Thread: Who are you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Who are you

Hi everyone,
    My grandfather's surname was Boyle.
    I was born at my Boyle grandparent's house in Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
    Click on html below to read some history of the Clan.

https://www.scotsconnection/clan_crests/boyle.htm

Regards from,
    Fouro.

2. Likes Denis O'Shea, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re my post above.
    Let's try again.
    Click on html below.

https://www.scotsconnection.com/clan_crests/boyle.htm

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fouro, when I first bought a computer I had a go at my family tree, I've always been interested in my families history and really enjoyed
    getting to learn about Genealogy, it brought out the detective in me . I found my maternal Great Great Grandfather was a ships master, he
    died when his ship was lost with all hands on the Goodwin Sands 1868, my thanks to Keith for his help on that. I remembered dad saying his
    family originally came from Scotland, so I had a go at that but soon found that for a novice the Scottish records are very difficult to access , so
    I employed a Scottish lady to research that side of my family, she was very good and went back some 300 years before it became unclear, I am
    very pleased with it all, the Genealogist sent me a large Dossier , some sad, some funny {shotgun weddings with fire & brimstone threats }
    My Great Great Grandfather brought his family to England in 1855 where they settled in Islington London, I loved it, cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 17th June 2021 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John F.C. #34. If you start researching your family tree as they call it, you have to take it warts and all. Genealogy is now big business DNA test etc. My interest started with an aunt looking for her paternal grandfather, rather a tricky one as her father my maternal grandfather was illegitimate though as is often the case in Scotland he was given the father's name.
    This she started long before computers and you had to pay researchers to go through the archives and records which could be rather basic, it was known he had moved to England and was a tailor to trade and that was it for her. She passed away in 2002. When I retired in 2005 with time on my hands and a computer I took up the thread and traced him to Reading, married with family and a small business, then Bristol and finally Liverpool. The irony of this was my aunt lived in Bristol all her married life.

I have used many sites in my research and if possible to keep costs down those that don't charge, the Mormons had a good site, the National Library of Scotland, you have to register but free to residents. There are ones in Canada. Australia N.Z. and Ellis Island USA. It never ends once you start but you can be easily side tracked if something interesting catches your eye.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: Who are you

I hired à researcher from Perthshire to go through one side of the family history. I didn't care how many cans of worms got upset but the snobs in the family didn't like the search results one bit.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#35 .. All goes to show that some of the old sayings are true to life. The one “ you can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your rellies “. Crops up frequently when researching such. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For any one wanting to find their family tree, try the Church of Latter Day Saints, often known as the Mormons.

They have in Salt Lake city copies of just about every piece of info relating to any one who ever lived.
    Part of their religion is for all members to trace as far back as they can.

We have used it with great success.

- - - Updated - - -

For any one wanting to find their family tree, try the Church of Latter Day Saints, often known as the Mormons.
    All their churches has a genenolagy department

They have in Salt Lake city copies of just about every piece of info relating to any one who ever lived.
    Part of their religion is for all members to trace as far back as they can.

We have used it with great success.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #35 .. All goes to show that some of the old sayings are true to life. The one “ you can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your rellies “. Crops up frequently when researching such. JS.
    One of mum's favourite sayings cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#32. No relation to the Boyle’s of Tynemouth / North Shields , fishermen out of North Shields are they Fouro ? Knew the father and son both worked. In the North Sea in the oil and gas Industry. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    Hi John F.C. #34. If you start researching your family tree as they call it, you have to take it warts and all. Genealogy is now big business DNA test etc. My interest started with an aunt looking for her paternal grandfather, rather a tricky one as her father my maternal grandfather was illegitimate though as is often the case in Scotland he was given the father's name.
    This she started long before computers and you had to pay researchers to go through the archives and records which could be rather basic, it was known he had moved to England and was a tailor to trade and that was it for her. She passed away in 2002. When I retired in 2005 with time on my hands and a computer I took up the thread and traced him to Reading, married with family and a small business, then Bristol and finally Liverpool. The irony of this was my aunt lived in Bristol all her married life.

I have used many sites in my research and if possible to keep costs down those that don't charge, the Mormons had a good site, the National Library of Scotland, you have to register but free to residents. There are ones in Canada. Australia N.Z. and Ellis Island USA. It never ends once you start but you can be easily side tracked if something interesting catches your eye.
    Hi Bill thanks for that it was very interesting, I read that in the old days before computers Genealogist paid people to photograph gravestones to aid their research. I did my Family tree because I was interested in my forebears and also to occupy my mind after losing my wife, I found it a great help, one
    of the hardest cases I found was {like yourself} my paternal great grandfather, it must have been a horrible situation for my grandmother and her two
    brothers, he died of sclerosis and dropsy, their mother also died of cancer, it was 1874, grandmother was the youngest her brother George was 12 Charlie was 15,when their father died George went to the Doctors to get the death certificate, the Doctor had spelt the family name wrong, George could not read or write, he put his cross beside his fathers misspelt name, being a novice it was a hard nut to crack but got it in the end and have a copy of the death certificate complete with George's cross, George went on to become a boot maker and eventually owned his own shop cheers
    Last edited by John F Collier; 19th June 2021 at 10:26 PM.

13. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast