Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cereal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cereal

Here in Victoria we are known for our sporting way of life.
    We have the footy finals, Melbourne Cup, Australian Open tennis, GP. Phillip Island Motor Cycle GP and a few others as well.

We are considered the Coffee capital of Oz with more coffee shops per capita than any other city.
    We have the most diverse range of restaurants of any country.

We also according to many motoring groups the worlds worst drivers here in the city.
    Country siders are fine it is mainly the suburbs where the problem is.

I blame this on Kellogs, I am sure they put driving licenses in the packets for any one who wants them.

I was taught to drive y an ex Police driving instructor and am of the opinion that all should be taught by fully qualified driving instructors.

Not by family and friends where all they learn are bad habits.

How is it in UK now?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cereal

John, still the same regarding requirements, but for some years now anyone with a full license can take on a driving school franchise where they supply a fully liveried vehicle and they will forward you clients. I knew a guy who was a complete dickhead with anything he tackled; he packed it in after I think 6 months as apparently he was required to pass an instructors exam which he failed several times, I wonder how many students he had through his hands in that 6 month period?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re#2 Lewis
    Agree with you totally regarding BMW and Audi drivers, I don't drive anymore due to eyesight problems but when out with the wife in her car we both see these motors being driven by lunatics, undertaking and tail gating. When I was sailing I would usually join or leave my ship by driving a hire car down to the ship in U.K. ports with my sharing partner using the car for his pay off journey and those BMW and AUDI drivers were the biggest menace on the road, going down to join in the MSC the stretch of motorway from the A1 across to Manchester was a nightmare full of them, especially so on the stretch from the Leeds area over the penines.
    Nowadays, walking around town the biggest danger is from idiots on electric scooters who charge recklessly around the pavements, despite it being illegal unless you are on one hired from a licensed provider.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now funny thing is that i have never in my life had any Driving lessons. I self taught in actually just getting in a Car one day and Drove, and for te first time was not too bad at all> May just have been in instinct !
    But i have ben driving for many many Years now and have had even an Extra Heavy Duty Licence at one stage when Driving Fuel Tankers, and Busses !
    So as said no lessons at all and still going! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got my first license in NZ 68 years ago, afterwards I took an advanced driving course with the NZ Highway Patrol, they ran them free of charge, at 89 next month I have never had a ticket since starting to drive, that course stuck with me at all times, I put my son through as much of it as I could, except the skid pan, he is now 60 with not tickets.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we always say beware of drivers wearing hats, they will be total Richard Craniums.

But here in Melbourne the very worst of all drivers are the ones who drive any form of TOYOTA for some odd reason.
    They consider they are something special by owing one.

But those who drives Utes, mainly young tradies have in my opinion a total frontal labotomy judging by the way they drive.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    # Why would anyone own up to owning a Toyota? My Lada has never given one day of trouble in the last 20 years.
    you should try starting it Lewis: p

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, since coming ashore in the eighties, I have only had one job which did not involve high mileage driving; during those years I came to the same conclusion about drivers who wear hats, give em all a wide berth.
    The worst is middle aged guys wearing baseball caps back to front or any women wearing baseball caps regardless of angles. Tailgating - got to be Germany first closely followed by Holland.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tailgating here in Victoria is a crime according to the law.
    But it would appear many drivers are not aware of that.
    To make them pull up suddenly I do not hit the brakes just hit the lights for a second or two.
    Those idiots do not know the difference between stop lights and tail lights.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes vic mcclymont, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Only thing I will say about the French , if you are riding a motorcycle they will move over to let a biker get past, here in the UK car drivers view motorcyclists as a target
    Don't know what part of UK you've ridden it Lewis, but as a car driver I always move over for motorcyclists when in traffic jams in town or on the motorway, I like my wing mirrors intact!

I also follow the HGV unwritten code on single carriageways, if the way is clear ahead I flick on my left indicator, if the way is not safe to overtake I flick on my right indicator, most riders and motorists understand the system which is widely used throughout the UK and essential on our roads in Devon and Cornwall. Most riders appreciate it and give a raised hand as they pass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast