Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Passwords/computer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Passwords/computer

As I have recently been traumatised by losing my password for an Apple IPad let me say that I must congratulate Apple on their security as regards to the layman , who only uses it for correspondence as is a very useful media implement. However the real villain or even a non villain more adaptable to computers in general would be able to hack in, if and when felt like it. Today even government departments are being hacked. Which makes me wonder why banks who supposedly are loosing millions every year due to these same criminal types , are trying to get a cashless society.
    Myself I will have nothing to do with internet banking , and try to use cash all the time, even though all the retailers would rather have a credit card, and the present non computer virus is giving them that edge to see the cashless society move forward. When we finally reach Niverna with a robotic society our war machines will be getting hacked and turned on their operatives . We live today in a world going to Hell on a hand cart. I preferred the old society where a handshake was your word and a smiling face over the bar counter with a proffered fiver , was the norm . A plasitic society for everything else , the only place it is barred is in the wrong receptacle when being dumped , especially the oceans of the world. As for computers they should be used by Joe Bloggs as a community action device to save on the usage of our trees and the paper they produce. However on their initial use they were supposed to do away with paperwork, how wrong can one be? Paperwork has increased on their advent into our society . Let me finally say any code can be cracked 2 examples are 1. The De Vinci code a made up Hollywood story and 2. The enigma code a factual one of WW2. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th November 2020 at 10:11 PM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Passwords/computer

Would agree with what you say here JS and i too try and do cash payments where i can however in Todays World as you say its at times difficult.
    Things like Car Insurances and the Likes, it is far easier for most i feel to use the Internet Banking System, but of course one can still go to the Local Post Off ice and pay cash with the Bill.

But as i do use Online Banking and have done for a long time now, i do feel that they do try their best to keep accounts online Secure as can be. Yes good Hackers may well still be able to get in, but these days with so much Security and Encryption it is getting more difficult for them as well.

Also one that does Online Banking should change their Password or Pin Numbers often this will help keep the account safe! Well as sage as possible anyway.

But the old System was the best ,and all this new stuff is just taking Jobs away as well. Money Grabbers i call it!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently a survey shows that the favourite password word is 'password' as so many people said they were no good at remembering thinks, another one was '12340000'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think thats half the trouble these days , People not using strong passwords making it easy target to Hcak in .
    Always use a strong one with Letter, Numbers and other funny astericks etc!

Like say This #$54istoo^*&4All messed up ^543

Cheers

Now wonder if that could be someones ????? LOL

Or how about this one you will never forget!

Forgetmenot LOL
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th November 2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our bank which we have been with since it was a Building Society over sixty years closed their branch in Cooma two years ago, we now have to go to Canberra to bank, although we don't have to do any banking it's just the pension put in there, we use a debit card, but now with no interest, we are thinking of changing banks to one that is domiciled in Cooma.
    I believe in a cashless society where you can go into a shop and take anything you want, eat a meal in a restaurant and walk out, jump on a train and just ride.
    Sorry Just Dreaming again .
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That may stop the conventional low life tea leaf, but not the more sophisticated Dick head looking for bigger spoils. Whatever way you look at it, once again it is the Joe Bloggs of this world who shoulder the inconsiderate demands of big congclomerates and big banking interests. You may lose your life savings through some articulate electronic wizard on computers. You try and get it back. The general public as a whole demand computers as their right as have been programmed to listen to all the garbage spurned out by different products. When advertising first came out on TV how many of us said it wouldnt last, once again how wrong we were . We are all soft touches . Advertising is one of the most profitable businesses going today. Losing your password for literally to use a toy, is today a cardinal offence punishable by shutting off ones complaints . There are no complaints department like there used to be in big stores.JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go to any travel agent now, I never sue them do all on line, and they will tell you they do not handle cash, must pay by card.
    Then for that wonderful system you gat charged a handling fee.

Handling fees are all well and good, but it depends on who is doing the handling.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

same here des banks closing ie one in thirsk closes ...they say go to ripon ....next ripon closes ,,,go to northallerton......but happily there are cash points around ...and the bank has not charged me for keeping my capital in there YET ....plus i refuse to take any of there accounts which pay 0.0001 in interest...plus i find never enough staff and with lockdown the bleddy queue is down the road cappy

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Popped into a pub lunchtime yesterday, asked for the wi-fi password,
    was told a pint of lager, went for it, paid and decided on another.

Also asked a bar maid for the wi-fi code:

a pint of lager, all in small case.

K.

12. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    same here des banks closing ie one in thirsk closes ...they say go to ripon ....next ripon closes ,,,go to northallerton......but happily there are cash points around ...and the bank has not charged me for keeping my capital in there YET ....plus i refuse to take any of there accounts which pay 0.0001 in interest...plus i find never enough staff and with lockdown the bleddy queue is down the road cappy
    Cappy, you can get a prepaid cash card called Pockit. I t costs £1.99 a month and you transfer cash onto it. Use like a credit card but you cant spend more than whats on the card.
    Also, you cant be scammed for more than what's on the card. Got one for my old aunty, saves her carrying cash and having to fiddle with change. You can monitor the account on your phone.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast