Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: US Election

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: US Election

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    My personal recollection of Irish Americans was that most of them didn't actually know where it was, in the 50's and 60's I was being asked when are the British going to get out of Dublin, mind you they did have broader Irish accents than my late father from Galway and my late wife who was from Kerry. In all my years visiting family in Ireland I never met anyone who had drunk a glass of green guiness like I'd seen in New York.
    hi ivan cloherty
    even obama was insistant he had irish blood.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"President Barack Obama’s Irish links to Moneygall, Co. Offaly came to light in 2007 following research conducted by Megan Smolenyak.

In 2008, Eneclann researchers, Fiona Fitzsimons and Helen Moss, researched President Obama’s Irish ancestry back from Falmouth Kearney, Obama’s 2nd great-grandfather to Obama’s 7th great-grandfather, Joseph Kearney born ca. 1698. They also traced close kinship – probably a brother – with the family of Michael Kearney, peruke maker, in Dublin."

- - - Updated - - -

OOps! Found more:

"In May 2011, Eneclann’s researchers announced that they had identified President Obama’s closest living Irish relatives in Ballygurteen, Co. Tipperary – Dick Benn and Tom Donovan. The story of the discovery was broadcast on RTE 1′s Nationwide programme on 20th May – watch the Nationwide programme on the Benn Family now."

Top o the marning to y'all. Rodney

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21 Did he ever try Walking Backwards to Christmas Across the Irish Sea. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#20 There must be a close affinity between the Irish and the Scots Ivan. My mother a real Scotswoman , her Grandfather was a clock maker from Dublin, so assume he was Irish. Believe have said before , and my Father being a Geordie , had great difficulty at times in knowing what either was talking about. Maybe why I had a bad stutter in my early years. The doodle bugs during the war years in London didnt improve the situation I suppose. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1... There are flaws in any election system if you look closely enough. The nearest thing to the truth you are going to get for a one man one vote system is by a show of hands. Even then you are liable to get some putting up both hands, and some taking tailors dummys with them and extending their hands as well. You have various media outlets who are and can be very biased in their reporting and should be known as fifth columnists. Why anyone wants to interfere in another countrys political way of life beats me. In a democratic country all partys should be able to vie for a position as government for that country and should be up only to the natives of that country to have the say who gets in. A lot has been said about China, China is one if not the oldest civilised countrys in the world , and would still be a country of warlords and peasants if hadnt gone the way of communism. Other countries went other ways , but to the people of China who know no different it is up to them to change through their own wishes , and not be coerced by others who also know no better than what they have lived with. The ordinary chinaman coming out of serfdom into a communist society must have said to himself I am better off now than what I was. Today the stranglehold that communism had on the community isnt so tight and is getting looser all the time and the Chinese system seems to work to the peoples advantage at the present time. Communism has been branded by the west as evil, to millions of people it is not so , and they have a right to their own views as long as they are peaceable. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Like you I believe that it is up to the people of a particular country to choose who governs them, I hear some say, but that particular Govt is to strong for the people to overthrow, the Chinese did with the Kuomintang, the Russians did with the Czar, so it is quite conceivable the same can happen again, but it is not up to another country to do it for them, else we would have another hundred year war like Afghanistan and the mess they left in Iraq and places like Vietnam.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If we are to believe the media, and most are corrupt, then China was bonking for Biden, Russia for Trump.
    But there was a very interesting article I found on the net about Trump written by a Democrat.
    He listed all the good things Trump did, quite impressive, but often not reported to the public.
    Being a Republican and most press the other side may have something to do with it.
    The problem was he was a 'Twitter' far too much and some of his comments were a bit over the top.
    Had he got rid of the Twitter machine and kept his mouth shut he would still be there.

Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many, or more important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 32 Presidents preceding him. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence , Missouri . His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.

When he retired from office in 1952 his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There was no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me.. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."

As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, too many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale (ie. Illinois ).

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!

We ought to have cloned him for telling it like it is and being frugal with our tax dollars!

Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date!

Image removed by sender.

shut he would still be there.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #20 There must be a close affinity between the Irish and the Scots Ivan. My mother a real Scotswoman , her Grandfather was a clock maker from Dublin, so assume he was Irish. Believe have said before , and my Father being a Geordie , had great difficulty at times in knowing what either was talking about. Maybe why I had a bad stutter in my early years. The doodle bugs during the war years in London didnt improve the situation I suppose. JS
    John, there are probably as many Irish/English marriages as there are Irish/Irish marriages and in the main Ireland and England live in harmony apart from a few bigots that you will find in any society.. On my many travels to Eire to visit family numerous people had said to me my boy married an English girl from xxor my daughter married an Englishman from yy. The average Irish/American has really no understanding of the situation twixt UK/Eire and everyone who lives in the UK is English and thus has to be hated for some perceived injustice in the past, they are unable to differentiate twixt our internal nations. I remember an Irish American saying to me thank god we in America have got rid of everything English, when I pointed out to him that they hadn't, he couldn't work out what was remaining, the penny dropped when I asked him what language was he speaking

Keith at Tregenna Guest

If MR T had any good real friends, someone
    would tell him his campaign is over.

Loser.com web domain links straight to Donald Trump’s Wikipedia page.

K.

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Louis the fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #21 Did he ever try Walking Backwards to Christmas Across the Irish Sea. JS
    hi john sabourn
    only a real irish man would do that,
    tom