Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Who are you

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    My gt,gt,gt grandfather was a direct line descendant from Robert II. He was a tacksmen (taxman) working on one of the Stewart estates in Perthshire. Culloden and the clearances in the Highlands put paid to that employment and he later became what was known as a Moss Laird..Although this new employment was voluntary it was slavery, but that is another story.

Regards from,
    Fouro.
    Here is some info referring to the Moss Lairds.
    Click on html below.

Perthshire Diary - October 27th 1787

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Cappy. Before I started my family research, I was sure I may have been a blood brother of yours. There seems there is no connection between the Aberdeenshire Morrisons (Morison) and the western isles. This is where it goes wrong, Aberdeenshire Morrisons are descended from a Norman called Maurice, this became Morris and hence Morrison. To make matters worse I have had to hand in my horned helmet, buy a beret a bike with crossbar and start selling onions. My mothers side were McPhersons deed poll may be handy.
    Bill

3. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well without going into Personal History Facts that i have on Paper after a lot of research, all i can say that is i know we were the Lord of the Isles (MacDonald of Sleat) but i see in a Pic here that we too looked like a Viking then LOL So who knows i too may be some distant relation to cappy! Oh my Word!!
    Cheers

Clan Macdonald of Sleat - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th June 2021 at 09:06 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mother was a Douglas , and she was always quick to claim it was not the black Douglas variety. She had relations in Glasgow called Fisher , as remember staying there for a very short period during the war in a tenement
    Block. One of my mothers sisters , believe have. Said before reckoned she was related to Mary Queen of Scots. My Scottish grandfather however had a brother who lived in Dublin and was a watchmaker. He had nothing to do with the Chronometer. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now Vernon, maybe you are related to the Golden Arches one, worth a bit more that the other.

As to the Black and White Whisky.
    It all went wrong when the daughter of Buchanan went and married an English guy and she was cut off from the family.
    Her son lived in Sunderland across the road from my GGF, he got bugger all as well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Doc Vernon, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    My mother was a Douglas , and she was always quick to claim it was not the black Douglas variety. She had relations in Glasgow called Fisher , as remember staying there for a very short period during the war in a tenement
    Block. One of my mothers sisters , believe have. Said before reckoned she was related to Mary Queen of Scots. My Scottish grandfather however had a brother who lived in Dublin and was a watchmaker. He had nothing to do with the Chronometer. JS
    Aye, I can see it now, your family was the one who went through saying "Gee us your shoes, Gee us your shoes or Ill stab ye
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16... Des I was sitting postulating the other day ( only put these words in so Cappy has to get the dictionary out ) thinking back to as kid how many times I was told to pull my socks up. I think there was a post some time ago on here about sayings and was going to put on there if wasn"t already. Too hard to find so may fit in here. This saying may of originated in Scotland and may of been in reference to pulling your socks up your Dirk is showing. Notice I have spelt Dirk correctly not as some might do. So shows what a good Council Education I had and not by men with brown Habits and tonsures , and female penguins who never showed their legs. A good British education where you learned the Alphabet by the time you were 15, and ready to face the world head on. See Victoria is in strife again with the Covus , waiting for John in Ozs assessment of the situation . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder why your mother didn't want anything to do with the Black Douglas.
    Sir James Douglas often called good Sir James and the Black Douglas was King Robert the Bruce's right hand man and a Feudal Lord.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 Too late to ask her now Fouro, just one of those things we neglect to do at the time her two sisters gone as well so no one left to ask. I can only guess and conjecture , but am not too conversant in Scottish history as regards the years of their heroes etc. One of her sisters as think have said before , apart from being in touch with Edward Heath had a fetish about being related to Mary Queen of Scots ,so if the Black Douglas had anything to do with such may just be part of a tangled web in someone’s mind . In other words I don’t have a clue. My aunt in question had had a very upsetting life and been traumatised earlier and was never 100% There. Cheers JS
    R575129

12. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16... Des I was sitting postulating the other day ( only put these words in so Cappy has to get the dictionary out ) thinking back to as kid how many times I was told to pull my socks up. I think there was a post some time ago on here about sayings and was going to put on there if wasn"t already. Too hard to find so may fit in here. This saying may of originated in Scotland and may of been in reference to pulling your socks up your Dirk is showing. Notice I have spelt Dirk correctly not as some might do. So shows what a good Council Education I had and not by men with brown Habits and tonsures , and female penguins who never showed their legs. A good British education where you learned the Alphabet by the time you were 15, and ready to face the world head on. See Victoria is in strife again with the Covus , waiting for John in Ozs assessment of the situation . Cheers JS
    John, see my reply in Covid thread to see where we are now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast