Thread: Propulsion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Propulsion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    How we going to get there?

‘How are we going to get there?’ ‘I suppose it’ll have to be Shanks’s pony.’You young people go everywhere by car these days. When I was young all we had was Shanks’s pony.
    Well Vern, In the mid 1950's at primary school, though it wasn't compulsory swimming lessons were recommended. In my case a Wednesday morning from 9.00am to 9.30am. The pool was situated in another school in the city centre quite some distance away. Went there first thing by bus and we had to return to our school by 10.00am. here's the catch a sweet shop was passed on the way to the bus stop, bus fare 1d bag of sweets 1d . Bag of sweets came first and it was more like the Pony Express as we raced the bus a distance of over a mile with the kids on the bus roaring and shouting at us as we caught up with it and then it pulled away again. we usually made it for 10.00am. I didn't do it every week but a penny to spend was a great temptation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, we have not done a road trip like this for a good few years, though plenty of long weekends with a lot of driving.
    I do not mind the driving, I take it easy, allow the hoons to go ahead and take plenty of stops along the way.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post cards you say Victoria.
    No such luck now the god old ones from the sea side years ago have been declared far too racy for now.
    More bloody political correctness.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Happy Daze, not at all happy with solar, as now downsized to an apartment and cannot install any solar, so paying extra electricity to subsidize those who own their own homes. Same for all those in rental accom, even houses, as land lord will not pay for installation of solar.
    Electric vehicles are another problem. Here on the Gold Coast are many highrise buildings and the installation of power points to charge a car is well in the millions of dollars. Ours is a fairly new building, but before we can even install 1 power point, the whole electrical supply system will have to upgraded at over a million dollars.
    Electric cars are also getting a free ride as the roads are funded by taxes on petrol, so they pay none, just demand someone else installs a point for them to use.
    Will get off my high horse and have a sundowner, though it has been raining here for a week. But then it is the wet season.

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    #3 RR has just announced that they and their consortium will create 6,000 in building the mini nuclear power stations.
    It is envisaged that 22 stations will be built for the UK in brand new factories.
    Good news.
    Vic
    Are the government not in talks with EDF about wasting £20 billion on building a new nuke plant Sizewell C? They are even considering using a French nuclear reactor that the French themselves have given up on. They are even in bed with a Chinese /French consortium at Hinkley B ? How stupid will we be if the UK let's the Chinese anywhere near a Nuclear plant in the UK. It is only a couple of months ago the Chinese ambassador openly threatened on UK tv that the UK will be punished for the decision not to use Huawei 5G systems

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Chinese have pulled out of one of the nuclear new builds.
    Once this pandemic is under control, it will be time to focus on what is the best way forward, regarding power supply.
    Vic

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    The Chinese have pulled out of one of the nuclear new builds.
    Once this pandemic is under control, it will be time to focus on what is the best way forward, regarding power supply.
    Vic
    Thanks Vic , I only mentioned it as I was watching the news the other night. Mini RR stations could be interesting concept. Over here in N Ireland you may recall that H&W had a buyer at the 11th hour to save the yard. This sale all hinges on LNG storage caverns being allowed offshore from Islandmagee, just doing a bit of research on this permission was given in 2012? um!!!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Lewis: Did you see this? I would value your opinion.

Floating 'mini-nukes' could power countries by 2025, says startup: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 17th December 2020 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, incase you missed it, H&W have been bought by Infastrata, who also purchased Appledore.
    H&W have signed a letter of intent to build two ships.
    Vic

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast