Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Infrastrata

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Infrastrata

I just wonder where we are going to generate all this electric from ?, time we have all electric cars, all homes heated by electric etc. We are told that when the half time is blown for the FA cup, every one rushes to put the kettle on, and creates a surge that could cause problems, so the two do not tie in.We are starting to be supplied with electric from France we are told now, maybe its just me, but non of this makes much sense . Surely we are going to build in more power stations, powered by what ?, nuclear power ?
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ....sorry about your son in law ivan ....but there is still plenty work for good tree surgeons ....loads in north yorkshire.......regards cappy
    No need to feel sorry Cappy, plenty of work in London, and he takes on jobs that others will not look at, but his insurance is high, but working over glass buildings a lot of so-called tree surgeons won't look at pays him well and of course his log supply is free. You'd be surprised how many wood burning stoves there are in London/Greater London which when you are there is a city of trees, the old saying of you can't see the wood because of the trees, certainly holds true, some parts you wouldn't know you are in a city.

I agree with Vic and others, if you get rid of alternative sources of power, where are you getting the sole electric source from, apart from leaving yourself vulnerable to all kinds of hackers to destroy infrastructure, and if that happens we will become a nation of bonfire builders.

3. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Keith Tindell, vic mcclymont, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I just wonder where we are going to generate all this electric from ?, time we have all electric cars, all homes heated by electric etc. We are told that when the half time is blown for the FA cup, every one rushes to put the kettle on, and creates a surge that could cause problems, so the two do not tie in.We are starting to be supplied with electric from France we are told now, maybe its just me, but non of this makes much sense . Surely we are going to build in more power stations, powered by what ?, nuclear power ?
    well keith i guess them windy millers round the coast .....onthe hills ...in the dales ....and bothsides of the motor ways ..that are growing like mushrooms will contribute ..but whether they will fill the need i dont know ....they are looking for guys on teeside to go out to sea to service them ....come to think of it when we went to sea ....we didnt half service them ...no colour bar or racial distinctions.....oh happy day ..lol....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ref 12, I met a guy while on holiday who was a chimney sweep in London, i was amazed when he told me there were hundreds and hundreds of woodburners in London. Apparently you have to have the chimney swept annually , good business for him. if it catches fire and you cannot produce the certificate, incurs a fine he told me by the Fire service. Certainly does not happen out in the sticks, i have had occasions to attend the same house on several occasions and no charge by the council
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

twenty five quid a year....to clean chimney .....local sweep ....cappy

7. Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

remember from 2019, Michael Gove announced open fire fuels and the sale of some log burners will be banned as part of plans to tackle air pollution that “shortens lives”. The measures form part of the government’s Clean Air Strategy, which plans to ensure only the cleanest stoves are available for sale by 2022.

Lewis McColl Guest

The smell of burning Peat or Turf is nice when it is on the wind and coming from afar. But when you live in a small village and there is no wind about, especially if you have a lung condition and cannot go over the door because it makes you gasp for breath !!!! not good.
    The soot you see on your car, especially these days because the car has not been used in a month is shocking.
    I cannot imagine what the air quality is in big cities is like London.

We had a wood burner in France , loved it but the wood you burnt in it was all Kiln Dried, not cheap to buy. I assume the ban on wood burners in the UK will be the banning of wet wood, but I would assume Kiln dried wood will still be allowed.
    I always thought that the tree farming was a good thing for the planet. I do not mean deforestation like they are doing in the Amazon rain forests or the far east.
    As a few did here before Covid, take the odd cruise, who has been down the Straits of Malacca? The stench of wood smoke from burning and deforestation is sickening. God knows what that does to your health. Depending on wind direction that stench can stay with you for days after passing Singapore heading east. Apparently this is being done to clear land for agriculture, Palm oil for to make Bio Fuels. Humans really are bastards. All this for a few cheap gallons of Bio Fuel.oran.jpg

By planting more than a half trillion trees, the authors say, we could capture about 205 gigatons of carbon (a gigaton is 1 billion metric tons), reducing atmospheric carbon by about 25 percent. That’s enough to negate about 20 years of human-produced carbon emissions at the current rate, or about half of all carbon emitted by humans since 1960.

Air pollution causes an estimated 9,500 early deaths a year in London and 40,000 across Britain.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 17th February 2021 at 11:16 AM.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Nation of bonfire builders. Well if we need any tips I am sure some of the soft eejits that constructed this could give advice.bon fire.jpg after all they maintain it is part of their CULTURE. Last year the PSNI had to protect council workers who stepped in to remove nearly 2000 tyres from one such bon fire, clean air act, not here for the 12th of July.

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problems at the moment in parts of USA, wind turbines and solar panels not doing so well due to all the snow.

Peat in the Republic now is only sold as bricketts, no more raw Peat burns very clean and hot.
    All wood here in Oz used on wood burners, we have one, is well dried and clean.

Bush fires, of which we have more than enough, do not add to carbon in the atmosphere according to our scientists here.
    They say quite rightly it is a natural process, not man made, and is part of the natural cycle of nature.

It has also been found that the power system has a major problem here in Oz and in any other country where there are solar panels.
    The system was designed to put out power but with excess from households going back into the system it cannot cope.

For some time there was a 66cents per kwh paid to customers who put excess power back into the grid.
    This made it very good for the consumer, reduced accounts by as much as 80%.
    But then the companies wee told by the gov that they would no longer subsidize this and the system was in serious situation as too much was going back into it.

So now it is only 12cents per kwh and the gov has cut back by over 75% the number of systems they will subsidize.

At one time a $3600 system would only cost you about $1200 to put in, now you pay the full price.

As to power for electric vehicles, firstly there has to be points to gain power, so far only a handful here in Victoria so you have to have a special unit fitted at home, not cheap by all accounts.

Roll on Hydrogen vehicles.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes cappy liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sorry, just wondered as to: Peat in the Republic now is only sold as bricketts.

Which Republic ?

K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast