all 4 to 5 litres of it!
    But it seems to me to be a publicity stunt at best. But. Hey-Ho.....I guess in its day, it worked.
    And I'll guess the dealer never had to pay a penny.... Because the cars were not delivered.
    Nothing much changes.

3. Likes Graham Shaw, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Just WHAT did they Say We Do with these Austins?! .... No ! ..... Really? "

#1.. Graham as you recently looked up a ship for me the Maratha Envoy ,and believe I said two holds out of the 7 , being numbers 2 and 4 could sail with them empty as ship was built for such , car decks were fitted to enable 300 cars per hold to be carried. The regulations of carrying such on the drive on drive off system which literally means they had to have petrol in their tanks meant that you had to be able to force draft the hold areas to change the air at frequent intervals .I soon found out this caused a lot of sweating in the holds and potential damage to the brand new motors .Anyone who has carried cars will know the strict insurance policies with such, so rather than arrive in Honolulu or wherever with 600 rusty vehicles I usd to waive doing the hold ventilation of change of air and take the calculated risk of going up in the air in a Big Bang. Just used to open the booby hatches to let the smell of petrol out to ease my conscience. Hope your jaguar E-type arrived in good condition . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th September 2021 at 12:35 AM.
    R575129

5. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post