Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How old are you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How old are you

We can really call you one of the old timers now fouro. Sounds better than sun dial or egg timer. Stay well . JS
    R575129

2. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

A Tin Bath In Front Of The Fire

When I was young we'd no mod cons
    but mom was cheerful, sang us songs
    and thanks to her we bloomed and thrived
    as she made sure we weren't deprived.

We had no bathroom, just a sink
    mom washed us there, we didn't stink,
    just once a week we had a bath
    we used a tin tub by the hearth.

Mom placed this tub before the fire
    in our back room, made her perspire,
    with no hot water on demand
    she had to carry it by hand.

In the kitchen was a 'copper'
    this was used to heat the water
    which our poor mother had to haul
    in buckets till the tub was full.

Older sisters in together
    one at one end, one the other
    then me - the smallest - last one in
    mom washed our hair and scrubbed our skin.

We had some fun in that tin bath
    we'd splash around and have a laugh
    our mother made it all such fun,
    we sure were clean when she was done.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could consider myself lucky, born in a brand new village, built for workers at the local tin and steel works in the early 20s, every house had three bedrooms a lounge and kitchen with a pantry, a bathroom with the hot water from a a tank behind the fire, outside toilet and coal shed. My sister told me that when I was born in 1932 {At Home} I could fit into a pint jug, now I'm a strapping 5ft 10inches.
    Although in the country, the Village was bombed and machine gunned but only about five houses were damaged a couple injured, one blot on the landscape was the school I went was a waste of space.
    Des

Late birthday wishes Fouro
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

6. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was born in january 1938 our telephone was down the road in a big red box.our playground was the freedom to go anywhere mainly the bombed dumps.we had just the one cold water tap in the scullery and the toilet was at the end of the garden.it froze up in the winter.we had very little material possessions but we did have our freedom.i was born in southampton by the docks.our air raid shelter was under the terminus terrace railway bridge.used to carry a gas mask with us for a little while.4 ounces of sweets a week ration books.real community spirit people had very little but they all looked after each other.now i have my own bathroom and shower and indoor toilet.luxury.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Life was so much simpler then you either got fed or not.
    We made what we could of what was there, and we never complained about it.
    That was how life was back then, tough but memorable.

Now they complain if Fakbook goes off line, I just hope we never ever have another bad war this lot would not make it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

If we have another bad war none of us will make it.

Just a thought. Who do we pensioners think are keeping the lights on, keeping the country fed, keeping us healthy, educating our children and grand children. Why do so many have a downer on young people.
    All the way through our growing up where we model citizens? No one here was ever a Teddy boy, drank to much or got into a bit of bother? At the end of the day most of us probably turned out okay. A few of the more senior members actually fought in the second world war or if in the MN were targets in the 2nd world war. Most of us thankfully have lived in a period of relative peace and hopefully will continue to do so.
    Just remember we are a generation who got paid to explore the world as we had the opportunity to sail the 7 seas. That opportunity is not there any longer for todays young people. Meaningful job opportunities are not as readily available as they were in our younger days. I am talking about real jobs not flipping burgers or working in a nail bar, working in a warehouse on a zero hours contract. In our day if you had an apprenticeship more than likely you had to sign indentures indentures.jpg. So how about giving the youth a bit of credit. They are not all a waste of space, if your kids are or grand kids, well that is down to you for failing them.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 26th April 2021 at 09:19 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We will always need feet on the ground in a war situation, but the main initial action will be controlled by computer skills which the young have in abundance, we live in different times, and the young are being recruited into the Services because of their computer skills. A major conflict will see a whole new scenario, but the countries with the largest manpower, as opposed to skills, will still probably prevail unless they are wiped out in the initial stages, which will probably be the second object of the exercise after the initial neutralising of offensive weaponary. I think the major players are too sensible to use nuclear weapons, but alas there are so may minor States now that have access to such weapons who may be the spark that lights the tinder box, because their mentality leads them to believe that by killing certain sections of humanity they are secured a place in paradise, or are indoctrinated from kindergarden that their esteemed leader can do no wrong and will follow him to self destruction.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

38 Lewis, i have posted many times, we are the lucky generation, jobs were plentiful, don't like the one you were in, pack it in and get another the next day. As you say we travelled the world on pay, a world that no longer exists, and most of us have a good pension, something that is fast disappearing, even a job with a future, for todays youngsters, so i count my blessings on a regular basis, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Lewis I agree with much of your comment.
    But we now live in the WOKE world where political correctness has more power than the gov at times.
    If war was to break out then here in Oz there would be more marches on why we should not go rather than those who would do so.

Many of the younger generation see the world in a far different way to the way we did, they think in a different manner to us.
    Not all, but enough to make so much noise about it, and of course there would be 'rent a mob' keeping them going.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

John , not a lot has changed since time began. People have always protested down through the ages. You had Luddites, Suffragettes, Poll tax protests & Riots. This new fashionable word / term WOKE. I bet a lot of the older generation do not even know what it means. What is so wrong protesting about and being alert to injustice in society, especially racism?

But yes I agree sometimes things do get stupid.
    this is from a university in Australia

Australian National University in Canberra
    Academics from nation's top university tell staff to call mothers the 'gestational parent' and fathers the 'non-birthing parent' - and there is even a gender-neutral term for breastfeeding

So looks as if MUM & DAD are out. Breastfeeding what are they wanting to call that, oh, Chestfeeding, well sorry but baby can suck all day from the non-birthing parent but try as baby might it is still going to go hungry. 'Mother's milk' was also said to be replaced with 'human or parent milk'. sorry but I have never heard of man that could lactate yet.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 27th April 2021 at 10:18 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast