Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Football

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Football

At 11pm tonight all English PL clubs have withdrawn from the European Super League. Hopefully that is the end of this money grabbing scheme. Now to get the foreign owners out of English football.

Doc your team Leicester are still doing well, they are playing in the FA cup final on the 15th of May against Chelsea. Should be a great game and I believe Leicester have the quality to win that game. Trust me after the debacle of the attempted break away European Super league which Chelsea were a part of there is not a football supporter in the land that will NOT be wishing for a Leicester City win. Even here in Carnlough 100% will be rooting for Leicester as Manager Brendan Rodgers comes from the village. His cousin is my postman , he is a dead ringer for Brendan lol.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lewis i will hopefully be able to watch the FA Cup Final like each Year, its one Match that has got it all, fantastic Atmosphere! Been to two such myself Years ago and it was the Highlights of my Years in the UK. Wembley such a great Venue !

Go Leicester!!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to our news here in Oz it was the power of the fans that brought a stop to all of this.
    Showed the fans outside Chelsea stopping the team bus from leaving.

Is this the end of it?

Somehow doubt it, money at this level corrupts totally and soccer like most professional game sis now a business with the players nothing more than employees and overpaid at that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

The game will always change and competitions within the game will evolve. UEFA & FIFA are every bit as bad as those trying to organise the ESL, bribery and corruption a regular occurrence. The world cup have been bought and paid for by backhanders. Russia 2018 and 2022 to be held in that well known footballing nation Qatar it is a joke.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very pleased this appears to be over with all six English clubs pulling out of the deal, although I read this morning they could be hit with huge fines for breaking a legally binding contract. Football belongs to the fans and supporters but Sky sports and pay for view have taken the game away from them, ticket prices too high for the average family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it is in the hands of each supporter who are getting rooked paying over the top .......stop support of one only club in the premier div and the power will come to the supporters again ...stopping the ridicouous sums being paid to the prima donnas...which stop many families from going in as a family because of the cuckooo money reqired.....R 683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is to much money in the wrong hands in football.
    Last year at the height of the pandemic clubs were urging the Government for financial support.
    Now, that excellent failure of a manager Jose Morinho (sacked three times from Premier league clubs, Chelsea, M. U. and Spurs) is walking away with a reported £16m pay off, not bad if you can get it. And there is no money in footie?
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    There is to much money in the wrong hands in football.
    Last year at the height of the pandemic clubs were urging the Government for financial support.
    Now, that excellent failure of a manager Jose Morinho (sacked three times from Premier league clubs, Chelsea, M. U. and Spurs) is walking away with a reported £16m pay off, not bad if you can get it. And there is no money in footie?
    Vic
    nice one Vic, same thought went through my mind. Back in the 70s I had an argument with my brother in law who is an ardent Newcastle fan, he was very upset about me saying the then directors (no different from now) were only in it for the money, his stance was that they did it out of love for the club ffs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis #21 Does getting all the foreign owners out of English football include the Thai family who own Leicester ?? I think that if you were to ask Leicester supporters their thoughts on the subject they will probably tell you that the Thais are the best thing to happen to the club in an awful long time. Without their money and support the club would not be in the position they are in now. I am and have been a Chelsea supporter for well over 60 years I have been going to games since I was 7. I have had season tickets to the club for more years than I can remember, which I gave up about 10 years ago. This was not for financial reasons but decided that it was more comfortable watching the game in a local working mans club on the Kings road that I am a member and trustee of, with like minded company and a decent pint and central heating. I have seen Chelsea F.C. Bankrupt (At least on Paper) twice in my lifetime the first time when the Mears family (Viscount Chelsea) sold the club to Marler estates and then again when Ken Bates who took it over from Marler Estates ,had run out off money with debts of well over £120 million and sold it to Roman Abramovich. If the club collapsed into a heap tomorrow for whatever reasons I would still support them. I have been to games when there were barely 6000 people there in the 60's 70's and 80's knowing that our chances of winning were about zero but I would still go. Even with the very real threat of violence from football hooligans at the time I would still go. When I used to return to this country for leave The one thing that I used to look forward to was watching a good match with my grandad, dad and brother having a few pints before and after the game was an added bonus. I have watched with utter amazement the difference in the club both on and off the pitch since the Foreign owner poured money into Chelsea and the continuous winning of football trophies. I live right next door to the club in sheltered housing for ex veterans who have received massive amounts of money (The last donation was £1million) from Chelsea F.C. So I for one and the majority of local fans see (With the exception of Fulham F.C. supporters) nothing wrong with foreign ownership of OUR club. At the end of the day I have no say as to who owns the club, who manages the club or who plays for the club but I along with tens of thousands of others will still support the side because it is and will continue to be a great part of my past and future.
    Last edited by john walker; 21st April 2021 at 12:33 PM.

Lewis McColl Guest

John football fans are a fickle lot . How do you feel about the decision that was over turned by some court in Europe after UEFA ruled that Man City had yet again infringed FFP rules, money talk. Concerning Leicester owners what a tragedy when Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was killed. My beef about foreign owners stems from my club, Liverpool's first experience of foreign ownership when Americans Hicks & Gillet nearly put what was a profitable club in 2010 nearly put LFC into administration, they asset stripped the club, we became a selling club just to cover interest payments on bank loans.
    Manchester Utd owners the Glazer family have still to pay for the club yet, they have paid themselves dividends of over £500 million but yet Man Utd have debts of over £510 million as of last year I believe.
    Foreign players are also another problem in the English game. They should go back to the rule when no more than 3 foreign nationals be allowed to play in the starting 11. Foreign plays are stifling the development of home grown talent which has the knock on effect that the national teams are lacking in quality.
    UEFA & FIFA are also two organisations that should be investigated they would appear to be corrupt bodies, Qatar have bought the 2022 world cup why on earth has a footballing competition like the world cup be held in a nation like Qatar. From a fans point of view it is a joke.

14. Likes Doc Vernon, john walker, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast