Thread: Coke anyone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coke anyone

The push for clean power continues and with Joe in the White House it may gain momentum, who knows, or cares for that matter.

This morning the usual London, English man, corespondent on our radio with the daily update from UK.

A new coal mine is to be established in the Lake District to produce Coking Coal needed for the manufacturing of steel. It will stretch out from the main land well under the Irish sea and employ about 500 people.

Greta Thunderburg is not happy, saying this will encourage Russia and China to continue using coal.
    Well in my opinion they will do as they please anyway.
    Steel cannot be made without the heat currently generated from coal and the carbon content is also required to turn Iron Ore into Steel.

Greta Blunderbus is still not happy about this saying it can be made using renewable power.
    Windmills may have been great all those years ago to produce flour from grain, but to make steel?

There is nothing wrong with Wind and solar power but both need steel in their production a point Greta Blunderburg fails to see.
    Electric vehicles use almost ten times as much Copper as conventional ones and the batteries, just like a combustion engine, have a limited shelf life. They must then be decommissioned and new ones used. After every recharge the potential life drops by about 1 percent.

It has been established by a group of experts in the field that it will take 80,000 miles of driving before an Electric vehicle becomes at zero emissions level.

There is currently an experiment taking place to see if Hydrogen can be used in place of coal to make Steel, but it is only in it's infancy.
    Like all other inventions over the generations new methods in time will come about, but not quick enough for our Greta.

So in the mean time we will continue with what we have, I burn wood in the winter in a big log burner, latest figures show that such burning produces the lowest level of emissions of any form of heating.
    Wonder if Great knows that, she should do as in Norway and some other Scandinavian countries it is use in abundance for heating.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coke anyone

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

So in the mean time we will continue with what we have, I burn wood in the winter in a big log burner, latest figures show that such burning produces the lowest level of emissions of any form of heating.
    London and Greater London are banning (2023)the use of wood burning stoves stating that they are the most polluting form of heating, well I suppose they must be compared to gas and electric. This pizzes off my son-in-law as he is a tree surgeon and has an unlimited supply of logs. There is a move afoot in the UK to ban gas as a power source in the UK by 2025. As soon as you ban an alternative source of anything then you are treading on dangerous ground and making your country vulnerable to all sorts of misadventures both natural and contrived.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coke anyone

Well John I noticed the article on this a few days ago. It started with steam preservation railways in the UK saying they will run out of coal if a source is not found. An application for a opencast mine at Dewley Hill nr. Newcastle was rejected for environmental reasons. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-55544616

The application for a coking coal mine was slipped under the radar. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-54393345