Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All gassed up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: All gassed up.

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Here in Oz it is a bit different as it is illegal to discriminate on grounds of age.
    It is here also John, but it doesn't stop some companies, insurance, competition (yup!) etc saying that they will not insure anyone of xx or even give a quote, competition companies will not accept entries of people over xx as they have no future retail value.

I did complain to the Government but apparently there are exceptions to the rule where-in it is not illegal for certain organisations to be exempt from the rule, so why have the bluddy rule

Lewis McColl Guest

#12 I have just exchanged my French EU driving licence for a UK driving licence. I should have kept the French one , there is no age restrictions on that one. All you had to do was a medical every 5 years, looking at some of those on French roads dead people can pass the medical. As I am now 72 I have to apply for a new one on the 25th Feb 2024. Concerning getting insurance cover when they start to inflate the premium I will just get the wife to become the principal driver on the policy as she is a long way off the big 70 yet and become a named driver.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't think there is a limit to age on the UK one Lewis, a self answering application every 4 years. or is it 3 years ?, kt
    R689823

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to this we see the car the opposition is recomending as the one to reduce tax on is the Nissan Leaf.
    Great if you only want to get to the local shop, but somehow a vehicle of that size, one passenger and two brief cases will not cut it here.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm 85 and bought an MG ZS 2 years ago. Brand new 3 cylinder suv type. Cheap and goes well. Wife says I drive too fast especially around bends, so have to be a bit more cautious these days.
    Last few vehicls have bee suv type as find getting in and out of todays low slung saloons a bit difficult.
    My first car was an SS11, the original Jaguar. It was fire engine red with cream top, and had a straight through muffler with a valve lifter type lever on passengers side which closed a baffLe in muffler if stopped by rozzers. Main problem was that the exhaust tended to come away from the manifold, especially when I double de-clutched at the top of a hill near home. Sounded like a dozen Fordsons in a tro, and passengers legs got covered in flame.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Double de-clutch, now there's a blast from the past, wonder if our reactions would be quick enough now to do it.

9. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16. Colin did you have to sit a test at 85 , I’m just a kick in the ass off it. I have sold my car regardless as think at my age we can manage with one , that maybe forced if don’t pass the test. The idea was to buy a new car to share with the wife ,and should see us out .maybe she will be the sole driver , she won’t have to sit any tests for another 4 years yet. Cheers JS
    R575129

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a test, just doctors and opticians certificate each year. Need car to driver wife to chemo each week.

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2