Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US Election

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default US Election

By no means am I trying to start a political debate, I am questioning the method of the election.
    In this country (UK) the returned votes are counted in secrecy and only when all votes have been counted in a constituency are the winners announced. All week we have listened to the news, Biden ahead by x, the Trump ahead by y.
    In my humble view this is an undemocratic way of dealing with the votes, only when all votes are counted should the winner be announced, not who is ahead after a few thousand counts.
    To me it makes a mockery of the voting system.
    The system also seems flawed in that over the past 50 or so years there have been legal challenges in certain states regarding the outcome.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: US Election

The results you were reading was the results AFTER the voting poll station closed. No results are released until the voting is closed in the USA. US citizens living or working overseas have the same rules to abide by, though due to the time change they may vote after the polls change in the continental USA. I live in South Carolina. In California the polls closed three hours after mine did due to the time change, I heard no results of what was going in South Carolina until the polls closed in the West Coast...and meaning no disrespects, did you or anybody else in the world. It is a federal offence and punishable by prison if any poll worker divulged information pre. the closing of the US polls. Also, the counting of the ballots do not take place until the polls close. The machines are fixed so that the votes are kept secret until polling officials give the ok. After the polls have closed in the contiguous United Stat. This does not include The US states of Hawaii or Alaska, or territories, and territories like the Aleutians, and Guam where time changes of Eleven or more hours and minimal populations have no effect on the outcome.

I will use myself as an example. South Carolina is a solid Republican State. Trump won hands down, and I knew he would. I still voted for Biden. Did I throw my vote away, no I voted.

I lived in Connecticut and worked in New York City, Manhattan. Everybody in the tri States of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut New of and about Trump, In the last election which he won, He didn't win a precinct (compares to a neighborhood in the UK). They all knew him.
    Rodney
    l

- - - Updated - - -

The bottom line Vic, the same rules that the UK has, apply here in the US..

Cheers Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney, that certainly wasn't the impression given by the BBC. On numerous occasion the quoted one or the other was ahead in one state, but the count wasn't finalised. In some case they were quoting the candidates ahead by the low thousands.
    Even discussed it with a friend and he couldn't believe it either.
    More fake news from the BBC.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 7th November 2020 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic
    Not just the need, sky news were using exactly the same data. As an example, throughout the day both news outlets were showing the actual number of votes counted for each candidate in both pensalvania and Ohio.
    Sky seems to have shifted their whole presentation team over to the USA, despite the ban on non essential travel. Those appearing in front of the cameras may call themselves reporters/corresponded, but all they are presenters reading from a script prepared by background staff for them.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Last edited by John Arton; 7th November 2020 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

However the old adage still applies here, ie be careful who you sh** on your way to the top, you meet them on the way back down again. The man is a loser, and a poor one at that, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Britain Beware Biden, he is Anti-British.

Fouro.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The relationship between Biden and Boris Johnson will almost certainly not be as close as that between the Prime Minister and President Trump.

The Donald has often spoken admiringly about Johnson (always referring to him as 'Boris') and gave him his personal mobile number, on which they talk on a regular basis.

It is true that Biden has none of Trump's frequently stated desire to rush through a free-trade deal with the UK. But there may be a back door to something like it, which could never happen under Trump.

Sure, Joe Biden will never be a fan of Brexit (he's said as much). But the idea that he's anti-British is simply not justified by his record.

K.

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    Britain Beware Biden, he is Anti-British.

Fouro.
    fouro i guess trump will be tearing his hair out.....and hopefully biden with his apparent memory loss will not remember whe we are .....

Keith at Tregenna Guest

In reality: A case of Mr. President, SIMPLY: You're fired. The American people have spoken.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 8th November 2020 at 09:40 AM.

11. Likes John Gill, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever we may think about the latest protagonists in the us election- the loser, a self promoting pompous liar, and the new man- allegedly suffering from mental issues and as old as Metheuthela's donkey, unlike our own UK system of government where most decisions are made by the faceless mandarins of Whitehall and spin doctors in Downing Sreet, compare that with a leader of the most powerful country on earth who could nuke an enemy without too much opposition from the Senate.
    Think 'Doctor Strangelove'
    Gilly
    R635733

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast