Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Football

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Football

Called the English Premier League but try to find any English content!

We get a fair bit in TV here in Oz and very often spot the white man.
    But then again there ae so many permanently tanned in UK it is hard to know.

Same thin here in Oz with our footy, way over the top payments to prima donas.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am so glad that I am NOT a football fan.
    when I see full grown men jumping up and down screaming.like they were on TV News yesterday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I am so glad that I am NOT a football fan.
    when I see full grown men jumping up and down screaming.like they were on TV News yesterday
    Hi Brian having read your previous post on this thread about your own experiences of watching a live football game I can understand why your enthusiasm for the game is very low, for millions of others including myself it is the exact opposite. Some people will never understand the barmy army who follow English cricket I do as I am one of them. May be I am just nuts, but there are a lot worse 'nutters' than me. Have you ever watched professional darts on T.V. and the circus that are the fans who follow that. It does nothing for me but if they enjoy it so what. George Orwell wrote a short story called 'The Sporting Spirit' in 1945 which was shortly after Dynamo Moscow football team had played several British teams. His take in the article was that it was like 'War without the shooting' The article is easy to download and well worth reading His thoughts on the subject.

5. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Called the English Premier League but try to find any English content!

We get a fair bit in TV here in Oz and very often spot the white man.
    But then again there ae so many permanently tanned in UK it is hard to know.

Same thin here in Oz with our footy, way over the top payments to prima donas.
    Hi John, There are plenty of English content in the games over here including people of African origin who consider themselves as English as their fellow team mates, It is probably a truer reflection of the ethnic content of the citizens who now make up the population of this country. I agree that a lot of players are over payed but if they can get that sort of money they would be foolish not to take it. Some bankers and Business tycoons are extremely well rewarded for doing less. prima donnas seem to have crept into most sports especially in recent years and I would love to see that part of the game stamped out. Unfortunately the individuals responsible for such behaviour appear to feel no shame for their actions even when hi-lighted on T.V. or in the press ,and the various authorities responsible for running the game continuously ignore it.

7. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John W.
    Thanks for the reply
    No I never watch any kind of sport event
    I instantly change channels if one turns up on TV.,

My nephew played FA Football and Centre Forward for England in the 70s, PAUL MARINER
    Could have had good seating tickets for all the best matches, Never once saw him play.

I guess it is a left over from the Disaster and all those dead bodies and they carried on playing with dead people lying on the pitch.
    Was kicking a ball more important than dead people ????
    I was ten years and nine months old at the time
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 22nd April 2021 at 11:57 AM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    John football fans are a fickle lot . How do you feel about the decision that was over turned by some court in Europe after UEFA ruled that Man City had yet again infringed FFP rules, money talk. Concerning Leicester owners what a tragedy when Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was killed. My beef about foreign owners stems from my club, Liverpool's first experience of foreign ownership when Americans Hicks & Gillet nearly put what was a profitable club in 2010 nearly put LFC into administration, they asset stripped the club, we became a selling club just to cover interest payments on bank loans.
    Manchester Utd owners the Glazer family have still to pay for the club yet, they have paid themselves dividends of over £500 million but yet Man Utd have debts of over £510 million as of last year I believe.
    Foreign players are also another problem in the English game. They should go back to the rule when no more than 3 foreign nationals be allowed to play in the starting 11. Foreign plays are stifling the development of home grown talent which has the knock on effect that the national teams are lacking in quality.
    UEFA & FIFA are also two organisations that should be investigated they would appear to be corrupt bodies, Qatar have bought the 2022 world cup why on earth has a footballing competition like the world cup be held in a nation like Qatar. From a fans point of view it is a joke.
    My thoughts about the the FFP decisions were that the court rulings not just in that case but also previous cases against English clubs were biased. I am not condoning the misdeeds of Man City but the same things had been happening at Barcelona ,Real Madrid and even Monaco for years and more recently Paris St. Germaine. The Italian league also were never scrutinised with the intensity of the Premiership sides. It is not just my opinion but a lot of others as well, the premiership here is envied for its following around the World and the vast wealth that it brings into the game. Anything that can change the football model that this popularity and wealth was built on and that can divert the benefits to European sides those clubs will do and they use their influence across the governing bodies of FIFA and EUFA and selected courts to do so. The recent Super League furore this week was the most recent manifestation of such . The so called English big six had just as much to lose as gain from such an Idea . Hence the about turn from all six when they realised the down side of the consequences and not just the profit side. The Spanish and Italian leagues who had nothing to lose compared with the English sides saw only huge financial gains. they are running out of revenue streams for their own sides with falling attendances and lower T.V. revenues to stay at the top of the football pyramid they need more money.
    As far as the financial shenanigans that have happened in the past and will continue into the future at both your club (Liverpool) and Manchester United, all I can say on the subject is that the fans of both clubs deserve better, morally it is wrong BUT legally they are doing nothing wrong. There is not a fan in the country who would not wish for a multi billionaire to take over the running of there club and there is probably not a multi billionaire in the world who has not earned their riches without doing some very dubious business deals. Whether you get an altruistic Thai owner like Leicester or a greedy asset stripper like the glazer family appears to be pot luck and you will not know which is which until it is probably to late to do anything about it. Other clubs and fans have not fared any better with new British ownership like Newcastle are left to scratch their heads and wonder What Happened are we better or worse off ?? When Roman Abramovich Bought Chelsea He was not made aware of a poison pill called the Chelsea Pitch Owners PLC . The CPO was originally made up of about 12000 old school football fans including myself and brother who purchased a share each in the group (Actually it was the perfect Xmas gift from my parents) Which at the time cost £100 We own the name of the club and certain assets including the pitch and turnstiles This has stopped the new owner being able to change the name of the club, move the club to elsewhere in London and at the same time knock the stadium down and build more unaffordable luxury housing with vast profits. In effect Roman can do what He wishes with OUR club but He can not even walk his dog on OUR pitch without OUR consent.
    I agree with the 3 home grown players rule alas, that all changed with the competition in business laws under the EEC. We are out of the EEC but all the big European sides are still in. so have to abide by those laws which by implementing the rule would be the same as shooting yourself in the foot. I agree with your thoughts on corruption and the future venue for the world cup but have no idea what fans in general and U.K. fans in particular can do about it. Enjoy your football and good luck to Leicester in the F.A. cup I personally think that Chelsea will win the game but then again I might be just a little bit biased. Cheers J.W.

11. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Thanks for your post John very informative. £100 and an Oligarch has to ask permission to walk on your pitch, love it.
    From the point of view and foreign owners at least Abramovich is a regular at games. If we see John Henry once a year we are honoured.
    Just looked at the cost of season tickets , why are Spurs and Arsenal so expensive, especially seeing as they have won nothing for years.
    Agree with comment reference the way UEFA seem to favour European clubs over English clubs. As you say revenues are dropping in EU countries the Spanish big 2 are bankrupt as are the Italian clubs. Watching especially Italian league games sends me to sleep.
    An injustice handed out to English clubs by UEFA was the banning of all English clubs after Heysel. I will make no attempt to defend what happened but no surprise that it did when you consider the problems at the 1984 final against Roma. Also the venue was known to be dangerous and falling to bits. Both clubs asked for a venue change as they voiced concerns about the condition of the stadium UEFA did not cover themselves in glory over that debacle.
    A club I believed that suffered badly by the European ban was Everton FC . They had a fantastic team and squad and I reckon had the quality to win a European cup. Also I believe UEFA wanted English clubs out of European competitions as English clubs had broke the dominance of the Italian & Spanish clubs. Liverpool 4 Notts Forest 2 & Aston Villa 1

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My brother in law is a mad Arsenal fanatic and agrees, why is the cost of membership so high along with entry prices.

But to be a fanatical follower of any sport is fine as long as you do no harm to others while taking part in that.
    We all have some love of a particular sport, mine is cricket and love to see the 'Barmy army' loved by all here as they add character to the game.

It is a good that such fanatics are not members of any religious group, there ae already too many of them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, john walker, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have always loved Sports ( Not All though) but Football has been one of my Passions over the Years, nowdays not so fanatic as i used to be .
    Remember screaming at the Top of our Voices when watching a Game , the my Team was Leicester City, later changed to Liverpool.
    It is in the Blood when it gets to you and you cannot help but to react like many many do .
    But as age catches up ,so does the Fanatic side , and all calms down to a slow pace! LOL
    Nowdays i really still do enjoy watching a match of Football, when there are two good Teams playing, as well as NRL here in Aussie, that i think is one great game too!
    Other than that i watch a lot of Snooker when available, Tennis when the Big Matches are on, and of course last but not least is my real passion! Motor Racing. V8 First and foremost, then Formula 1 and the Motor Cycle Racing .
    Must find time though, as i have a busy time trying to do all at once! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4