Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol, love it or hate it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alcohol, love it or hate it?

Keith if we were young again and had the knowledge we have now, we would probably have led very dull lives, it was only through not knowing the consequences we did what we did, I would never have scaled the side of a building and swopped over the Russian and American flags, I used to love vertical challenges, naturally I blame my shipmates, who instead of saying, don't do that, said bet you can't climb that!:

2. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like you've had quite the journey with alcohol, from youthful adventures to your experiences at sea and beyond. It's fascinating how our relationship with alcohol can change over time. Many people have stories about their experiences with it, both good and challenging.
    It's great to hear that you've found a comfortable balance in your retirement, enjoying a drink occasionally without any excess. Everyone's relationship with alcohol is unique, and it's important to find what works best for you.
    For those who may be struggling with alcohol-related issues or looking for more information, checking out resources like Abbeycare addiction help clinic could be a valuable step.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 It’s when alcohol becomes a crutch that it becomes non sociable. We are all built different and have different levels of perseverance if you want to call it that. I have sailed with ex alcoholics if you can say there is such a thing , and they may of been doctors themselves . They all have this insistence to preach the gospel to desist from any sort of alcohol , there is non so pure as the purified . Alcoholism is an illness and usually or commonly starts with lack of self confidence. I myself have been that depressed at one time that I tried to drown my sorrows in drink , but physically it wouldn’t work and never has .My physical makeup just rejects it before I cross that border to be an incoherent piece of humanity. However I don’t look down on such and say there but for the grace of God go I. They do need help and understanding and not mockery. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I come from a coal mining area in n e england which had numerous pubs and social clubs.
    One church which had a notice board never changed this particular notice.

"you cannot drown your sorrows in drink--they always float "

still applicable today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

free the weed=less trouble fellas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15 Apart from the physiological damage induced by the strong skunk weed , which is known to distort one’s inhibitions and lead some to acts of violence.
    I have never used weed just stuck to Alcohol it did enough damage when in my Cups. But have lost my tolerance to Hangovers the older I get . (Plus my wife doesn’t like me to get Pi**sed) Her reaction is worse than a Hangover ,it’s like being in the deep freeze.
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading through this post again I realized that I haven't seen any posts from Keith lately, anyone heard from him?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I took my first drink at the tender age of 8, liked it and never stopped.
    Still a professional one with at least two a day, but it never took my life over as it did with some.

Recently in hospital the doc said we should all have two alcohol free days a week.
    So have one at 1800 hours and no more until 1800 hours the next day, do that twice a week now so get my two free days.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 The same vicar who put up that notice Donald had as much chance of being an alcoholic as those he was preaching to. Being a churchman did not make him immune. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like drinking, I like that feeling it give's me, providing I don't get ratarsed. I've never been an alcoholic, but there are times when I have to make an effort not to pour a large one, or even a little one. I usually have some Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and the rest of the week off it, but temptation often creeps in on a night off. I mostly resist, but sometimes, temptation wins.
    I went out to a club with friends once, drinking non alcoholic beer due to me driving, I sat there getting just as p***ed as they were, I even questioned the bar staff. Only when I got outside did I realise it was some kind of psycho thing, and my head cleared. I've experienced that feeling several times since.

After reading this, maybe I do have a problem?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast